40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#76 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:52 pm Anyone doing Skin Deep tomorrow? To get you in the mood, here's a period commercial break (admittedly a few weeks later than exactly 40 years ago).

youtu.be/5fKjaS7o-GE
I’m in! It’s not a favorite but it has some good elements.

Nice find with the clip!

History of the World Part 1 :lol:

Moses: “I bring to you the fifteen (drops and shatters one of the tablets) ...ten, the Ten Commandments.”

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#77 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:28 pm Moses: “I bring to you the fifteen (drops and shatters one of the tablets) ...ten, the Ten Commandments.”
Absolutely. I have to revisit that one. Also fun to see Cannonball Run advertised. Those were some fun days of entertainment.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#78 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:52 pm Anyone doing Skin Deep tomorrow? To get you in the mood, here's a period commercial break (admittedly a few weeks later than exactly 40 years ago).

youtu.be/5fKjaS7o-GE
Nicely done Styles!

I will be watching Skin Deep tomorrow and am looking forward to the comments!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#79 Post by ConchRepublican »

So, I got a jump on this after my dentist's appointment this afternoon.

After the lighthearted THFLGABOT we get three fairly serious and one could say dark, episodes in a row with No Need to Know, this episode, and next week's Never Again . . . . Never Again . . . before getting hit with one of the lesser episodes of the season. I think this is why I like the 1st season the best as they are still building the character of Thomas Magnum, as well as the rest of the cast, and we get more glimpses into how he got to where he is.

This is an episode that for me got better with time/re-watches. Maybe it was the explosion outside the tent and Magnum just firing blindly into the camp ( :shock: ) that set things off a little sideways for me initially . . . maybe it was that I couldn't buy the Erin Wolfe character as a Sybil Danning/Candy Darling type actress who suddenly learned how to act . . . maybe I thought the base plot was a little messy . . . maybe it was the tragic loss of camera tech Robert Van Der Kar that cast a pall over the filming . . . but I really have come to enjoy the interaction between the main cast, Ian McShane and the 'Nam flashbacks.

Especially the 'Nam flashbacks. That window into what is happening in Thomas' head at times, the memories/flashbacks that get conjured up. I think this episode becomes important to the storytelling of the season when you see what it's placed in between. Then we have the back and forth between Thomas and T.C. in the denouement which was very well done while still including a bit of TM's goofiness (a month isn't a long time to heal but I can't use that as an excuse" :lol: ). As noted by MM member Shermy 14 years ago: "Overall, an interesting look at the character being developed. It leaves the impression that they could've turned Magnum into a far more troubled vet. Fortunately, they soon found the proper balance, while still allowing Vietnam to be an ever-present memory." I think they delved more into that idea in season two's Wave Goodbye with Wings Hauser's character and Thomas' admission . . . but that's next season.

Some quality lines:
"I almost bit . . . . but I didn't"
"We've got a thumper"

Overall, a solid episode that I think . . . with a different actress playing Erin Wolfe and a little bit better writing, could have been in the VERY good category.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu

#80 Post by Pahonu »

ConchRepublican wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:05 pm So, I got a jump on this after my dentist's appointment this afternoon.

After the lighthearted THFLGABOT we get three fairly serious and one could say dark, episodes in a row with No Need to Know, this episode, and next week's Never Again . . . . Never Again . . . before getting hit with one of the lesser episodes of the season. I think this is why I like the 1st season the best as they are still building the character of Thomas Magnum, as well as the rest of the cast, and we get more glimpses into how he got to where he is.

This is an episode that for me got better with time/re-watches. Maybe it was the explosion outside the tent and Magnum just firing blindly into the camp ( :shock: ) that set things off a little sideways for me initially . . . maybe it was that I couldn't buy the Erin Wolfe character as a Sybil Danning/Candy Darling type actress who suddenly learned how to act . . . maybe I thought the base plot was a little messy . . . maybe it was the tragic loss of camera tech Robert Van Der Kar that cast a pall over the filming . . . but I really have come to enjoy the interaction between the main cast, Ian McShane and the 'Nam flashbacks.

Especially the 'Nam flashbacks. That window into what is happening in Thomas' head at times, the memories/flashbacks that get conjured up. I think this episode becomes important to the storytelling of the season when you see what it's placed in between. Then we have the back and forth between Thomas and T.C. in the denouement which was very well done while still including a bit of TM's goofiness (a month isn't a long time to heal but I can't use that as an excuse" :lol: ). As noted by MM member Shermy 14 years ago: "Overall, an interesting look at the character being developed. It leaves the impression that they could've turned Magnum into a far more troubled vet. Fortunately, they soon found the proper balance, while still allowing Vietnam to be an ever-present memory." I think they delved more into that idea in season two's Wave Goodbye with Wings Hauser's character and Thomas' admission . . . but that's next season.

Some quality lines:
"I almost bit . . . . but I didn't"
"We've got a thumper"

Overall, a solid episode that I think . . . with a different actress playing Erin Wolfe and a little bit better writing, could have been in the VERY good category.
Good insight on the development of TM’s character as a vet. As I posted above, it’s not one of my favorites, but I’m looking forward to watching it a little more tonight. This is an episode that I always felt a bit too morose so I tend to pass it up. That said, the things I remember clearly about it are exactly those things. The opening scene with the shotgun cutting to TM’s flashback, Ian McShane in a drunken stupor, the morgue scene, Higgins lighthearted way of explaining a shotgun blast blowing a head off! Then the final screen card about the cameraman’s death. The rest of the plot is far less clear in my memory.

The single thing that always stood out to me the most though, was the ending with TC and TM in denial about their flashbacks and the abrupt freeze frame ending. The two vets couldn’t even open up about it to each other. I understand somewhat as I have several uncles who served there and none of them ever talked about it, at least not in front of family and friends. I think I believed they might be opening up a bit more with fellow vets, so that makes that a pretty powerful scene in quite a subtle way.

You’re point about the direction they could have gone is one I’ve not thought about before. I’m also intrigued by the idea of three very dark episodes in a row and whether that’s fairly coincidental or perhaps more considered. I would agree with using the word dark, the Troubles, the Vietnam War, and the Holocaust. :shock:

I think tonight I’m going to try and focus on something I don’t remember about the episode and see what happens.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by T.Q. »

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#82 Post by Pahonu »

I have a couple of new thoughts about the episode. Continuing my observations about the photography itself, the opening suicide scene was well done and the cut to TM’s flashback fits with my previous comments about there being more interesting photography in the earlier episodes.

This is the first episode of the series to show the back side of the main house of the estate, and I believe only one of two times total. They have used several unique views of the estate in just these first few episodes and I think this does a good job of establishing that it is a very large estate, though it isn’t as large in reality. I recall seeing an interview with Bellisario where he talked about filming very carefully so as not to show the neighboring properties and ruin the illusion of the estate’s vastness. There’s a reason the guest house lanai always has a blind between the columns opposite the stairs. The actual boathouse structure is right at the property wall and looks into the neighboring Shriners Club. The main house itself is also right up against the perimeter wall on the opposite side of the property, so all the lawn we see between them is essentially the entire property. The photography location choices made in most of the later episodes don’t seem as unique or creative. They often fall back on using an establishing shot and cut to the interior sets at the studio, or uses the ubiquitous driveway area as the exterior of choice. There are a few surprises though.

As far as the story itself, a good beginning and a good ending, but I find the middle scenes at Erin’s house start to drag. The episode spends a long time there and starts to feel a bit static to me. This is one of several episodes credited solely as Bellisario’s writing and it’s probably my least favorite of those. It’s also the first of his scripts not to be directed by him, though there are several others in the future he doesn’t direct. Interestingly, he directed The Woman on the Beach in season two which he didn’t write. I don’t know if he ever did that again. He wrote six episodes plus the pilot in this first, writers strike-shortened season.

Then there’s the oddity of TM casually eating the yogurt out of the dead woman’s fridge :shock: which had its own discussion on the forum a long time ago.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:24 pm As far as the story itself, a good beginning and a good ending, but I find the middle scenes at Erin’s house start to drag. The episode spends a long time there and starts to feel a bit static to me.
Those middle scenes with TM at Erin's house are actually my favorite scenes in the episode. Definitely my favorite "Magnum investigates" moment of the series. There's something very intimate about it here, unlike his typical snooping around that he does. I think it's because he begins to develop some kind of bond with this deceased woman that gives it an extra edge. TM's monologues during these quiet moments really work well, inviting us to secretly visit with him in this empty house. Also the way the house is dimly lit works really well with the darker subject matter, giving off a certain film-noir vibe. Big fan of the episode and definitely a top 5 for the season.

I love this trio of darker episodes (as was already mentioned here) - "No Need to Know", "Skin Deep", "Never Again... Never Again". So early in the series we get such 3 stellar episodes! MPI certainly hit the ground running.

Styles Bitchley

#84 Post by Styles Bitchley »

It was a delight returning to this old familiar story. As pointed out by others, the writing was a little weak--a starlet is camping on her own on a remote island and nobody knows about it? How did the videocassette get from the recorder to the bookshelf? Forensics didn't flag anything fishy? Quincy would have been all over this.

Nevertheless, it was a great viewing. I love the voiceover in this episode too. I also love how TC whips out his inner "Shaft" at the end as he holds the flare gun at David's face: "I wouldn' do that, boy!"
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#85 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:24 pm As far as the story itself, a good beginning and a good ending, but I find the middle scenes at Erin’s house start to drag. The episode spends a long time there and starts to feel a bit static to me.
Those middle scenes with TM at Erin's house are actually my favorite scenes in the episode. Definitely my favorite "Magnum investigates" moment of the series. There's something very intimate about it here, unlike his typical snooping around that he does. I think it's because he begins to develop some kind of bond with this deceased woman that gives it an extra edge. TM's monologues during these quiet moments really work well, inviting us to secretly visit with him in this empty house. Also the way the house is dimly lit works really well with the darker subject matter, giving off a certain film-noir vibe. Big fan of the episode and definitely a top 5 for the season.

I love this trio of darker episodes (as was already mentioned here) - "No Need to Know", "Skin Deep", "Never Again... Never Again". So early in the series we get such 3 stellar episodes! MPI certainly hit the ground running.
The trio are definitely solid episodes and dark, but only one would make my top five for season 1, my favorite. I still somehow tend to pass this one up more than the other two and I associate the episode with the Vietnam elements more than anything else. Perhaps Bellisario was just too good with those scenes because they stick in my head more than the plot generally. Maybe that’s also because Vietnam was almost a taboo topic when I first watched. That element, and the cameraman’s death, which is obviously tragic and memorable, stick with me most.

I can certainly see a bit of the film noir feel, and it is very reminiscent of Preminger’s Laura in terms of plot, as I remember you have written about. To me though, film noir is so much about photographic style and I think the opening scene captured that somewhat, but more so than other scenes. The dimly lit house is noirish (a word?) but I think I might just be struggling with the concept of MPI noir overall. It’s not why I’m drawn to the show I suspect. I don’t care much for the Murder By Night episode either, though I do like Past Tense.

The voice-over is good, and much better than many other episodes in that it does more than just advance the plot, it gives us emotional insight. In this episode it’s absolutely crucial, because TM is developing a relationship of sorts with Erin, as you said, but it’s through the video tapes. Maybe that’s a harder sell for me than dialogue between actors, I’m not certain, but the voice over here is definitely solid while it’s very hit and miss in other episodes.

It’s not in my top 5, that would include (only in chronological order) the pilot, China Doll, No Need to Know, Lest We Forget, and J Digger Doyle, but it would be in the top half for the season. What are your top five?

Pahonu

#86 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:55 pm It was a delight returning to this old familiar story. As pointed out by others, the writing was a little weak--a starlet is camping on her own on a remote island and nobody knows about it? How did the videocassette get from the recorder to the bookshelf? Forensics didn't flag anything fishy? Quincy would have been all over this.

Nevertheless, it was a great viewing. I love the voiceover in this episode too. I also love how TC whips out his inner "Shaft" at the end as he holds the flare gun at David's face: "I wouldn' do that, boy!"
I hadn’t remembered TC’s line at the end and enjoyed seeing it again. Inner Shaft... well put!

Pahonu

#87 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 pm TM's monologues during these quiet moments really work well, inviting us to secretly visit with him in this empty house.
Hey Ivan, if you’re a fan of good voice over narration as you describe here, I suggest the series Harry-O with David Janssen. I know I’ve told you about it before, but many critics consider it some of the best voice over ever used in television. Janssen’s voice is so world-weary and his comments are so reflective that one mystery author, Max Allen Collins, called it poetic. The first half of the first season is fantastic, and what follows is still very well done.

Styles Bitchley

#88 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:23 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 pm TM's monologues during these quiet moments really work well, inviting us to secretly visit with him in this empty house.
Hey Ivan, if you’re a fan of good voice over narration as you describe here, I suggest the series Harry-O with David Janssen. I know I’ve told you about it before, but many critics consider it some of the best voice over ever used in television. Janssen’s voice is so world-weary and his comments are so reflective that one mystery author, Max Allen Collins, called it poetic. The first half of the first season is fantastic, and what follows is still very well done.
Okay. I’ve gotta get in on this too. I’m a big Spillane can and he used to collaborate with Collins even on some of the Mike Hammer novels. I love old school film noir, especially the voiceover element.

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#89 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:29 am
Pahonu wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:23 am
Okay. I’ve gotta get in on this too. I’m a big Spillane can and he used to collaborate with Collins even on some of the Mike Hammer novels. I love old school film noir, especially the voiceover element.
I think you might like the series. Janssen plays an ex-cop pensioned off the force because he was shot and he still has the bullet in his back. He lives in a old shack at the beach and takes cases to supplement his pension, but he’s not a typical detective. His car breaks down all the time so he uses the bus, he hobbles around a lot because of the bullet avoiding physical confrontations, and would really rather just be working on fixing up his old sailboat, The Answer.

The only negative is that after the first half season the network started to fiddle with the premise. Some changes worked, like bringing in Anthony Zerbe as his new police contact for which he won an Emmy. The other changes removed a lot of the uniqueness of the character but it remained a solid series nonetheless. It only ran two seasons from 74-76 and debuted one day apart from The Rockford Files, my absolute favorite show. The later house he lives in was just down the beach from Jim’s trailer in Paradise Cove, Malibu.

Here’s a good link:

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/harry_o.html

I got as a gift, a book co-authored by Collins when I was in high school. It’s now over 30 years out of date, but I still have it, and there are still a few series mentioned in it I haven’t been able to track down. I haven’t been disappointed by his recommendations. I haven’t ever read any of his books which I know are very numerous, but I did enjoy the Road to Perdition film based on his novel.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/788 ... ics_Choice

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by T.Q. »

January 22nd, 2021

[CBS 9:00] Magnum, P.I. [Reg]: Never Again, Never Again
Season 1, episode 7

W: Babs Greyhosky D: Robert Loggia
With Hanna Hertelendy (Lena Greenberg), Robert Ellenstein (Sol Greenberg), Todd Camenson (Karl), Robert Silva (Police Officer), Clay Wai (Miko), Glenn Cannon (Dr. Kessler), Earl Kingston (Ruben), Joslyn Suan (Nurse), Lisa Hullana (Nurse), Rick Quan (Intern).

Magnum helps two elderly Jewish Holocaust survivors who are being pursued by Nazis.

I might have to jump into this.

You guys are having too much fun.

And some great new insights.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.