How did you get into Magnum?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Leopard71
Lieutenant

#76 Post by Leopard71 »

Mac,

yeah thats true..During Magnums run and on his show,,even the older women were lookers..well cept Agatha..but even she wasnt hefty or repulsive looking......

just a summary of the women in the cast was impressive..many went on to stardom elsewhere..

at the time, I never even realized that Sharon Stone was hot..not till later...

hmmm..this topic makes me want to dive into my Magnum DVD hi lites..just for laughs. as IMO its much better than what we have now

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Little Garwood »

MACattack wrote:Tv has deteriorated since Magnum went off the air.
I've been saying that for twenty-two years! :lol: I thought it was just my reactionary behavior again, but television networks have spent billions of dollars to keep me from watching the tube!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by MACattack »

my wife watches CSI and Law & Order: SVU. Still not as good as MPI. At least Mariska Hargitay is hot!!!!
I just don't give a damn!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#79 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MACattack wrote:Tv has deteriorated since Magnum went off the air. What do we have coming from Hawai'i now? Dog the Bounty Hunter? That show sucks. Where's the camaraderie? Dog needs to get a haircut and a new wife!
I'm a Lost addict. Sure, it's not the same type of show, but it has a good cast, awesome scenery, and great writing (although I do get annoyed by how long it takes for certain plots to unfold).
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by MACattack »

I've only watched LOST maybe three times. It's a pretty interesting show, I'll give it props. Plus Mathew Fox is a great actor. Maybe he could play Magnum in the new movie. ( I say maybe because I'm loyal to Selleck, but don't want the producers to screw up the project too much!)
I just don't give a damn!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by charybdis1966 »

Returning to the original question I watched this during it's original run on ITV in the UK as a teenager.

It's being shown on a satellite channel at the moment(DMAX) although it only seems to be the first 3 seasons on show.

Milo Minderbinder
Lieutenant

#82 Post by Milo Minderbinder »

I posted this as part of a question in the Cast and Crew section, but it explains how I first got interested in the show so I am putting it here as well.

---
When I was in high school (I can't remember exactly when, but it was probably the fall of 1980), I went to HI with my family and on the flight back to the main land, I was seated next to a guy who was telling me about a new show for TV that he was a part of and he thought it was going to be a big hit. This was before Magnum PI had aired and he showed me a bunch of snapshots of Tom Selleck and asked if I had ever seen him on TV. Naturally, I did not recognize Selleck because this was right before he got famous.

I do recall the guy had some pictures of a scene with an Asian character - I think it was the episode where Magnum knows that if the guy blinks or shuts his eyes, he is about to strike with a martial arts blow. In the episode, I think Magnum shoots him when he blinks.

Anyway, the guy on the plane also told me that he had been a pilot in Vietnam and was selected because he looked a bit like TC (this guy was black and had a similar build). So, this guy was kind of like a real life TC. I also recall now that he was missing a part of a finger and I think he said it happened in Vietnam.

Styles Bitchley

#83 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MACattack wrote:Plus Mathew Fox is a great actor.
Yeah, he is a pretty good actor.

A while back when my wife and I were at the Starbucks in the Honolulu airport waiting for a flight to Maui, he was sitting right next to us with his family. We're both pretty into Lost, so it was a cool experience.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Hawaii84
Captain

#84 Post by Hawaii84 »

Don't remember exactly when I got hooked...but I know I was a sophomore in HS....1981....Used to buy a can of pineapple every week to eat during the show..Wow....that seems like forever ago.

Styles Bitchley

#85 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Hawaii84 wrote:Used to buy a can of pineapple every week to eat during the show.
Hahaha, that's awesome. :lol: For me, it's usually a beer, but maybe I'll give the pineapple a go next time.

- J.Q.H.

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#86 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

ha ha!!! :D

I do the same but with a pair of...................DONUTS. :D
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by Coops »

Macadamia nuts here. When I get to the bottom I let out a John Hillerman "Heeeeee-yah!" and then cut the air with the edge of my hand.

Styles Bitchley

#88 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Coops wrote:Macadamia nuts here. When I get to the bottom I let out a John Hillerman "Heeeeee-yah!" and then cut the air with the edge of my hand.
:lol:

- J.Q.H.

Lou Whitaker
Ensign

#89 Post by Lou Whitaker »

I watched it when it originally aired. My mother and I would watch together. I was a fan then, and have watched on every network it has re-aired since.
Now that the seasons are on DVD, pure bliss.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Danno »

The cool older kids at school always watched Magnum. 8)

I knew it vaguely as the show about the guy with the cool car who had a butler and lived in paradise and was possibly a cousin of one of the guys in the A-Team or something. It was sort of merged together as I was so young.

Not until the series came out on DVD did I watch it properly. It brought back a lot of good memories of the 1980s... mix this with a genuinely great cast, stunning locations and character driven episodes and you're down the rabbit hole, lost in the Magniverse, exploring Rubber Chicken's guide on Google Earth at 3am.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org