The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#706 Post by ConchRepublican »

Welcome Walken1974!

It's great that you have the opportunity to make the pilgrimage!! I hope to next year . . . and hope the Estate is still standing.

BTW . . . I see your handle and I can't help but get this image in my head:

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#707 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome aboard Walken. Always glad to see new folks, it further reinforces the idea that there are more than a few of us that love this series, for whatever reason. We all seem to have our own attachment in one form or another.

Glad to see people that are actually in a position to experience the islands up close and personal, hope it turns out to be all that you expect and more.

Don't forget to take lots of pictures and post them here on your return! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican

#708 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:Don't forget to take lots of pictures and post them here on your return! :magnum:
What he said!!! :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#709 Post by Pahonu »

Sorry if this gets long, but this weekend I visited a historic home here in the LA area and was struck by the similarities to Pahonu. It's called the Adamson House and it's located on beachfront property in Malibu. http://www.adamsonhouse.org/ I've been to the home several times before, but with all the talk lately of Pahonu and what might happen to it, I realized a connection between the two for the first time. After reading a book about it that I got at the gift shop (the former guest house) I think I can imagine better what life at Pahonu must have been like for Eve Anderson's grandparents. The Adamson House is now a state park preserved for all to enjoy. Sadly, I don't think such a future exists for Pahonu.

To start, the two homes were completed just three years apart (1930/33) in the Spanish Colonial Revival style of architecture and located on fairly large, incredibly scenic, beachfront locations. Pahonu has views of Rabbit Island, the turtle enclosure that gives it its name, and the Ko'olau Mountains behind. The Adamson House looks out at the famous Surfrider Beach (think Gidget), the Malibu Lagoon and Pier, and the Santa Monica Mountains behind. They were both vacation homes when they were completed and were remotely located at that time. Set decorator Rick Romer wrote about how Ms Anderson's grandparents arrived by boat for their stays before the highway was completed. The Adamson family also sometimes arrived by boat at the pier they had built, or took a very twisty coast road that predates the Pacific Coast Highway.

The two estates are laid out similarly with an entrance at one end from the highway (Kalanianaole Hwy./Pacific Coast Hwy.) and the main house at the other with a long curving drive connecting them. They both have gatehouses at the entrance and boathouses with terraces above them, as well as lush gardens and landscaping. They both have five-car garages located in a wing adjacent to the main house, and courtyards defined on two sides by the home and two by walls. They both have large second floor balconies opening onto multiple bedrooms. They both have multiple servant's bedrooms and a service wing as well. Being in the same architectural style, they share many common features including tile roofs and floors, wrought iron railings, arches and balconies. Pahonu has the tidal pool and the Adamson house has a pool and pool house, but it's a saltwater pool.

It's an amazing set of similarities. I also feel like I can make sense out of Pahonu's layout and how it was lived in based on what I read in the book. I think it was probably very similar to how the Adamsons lived. When they were not in residence only two or three servants were there. The Adamsons had a maried couple who lived in the gatehouse year round and he took care of the house and grounds with her help. There was another room in the gatehouse for a gardener (Kenji!) as well. When the family came they brought personal servants with them from their other home in the city. This included their driver, a housekeeper, and a nanny for the children who also did the cooking. They had lots of animals on the property including a goat (Horace!), dogs, but sadly not Dobermans. Eventually the home became a year round residence for the family.

Just my thougts, and I encourage you to poke around the website. If you want to find it on Google maps, just enter Malibu Pier and look for the large residence to the west.

By the way, the Adamson house was spared from demolition after a long battle because of its extensive use of decorative tile from the Malibu pottery, which was deemed historic. The family also owned the pottery. I can only hope a similar fate awaits Pahonu.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#710 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, what a beautiful house with an interesting history. Thanks for the info Pahonu. The "Taj Mahal of Tile". :)

I still can't believe the Anderson Estate doesn't have any interior pictures included with the listing pages. I thought that was required in this day and age; pictures and maybe a 360 panorama video. :?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#711 Post by KENJI »

Thanks for the info Pahonu!
I hate seeing old beautiful buildings being destroyed so it's nice to see one saved!!
As for the Anderson property......I'm really worried!!!

Hi James.....pictures /video are great for getting exposure for a listing and possibly help in a quicker sale, but in this case I'm not to sure.
I'm guessing here..... I think Mrs. Anderson is sticking to her guns on the privacy issue, knowing perfectly well that we (MMs) are foaming at the mouth waiting to get inside. Only qualified buyers are getting the chance to peek inside, maybe one of them will post a few pics down the road. Another angle..... a realtor normally takes pictures of only the best features and I'm wondering at that particular price point the interior is too tired or not worthy to show.......which makes me worry that it is too far gone - I hope not! I still think the realtor should've posted a better pic of the tidal pool, the front gate and maybe an aerial shot of the whole property, but having said that...........less exposure might be good in this case.....less interest, less chance it will sell fast especially at $15.75 million. I don't think she is in a rush to sell (based on the high price), but if someone shows her that amount of money she will hand over the keys......everything is for sale, if the price is right. I still think it will be tough for her to leave though.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#712 Post by Sam »

I've made some inquiries and the two things I can tell you are
One ...The property is not available for showing for at least 2 weeks
Two...At this time there are no photos but coming.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#713 Post by KENJI »

It's sounds like they are bringing in a make-up crew to add a little lipstick.....clean it up, hide the rough bits with flowers/foilage etc., maybe even stage it with furniture....which makes sense. Looking forward to it - thanks Sam!!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#714 Post by Sam »

Exactly my thoughts Kenji,dump 50k to spruce it up.

Well we knew that there would be some photos.The only person that would buy it sight unseen is that guy in White Bear Lake Minnesota and it's freezing out.Ha

What I don't know is if the photos will be added to the listing or shown only to pre-approved buyers.
At least there is some hope of seeing the interior.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#715 Post by KENJI »

Sam wrote:Exactly my thoughts Kenji,dump 50k to spruce it up.

Well we knew that there would be some photos.The only person that would buy it sight unseen is that guy in White Bear Lake Minnesota and it's freezing out.Ha

What I don't know is if the photos will be added to the listing or shown only to pre-approved buyers.
At least there is some hope of seeing the interior.
Hi Sam,

Yes your right..... $50k even $100k at this price point is a drop in the bucket and well worth it.

Good point on the photos and pre-approved buyers....I still see pics being leaked if that is the case so I think we will get a peek inside...just don't know when.

Minnesota.....brrrr!!!!! They have had a real rotten winter that is for sure!!!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#716 Post by KENJI »

I've just watched Vegas - Aloha, You're Dead again and I really think the interior footage of the estate MIGHT be real. If not, they did a great job in blending the interior with the exterior shots....look at the beams on the inside and how they match the beams supporting the upper covered lanai. The fireplace seems to match with location of the real one (assuming there is another room behind the door that we can see in the shot. I know Hollywood is good at fooling us so it will be interesting to see if the pending listing pics match this show. Can anyone post some interior pics from this show so we can discuss some more? Another interesting angle shows that slightly raised roof on the beach wing of the house and it does look open underneath which points to more ventilation for the house. Any thoughts? If you love Pahonu you have to watch this episode....lots of footage!
It was neat to see some familiar faces from Magnum in this episode, including the Hawaiian FBI agent who I think was in Dead Man's Channel playing a possible kahuna.(....correct me if I'm wrong).
Last edited by KENJI on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConchRepublican

#717 Post by ConchRepublican »

Sam wrote:I've made some inquiries and the two things I can tell you are
One ...The property is not available for showing for at least 2 weeks
Two...At this time there are no photos but coming.
Great minds. You joined Prudential Locations and heard from Gil as well? :wink: :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#718 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote:Sorry if this gets long, but this weekend I visited a historic home here in the LA area and was struck by the similarities to Pahonu. It's called the Adamson House and it's located on beachfront property in Malibu. http://www.adamsonhouse.org/ . . .
Interesting stuff. I think you are on to something about the layouts. Thanks for sharing!!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#719 Post by Sam »

KENJI wrote:I've just watched Vegas - Aloha, You're Dead again and I really think the interior footage of the estate MIGHT be real. If not, they did a great job in blending the interior with the exterior shots....look at the beams on the inside and how they match the beams supporting the upper covered lanai. The fireplace seems to match with location of the real one (assuming there is another room behind the door that we can see in the shot. I know Hollywood is good at fooling us so it will be interesting to see if the pending listing pics match this show. Can anyone post some interior pics from this show so we can discuss some more? Another interesting angle shows that slightly raised roof on the beach wing of the house and it does look open underneath which points to more ventilation for the house. Any thoughts? If you love Pahonu you have to watch this episode....lots of footage!
It was neat to see some familiar faces from Magnum in this episode, including the Hawaiian FBI agent who I think was in Dead Man's Channel playing a possible kahuna.(....correct me if I'm wrong).

Where did you see this?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#720 Post by Sam »

Was it this room? It was used in the original HFO.