The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#601 Post by KENJI »

Great to see that the sand is back in the tidal pool!
Thanks for sharing!!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#602 Post by Braddah Kimo »

the sand was out of the tidal pool? where I been!?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#603 Post by KENJI »

Hi BK,

Don't you remember a few members talking about Mrs. Anderson dredging the tidal pool....I still don't believe it, as the gov't is pretty strict on things like that. I just made the comment more in fun. I know with some of the storms the sand leaves or moves down the beach and other storms it comes back. You should know more about it than me.....what is your take?

darla
Lieutenant Junior Grade

robin's nest estate

#604 Post by darla »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Just came back from Hawaii.

It seems to me, that a lot of gardening work has been done in the last months, the window has been repaired (redone ) the beach right from the beach entrance has a lot more sand and it seems to me, that work has been done on the side of the boathouse.

Pics follow.
Wouldn't it be great if there was a magnum movie in the works. Maybe the estate is being fixed up in anticipation. Oh well, wishful thinking!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#605 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Kenji, just read that. where I been. again. haha.
ok, tidal movement and seawalls create an effect whereby sand is displaced greater than beaches where there are no seawalls. In fact word is getting around to outlaw seawalls as it is so destructive of shorelines, if they are not outlawed by now.....
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-05-23/ ... pplication

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#606 Post by Pahonu »

Braddah Kimo wrote:Kenji, just read that. where I been. again. haha.
ok, tidal movement and seawalls create an effect whereby sand is displaced greater than beaches where there are no seawalls. In fact word is getting around to outlaw seawalls as it is so destructive of shorelines, if they are not outlawed by now.....
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-05-23/ ... pplication
Great article, Kimo!

People argued sooooo much on that thread about if the tidal pool had been dredged or not. I weighed in comparing the sand loss to many similar examples here in Southern California that happened from storms, etc... Some members just couldn't believe the sand could move so quickly and that it had to have been dredged. I think this is the proof we were all looking for then.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#607 Post by KENJI »

Hi BK

Thanks for the great article!

I think global warming and even higher water levels will come into play in the years to come and in some cases waterfront homes will vanish into the ocean.
Lets hope this doesn't happen to Pahonu!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#608 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:Hi BK

I think global warming and even higher water levels will come into play in the years to come... Lets hope this doesn't happen to Pahonu!
I'm pretty tall. I think I'll be OK, but thanks for the concern. ;)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#609 Post by J.J. Walters »

I knew it was the sea wall! I knew it!.... No, not really, but now I know. Great article, thanks for the link. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#610 Post by Braddah Kimo »

The subject of seawalls has been a bone of contention for many of us here for quite some time. My neighborhood beach I grew up in, Lanikai is largely gone thanks to seawalls having been erected over the course of a couple decades. Foreigners moving here to buy up the quaint cute plantation homes in Lanikai decimating them and erecting their McMansions and then their seawalls have all but destroyed the neighborhood. And then some. This is one of the many things that have changed the area. As they say; Don't get me started.
As collateral damage of the Seawall Syndrome, we see Kailua beach being eroded right up to the Ironwood trees' roots and into the grassy park. This has resulted in 5 to 6 foot high cliffs, exposed roots, dying trees, cut trees... This area remained as it was for sooo many decades, suddenly it no longer resembles its former self. Such a shame.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#611 Post by Lily »

Passed by the estate last week and despite high winds and rainy weather was able to spend a short time on the beach there.

Sand covers the steps to the estate again, yet the main wall remains as tall as ever, so no new sand accumulation there.

Nothing to report re the house as all looked the same as last year apart from the repaired window and chimney which someone else reported on here. Just wish the bad paint job on the boathouse could be finished but somehow don't think this will ever happen which is sad.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#612 Post by Braddah Kimo »

If you ask Eve she would probably respond with " Look at this estate. Can you assume the upkeep? No, I think a storage shed paint job will have to wait... and wait."

tsm4
Ensign

#613 Post by tsm4 »

I lived on Oahu for three years as a military officer and never saw any walls or brick sidewalk like that in my travels in town.

Honolulu and the west side are actually pretty dry so the mold/algae on the brick leads me to believe it is on the East side of the island.

There's nothing like that brick wall on the north shore.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#614 Post by steveadl »

Tsm4,

Yeah the estate is on the eastern shore of Oahu, about half way between Sea Life Park and Waimanalo. Earlier posts in this thread should give you Google Maps links.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#615 Post by Danno »

Last week my wife and I spent a few hours swimming in the tidal pool and chatting to some local kids.

There were a fair few needlefish and I snorkelled outside the rock perimeter and followed a honu for a little while as well. Pretty cruisy sort of day.

There's a guard dog at Shriner's Beach Club next door... he's a German Shepard, but you keep thinking it's Apollo or Zeus when he barks at the local kids splashing around.

Not much to report though- it looks the same as it did last year and the year before that...
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org