The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#586 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote:I just received S4 on DVD and have *finally* completed my MPI collection!

Maybe it's just my excitement over finally having this set, but it seems that season four is the most "Estate heavy" season, in that there are several different angles in regards to filming, and we see lots more of the place than we did in the first three seasons...even the upstairs!
I agree with you, but much of it is new sets, like the upstairs, not the actual estate. The Case of the Red-Faced Thespian is in that season, right? That episode is almost entirely set at the estate, but all the new indoor locations are sets. I'm always on the lookout for actual estate scenes to help me with my SketchUp model, so sets don't interest me as much. There are a smattering of unique actual estate locations spread out throughout the seasons. Then there's Hawaii Five-O which used actual estate interiors. Those scenes help me the most.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#587 Post by Kevster »

This may have been noted, and it isn't the literal estate...

Fantasyfloorplans

The fictional guesthouse:

http://www.fantasyfloorplans.com/Fantas ... Print.html
Trust Me!!!

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#588 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Faceman
Lieutenant

#589 Post by Faceman »

After finishing my first 3 seasons of MPI, i have fallin in love with the masters estate ( and the whole show of course!), it's amazing how much watching the hawaii life cheers me up when living in wintery ireland. It's quite a trek away but i have to make it there sometime over the next couple of years, maybe it tie in as a honeymoon destination or something but i have promised myself i will go. Been around oz and asia but havn't even been stateside yet so look forward to it.

It's a pity the estate isn't open for tourists, like another fav of mine, southfork in dallas. But even just visiting the tidal pool area around the back which is open to the public should be a great experience. Just wondring how other fans found the experience, or was it a bit of an anti climax?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#590 Post by Steve »

Faceman wrote:After finishing my first 3 seasons of MPI, i have fallin in love with the masters estate ( and the whole show of course!), it's amazing how much watching the hawaii life cheers me up when living in wintery ireland. It's quite a trek away but i have to make it there sometime over the next couple of years, maybe it tie in as a honeymoon destination or something but i have promised myself i will go. Been around oz and asia but havn't even been stateside yet so look forward to it.

It's a pity the estate isn't open for tourists, like another fav of mine, southfork in dallas. But even just visiting the tidal pool area around the back which is open to the public should be a great experience. Just wondring how other fans found the experience, or was it a bit of an anti climax?
I think James described it best. As you walk up the beach and see Rabbit Island, the lava rocks forming the tidal pool, the slab, the guest house and strain to see parts of the main house you are on massive system overload. No matter what condition the property is in you have memories of various episodes and where the characters were standing, sitting, arguing or just plain teaching a fine lass to snorkle. My only regret was I convinced my wife to tag along as she is not a fan and was ready to move on to the next touristy spot as soon as we arrived and took a few photos. Come hell or "low water" I am going back someday, by myself and going to spend some time there swimming,sunning and meditating on paradise..........

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#591 Post by steveadl »

It was brilliant. Loved seeing the front of the estate, swimming in the tidal pool and seeing as much as possible through the fence of the property on beach side.

A definite must stop for us MPI lovers when over there. Next time I'll probably go by myself as well so I'm not conscious of how long I want to spend there. :D

Faceman
Lieutenant

#592 Post by Faceman »

I actually have the tidal pool picture as my screensaver, and it's staying there as motivation. To me it just looks brilliant, and as the lads say, the amount of episodes and memories we have of Tom and others swimming and lounging around would make it special to visit. That's the difference to the A-team for example, where the Van is the iconic set as such.

I see what you mean about visiting it alone, the wife to be would only be a small fan, and i can imagine wanting to just stay there all day once i'm there! Chances are i will only ever be there once

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#593 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Just came back from Hawaii.

It seems to me, that a lot of gardening work has been done in the last months, the window has been repaired (redone ) the beach right from the beach entrance has a lot more sand and it seems to me, that work has been done on the side of the boathouse.

Pics follow.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#594 Post by steveadl »

Sounds good, looking forward to photos!

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#595 Post by Kevster »

steveadl wrote:Sounds good, looking forward to photos!
Ditto!!! :magnum:
Trust Me!!!

Binky Farmbush
Lieutenant

#596 Post by Binky Farmbush »

Faceman wrote:After finishing my first 3 seasons of MPI, i have fallin in love with the masters estate ( and the whole show of course!), it's amazing how much watching the hawaii life cheers me up when living in wintery ireland. It's quite a trek away but i have to make it there sometime over the next couple of years, maybe it tie in as a honeymoon destination or something but i have promised myself i will go. Been around oz and asia but havn't even been stateside yet so look forward to it.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Hawaii back in May/June 2010. I used to say that if I ever got married Hawaii was on top of the list of honeymoon destinations! There were lots of great experiences in Hawaii over our 3 week stay but I gotta say one of the highlights was visiting the tidal pool on a beautiful sunny day and spending a few hours there lapping the experience up. I have seen many beautiful beaches in Australia but there was something magical about swimming and chillin in the tidal pool. The experience exceeded my expectations and god I am glad I did it! Even when I think of the experience today, I am flooded by happy memories!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#597 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

So, here are the promised pic from end of november 2012:

KKC beachbar:
Magnum's jogging beach:
beach house recent state:
"The shot" (Tidal pool)
the repaired window:
significantly more sand in front of the wall than last year:
side view from the boathouse:
plaque at the Kahala resort:
pic from that set:
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#598 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, great picture man! Thanks! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#599 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

more pics added ;)

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#600 Post by steveadl »

Awesome pics mate