The "Get Wet" cap

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#46 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nicely done erock308! It looks great! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Kwai Bridge
Captain

Re: The "Get Wet" cap

#47 Post by Kwai Bridge »

I don't know if anyone is interested in this anymore, but it's time to revive this topic! As it happens, I have graduated in graphic design, among a few other multimedia related things.

When I get back from work I will try to recreate the logo in high resolution and put it on a hat. I've always wanted one of these, now it's time to make one. :D

P.S. I know it's been four years, but did anyone had any luck with Downing Hawaii reissuing the hats?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#48 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Kwai Bridge wrote:I don't know if anyone is interested in this anymore, but it's time to revive this topic! As it happens, I have graduated in graphic design, among a few other multimedia related things.

When I get back from work I will try to recreate the logo in high resolution and put it on a hat. I've always wanted one of these, now it's time to make one. :D
Awesome to have someone with your skills around! How about taking a crack at the Coops label?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#49 Post by Kwai Bridge »

After HOURS of searching, I found a great reference material on some god forsaken Japanese site. I also think this is the first time we've seen an actual "GET WET" logo outside of the show.

Recreation should be a breeze now.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by KENJI »

Nice find K.B.!
Thanks for sharing!!

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#51 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Here it is, ladies and gentlemen. I'm just about to head to town to get it sewn on cap. 8)

HIGH RESOLUTION HERE!

Styles Bitchley

#52 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I'm confused. It doesn't look like the logo on the cap. Am I missing something?

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#53 Post by Kwai Bridge »

No, I just merged all three components of the cap in one picture to show how much I managed to upscale them from those tiny screenshots below, letter D goes on the sides in opposite directions and it's in pink :)
N1095A wrote:Image Image
Here's the front logo if anyone wants to get it printed/sewn on cap as well.
Mine will be over in few days and I'll post the photos of a finished product here 8)

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Phantastic, Kwai Bridge!

Can't wait to see the finished cap from you.

Styles Bitchley

#55 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Amazing work on increasing the resolution! You're quite talented. I remember looking for a high-res graphic for the Island Hoppers logo several years ago. Someone sent me a version by email - decent quality, but not amazing (some pixelation when stencilled onto a shirt).

- J.Q.H.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by 308GUY »

Nice job on the graphics....looks exactly as it should.

Are you having this c-stitched on a single cap, or are you having the design digitized to a stored stitch file that can be reproduced any time? Are you going to do a trial run of say 6-12 or 24 caps initially?

Have you considered silk screen as well?

Just curious if you are going to make these available in the future.

Either way, very nice work on your part.

Is the company represented still in existence? Any problems with infringement?

I have a c-stitch facility close by with up to date equipment that could probably do these if you don't have access to one.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, keep us posted.

:magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#57 Post by Kwai Bridge »

308GUY wrote:Nice job on the graphics....looks exactly as it should.

Are you having this c-stitched on a single cap, or are you having the design digitized to a stored stitch file that can be reproduced any time? Are you going to do a trial run of say 6-12 or 24 caps initially?

Have you considered silk screen as well?
Thanks!

So far I'm only having it stitched on one cap to see how it turns out, design can be reproduced at any time. If it turns out good, I'll probably be able to mail few of those to forum members. However it costs me around $25 to make just one, not to mention the postage and packaging expenses...
308GUY wrote:Just curious if you are going to make these available in the future.

Either way, very nice work on your part.

Is the company represented still in existence? Any problems with infringement?
I don't know if the Downing Hawaii company still exists. Their website is down, they don't respond to messages on their FB page. However, I have no idea if selling those would be illegal since they are replicas, and long gone from the production. I remember reading that there was a guy who sold replicas of the cap on eBay and apparently had no problems with it...
308GUY wrote:I have a c-stitch facility close by with up to date equipment that could probably do these if you don't have access to one.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, keep us posted.

:magnum:
I have one facility near me as well, and it costs $25 per cap, as stated above.

I'll post the pictures as soon as I get my hands on the cap. If there turns out to be high demand for those, I just wouldn't have enough money to supply active member base with free caps, haha! :lol:

EDIT: Just checked eBay. There are people selling "VMO 2 Da Nang" and "Detroit Tigers" Magnum P.I. replica caps just fine.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Sam »

Hi Kiwi Bridge,

I don't think you'll have a problem if you want to sell from this site but I would avoid ebay.

I wrote Keone Downing about the cap on Ebay. He is going to take legal action as this is a clear trademark infringement, and he asked me to ask Magnum PI fans not to purchase from this seller. Good news for those of who want the Get Wet Cap. He is trying to find the original blank caps, and when he does they will reissue the original Get Wet caps. He said in the email that he will let me know when this happens.

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2431

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#59 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Don't worry, I didn't even had in plan to sell the caps.

It's really amazing if he really does plan to reissue the original cap! When did he tell you that? Only info I found about that in this thread is at least four years old...

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#60 Post by Kwai Bridge »

The guy who sewn the logo to caps clearly didn't read my instructions or even seen the reference pictures I gave to him, but here's the finished product.

Flying D's are flipped vertically for some reason and aren't big enough, but oh well. Still decent, I guess. :lol: