The "square slab" in the tidal pool

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#46 Post by J.J. Walters »

The former crew member whom I have been corresponding with ("CM") has this to say about the concrete slab:

It is a "Water Distribution Box coming from a Storm Drain Pipe. After heavy rains we wouldn't film out there, too much dirty water and debris in the tidal pool."
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#47 Post by golfmobile »

Well, that is certainly a depressingly prosaic answer to a question we thought would have an exotic answer . . . . :(

Disillusionment somewhat. But now we know, which should bring some kind of satisfaction . . or not. :? 8) :)

But thanks to James for asking CM, so we seem to have a secret source to get the answers to all sorts of questions, don't we? Wow! This, then, is actually good news . . . . I think.

Wait a minute! James, I seem to remember another thread about your being in touch with someone from the show and for us to submit questions we had. But wasn't that an film editor or something like that? Is this the same contact? Should we work up a new bunch of questions? If I can meet with CM next week when I'm over there, maybe I can ask some more questions? Should we start a new list of questions to ask?

I'm getting too many things on my mind, all at once, preparing for our trip, so please forgive me if my memory of James' contacts with MPI personnel is incorrect.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#48 Post by rubber chicken »

Bit of a let down there, I was hoping for something more exotic. I think someone guessed it could be for drainage, but I couldn't quite picture how a pipe could be above water there, and/or keep from getting clogged up in those conditions. Someone should make a detailed survey in person. :)

Anyhow, I'll think of it as having served a higher purpose through Magnum P.I.

Too bad about about the dirty runoff into the tidal pool though. It must have been difficult at times to have carefully planed around that, as well as the tide.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Steve »

Looks like your up next, Golf. I went back thru all my photos and zoomed in on the slab trying to see if there are any signs of a pipe under the sand or any signs that a water run off is indeed the function, but I sure can't tell but it makes sense to me. Here are the only pictures I can download to this site. Perhaps someone else can tell..........

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Lily »

That certainly makes a lot of sense, and at least the explanation comes from a reliable source. Like a lot of people here, I was looking at the slab as something which had just been left there a long time ago.

Well the mystery of the concrete slab has now been solved. :D

v8kilr
Ensign

#51 Post by v8kilr »

Lily wrote:
Re Mrs. Anderson, when I was at the Estate early this year, at one point she was the other side of the fence with her two dogs (unfortunately labs I think, and not the Lads!). At the time I could easily have spoken to her, but that whole privacy issue came into my head, and I thought better of it. Has anyone else had any encounters?
Last September I was at the estate on the beach and Mrs. Anderson was getting the coconuts from the trees. I did introduce myself. We talked for about 15-20 minutes. She did say at that time the producers of the upcoming movie had not contacted her about using the estate again. She did tell me a couple of stories about fan walking into her house uninvited.

I am going back to Hawaii this Thursday, I will keep you posted if I get to talk to her again.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Lily »

That's great you got to speak with her. I was a little 'iffy' about her privacy, and I had also read somewhere that she wouldnt speak to anyone about the days of Magnum. Am going back in February next year, so will speak to her if she is around at that time. Let me know if you have another conversation?

Have heard that Mrs. Anderson is an expert when it comes to getting coconuts down from the trees, and somewhere there is a picture of her
up one of the trees.

Have a great time in Hawaii, and dont forget to report back to us eh?

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by MPS »

I wish the slab hadn't had such a mundane purpose, but oh well, at least we know why it was there. Seems a bit odd that a storm drain, which is what it was, had 4 (or 5) openings, rather than just one. It still looks like it might have been the base for a simple hoist to me, but I guess not. :?
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

v8kilr
Ensign

#54 Post by v8kilr »

Lily wrote:That's great you got to speak with her. I was a little 'iffy' about her privacy, and I had also read somewhere that she wouldnt speak to anyone about the days of Magnum. Am going back in February next year, so will speak to her if she is around at that time. Let me know if you have another conversation?

Have heard that Mrs. Anderson is an expert when it comes to getting coconuts down from the trees, and somewhere there is a picture of her
up one of the trees.

Have a great time in Hawaii, and dont forget to report back to us eh?
She was nice but you could tell that she has had many bad encounters with fans in the past.

I will post and current photos when I get back if anything has changed.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Lily »

Great..thank you! :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#56 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:Wait a minute! James, I seem to remember another thread about your being in touch with someone from the show and for us to submit questions we had. But wasn't that an film editor or something like that? Is this the same contact? Should we work up a new bunch of questions? If I can meet with CM next week when I'm over there, maybe I can ask some more questions? Should we start a new list of questions to ask?
golf,

This is the former crew member ("CM"), the one that we hope has the cache of "lost MPI treasures". I'm sure "CM" wouldn't mind you asking him/her additional questions. Just don't forget about your primary objective in this mission. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#57 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I was hoping for something a little more interesting as well.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#58 Post by golfmobile »

Here are some very recent pictures of the slab at 6:45 a.m. low tide. Currently the slab is VERY slippery with algae on top of it (at the time of this picture, some kids had spread sand/gravel on it for traction) (Note: MGI "Did You See the Sunrise"-ing . . . . ):

As well as I could see, I couldn't spot a "hole" in the sand in the center of the "floor" of it showing where a storm drain would empty into it. When I talked to the kids who were trying to stand on it (their dads were there in the tidal pool, pole-fishing), the kids were unaware that it was a storm drain rainoff access point -- when I asked them if they knew what it was, they had no idea. I guess the locals who use the tidal pool for fishing aren't much aware of the MPI connection or interested in such.

Sorry I can't provide the video of me on it when we visited the tidal pool several days later -- Larry managed to fail to record my "posing and prancing." :cry: :cry: And after a couple of high tides by the time I dragged Larry back there, all the gravel/grit had been washed away. I'm SO bummed we didn't get a video cliip of this. :x :cry: :x :( :(

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Steve »

Nice detective work there Golf and you get my nomination for this years A.A.P.I. award.........Any seconds to that nomination?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#60 Post by rubber chicken »

Yeah, it's really nice to have a person on the scene. I still don't see how it's supposed to work as a storm drain though.

I would think something like this would need some upkeep to continue working right, what with sand presumably clogging up the pipe. Perhaps it has outlived it's intended purpose and is no longer is used. (?) That would explain why there aren't any obvious clues.

Then again, maybe when it rains, the weight of the water (presumably coming all the way from the road) is enough to push through the sand, allowing it to still work properly.

Anyone know an Oahu water resources engineer? :?

Or maybe what we need is for someone to travel to Oahu and stand in the tidal pool during a rainstorm. Any takers? :wink: