The Most Annoying Character

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Lily »

MSR was one of those series where just once in a while it would have been nice if Angela Landsbury was wrong! Now had they brought Columbo (Peter Falk), in to do an episode in Magnum, that might have been something to remember.

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Miss Q »

LOL

I just had this weird flash of Peter Falk in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and his trench coat.....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#48 Post by rubber chicken »

If Colombo and Magnum got together on a case, planet earth would immediately explode from the shear awesomeness.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#49 Post by N1095A »

Lily wrote:Sorry, but for me it was Angela Landsbury.
DING DING DING! We have a winner. (Timble please)
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#50 Post by IslandHopper »

308GTS wrote:Angela Lansbury for me, though there were many others too. She however personifies the typical condescending "British, I'm so successful in America" type of person.

Can't stand watching MSR either because of her, or that trite 60's film Bednobs and Broomsticks...yuk.

And, I'm British!
You want to see a really annoying Angela Lansbury then watch "Blue Hawaii." She is way over the top in that movie. I'm sure that is what her role called for, but she is even more annoying than Goldie Morris and Shelly Faraday put together. :shock:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#51 Post by J.J. Walters »

Where is the love for Angela Lansbury?? The lady is a living legend! 4 Tonys, 6 Golden Globes, 3 Academy Award nominations, 18 Emmy nominations! She sings. She dances. She was Mrs. Iselin in The Manchurian Candidate. She was Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast for crying out loud!

I happen to like Murder, She Wrote! Despite the fact that death seems to follow her everywhere she goes, Jessica is a great character! ;)

But, I respect everyone's opinion on the matter.

8)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#52 Post by ConchRepublican »

James J. Walters wrote:She was Mrs. Iselin in The Manchurian Candidate.
This role is a reason why my father said for years he had a problem with her! I'm embarrassed to say, I've yet to see the movie, but I have heard it's excellent.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#53 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Where is the love for Angela Lansbury?? The lady is a living legend! 4 Tonys, 6 Golden Globes, 3 Academy Award nominations, 18 Emmy nominations! She sings. She dances. She was Mrs. Iselin in The Manchurian Candidate. She was Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast for crying out loud!

I happen to like Murder, She Wrote! Despite the fact that death seems to follow her everywhere she goes, Jessica is a great character! ;)

8)
I agree, but her buddies needed the boot!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by 308GTS »

James J. Walters wrote:Where is the love for Angela Lansbury?? The lady is a living legend! 4 Tonys, 6 Golden Globes, 3 Academy Award nominations, 18 Emmy nominations! She sings. She dances. She was Mrs. Iselin in The Manchurian Candidate. She was Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast for crying out loud!

8)
Well ok James, we'll give the devil it's due. She is very, very good as Jessica in MSR but I still find her annoying, too prim and proper for my liking.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#55 Post by Doc Ibold »

I'll add another.

(And prepare for the stones to arrive)

But Floyd Llewelyn from "All Roads Lead to Floyd". He irked me.

Now, I realize that he has the "Rocky" character to his bio, but this is Floyd and I draw a major distinction!

Higgy Baby
Lieutenant

#56 Post by Higgy Baby »

Maybe not the MOST annoying character, but still worthy of mention, in my opinion. Thoughts?
"A lesson lads, cheap whiskey in this heat can rot the brain"

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by MPS »

Afraid my pick has to be Tran Quoc Jones. He spent the whole episode whining and succeeded in being quite annoying. :evil:
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#58 Post by J.J. Walters »

Caught an episode of Simon & Simon the other day (S3's "Betty Grable Flies Again"), and look who suddenly popped up on the screen...

... our old friend Cassie Yates! :shock:

The episode featured Pat Hingle as a grandfather with a mysterious past. I felt like I was watching a Magnum episode!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Frodoleader »

Sorry, the most annoying character is Luther Gillis.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Only just found this thread, so most of the ground has already been covered, but my mind - like others - immediately jumped to Cassie Yates.
James J. Walters wrote:I gotta go with Det. Gordon Katsumoto. His constant over-the-top (and bad) John Wayne impressions and quotes just annoyed me to no end.
Then I remembered that Katsumoto is the single most annoying character in the show's run. 'This Island Isn't Big Enough...' is quite possibly my single least favourite of the show's run for this reason. Clyde Kusatsu is a fair enough bit-part player in other eps, but this character just wasn't him!

Some characters in MPI are "annoying-but-in-a-good-way", but Yates and Kusatsu (when playing Katsumoto) are annoying in a bad way!

Also, James, as I mentioned in my review for 'Novel Connection' (terrible crossover ep), I hate 'Murder, She Wrote' personally! With a passion. :lol: I find Jessica Fletcher so annoying, and as I mentioned in the review, in my ITV region here in London we used to get MSW re-runs ad nausem when most surrounding regions got 'Knight Rider' or 'The A-Team'.
She was even on here this afternoon - the BBC run it now. They've cycled through the series at least 4 times; why can't the run MPI instead?! Actually, I think I might e-mail them and ask.
Last edited by Jay-Firestorm on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!