The Marks Estate

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Sam »

Tell me something Alan...Did the locals get backed up when the state was allowed to convert a "Landmark" into an office building?

Also do me a favor and cap all those scenes from MPI that show the Marks Estate in disrepair.I can only remember seeing the front door area,the enclosed porch and the back lanai.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Locals did not know to what extent the state, under their ownership, would or would not repair or renew dilapidated areas of the estate and as long as there was occupancy to keep it alive, many were happy.
The state wasn't allowed or disallowed to turn the landmark into an "office building". Now, that... would be extreme. It simply had rooms turned into offices, and with yer basic unthinking tunnel vision state worker mentality, they, as owners, figured they could install flourescent lighting, new 80's hanging light fixtures, big grey metal filing cabinets stuck into walls, take away the original doors, store them and install modern office doors. No way we could know they were doing that. I for one didn't like the 80's office accoutrements brought in as evidenced by H50 and Maggy eps.. But I'm a purist.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#48 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Braddah Kimo wrote:I for one didn't like the 80's office accoutrements brought in as evidenced by H50 and Maggy eps.. But I'm a purist.
As am I. I've don't quite a bit of home renovations over the years and it drives me nuts when I find that someone has, for example, ripped out 100 year old wood mouldings and replaced them with Home Depot MDF, rather than taking the time to strip the paint!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Braddah Kimo »

MDF. don't like it much. also vinyl window sliders. But they are secure much more than wood windows seen on all our old plantation homes and new owners want that rather than charm and history. more's the pity.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"do me a favor and cap all those scenes from MPI that show the Marks Estate in disrepair"
I would not do that even if I could do that.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Sam »

"the State cared not a whit about upkeep, repair, maintenance. It was in extreme disrepair. Roofs caving in. Gutters falling off. No doors here and there. And visible in the MPI eps, it had awful lighting fixtures inappropriate to the place, metal railings around the outside ruining the look, metal street signs about, painted striped driveway... stuff li'dat. All this junk ain't original. No one said boo about any of that. 'Suup wi'dat, hah?"

Okay,you tell me the episodes that this stuff was shown in MPI and I'll cap them.

"As the Hawaiian Historical Society was organized in January 1892, they have bigger fish to fry than whining about some estate created by haole missionary stock in the relatively young, current years of the 1930's Hawaii. A fact and premise totally lost on mainland haoles who bandy about the phrase "mid-century" as if it were the be-all, end all, in historical importance. But implies nothing more than the mid nineteen fifties. Where, we, in Hawaii, consider that era, the current age. Mid century? Oh, the 1800's eh!? No? the 1700's? "

You do realize that "Haole" Clarence Cooke was born in Honolulu in 1876 and his "haole" father Charles was born in Honolulu in 1849,so the historical aspect isn't just a house built in 1930.

Just when did the house become a Landmark? Somehow the ball was dropped in 1975 when the state took possesion and now you're BACKED UP because you think the landmark was dissed, your words.

Here's an article that you wrote in 2008...Aren't you saying the same thing about the Honolulu and the Tourism Board,that Golf said about the Marks estate renovation?

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2008/0 ... tary2.html

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Braddah Kimo »

...nice to have a fan club following....

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"You do realize that "Haole" Clarence Cooke was born in Honolulu in 1876 and his "haole" father Charles was born in Honolulu"...
Sorry Sam. But as with most mainland haole, you do not know what 'haole' means. In fact as with many mainlanders, you have a revisionist history perspective when it comes to translating Hawaiian words... many ascribe them with one and one only, definition. Here, we who grew up with Hawaiian words, know them to have many meanings as per the context. Involved, I know... a little above and beyond the mentality of most amerikaners, I know. (not canadians, 'tho'.) But nonetheless, most any and all haole, do not know the varied translations according to context, uses, applications of Hawaiian words....
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"Okay,you tell me the episodes that this stuff was shown in MPI and I'll cap them.
k, den:
Billy joe bob jethro whatever.
School for assassins. (h50)
China Doll.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Braddah Kimo »

We will curtail the p!ss!ng contest at this juncture here, Sam, if you concur. Thanks. We all appreciate it.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Steve »

Braddah Kimo wrote:
Ya know, talk about how things were and wanting them to be that way again, it's fun to watch old Hawaii 5-0 eps, and then see Hawaii about fifteen or twenty years later in Magnum PI, and now, things really have changed since Selleck worked here. Chinatown really has changed and Waikiki, too dramatically. I grew up in Waikiki from age 17 on. Before that, hung around Chinatown and boy, how I wish "my home" could be the way it was back then...

(aaagh! I'm still diatribing!)
Diatribe all you wish as far as I am concerned.........I was shocked to see how much Honolulu, the Waikiki strip, Chinatown had changed from my first visit in 1987 to my next visit in 2007. To also find out the sugar and pineapple plantations in the interior were now gone and relocated across the Pacific other than a very sad Dole Plantation museum/tour trying in vain to recapture greater days was heartbreaking. I guess a rule of thumb could be if Trump builds a tower/monument to himself at a local, displacing as your article so wisely pointed out the boutique style motels and hotels, there is just no turning back............
Also,I sure would like to hear how you eneded up in Paradise at the age of 17...............

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Aaah, the Dole plantation and cannery... many kids at that time got a summer job at the cannery. With its fantastic beloved landmark, the Pineapple shaped water tower. Now, long gone, boo hoo. (It was considered Hawaii's most famous landmark after Le'ahi crater, (Diamond Head) and the Aloha Tower.) I worked at the cannery in about 71 or so. I was raised in Lanikai, but at age 17 was kicked outta the house for the simple casual hobby most young punk hippies had then, cultivation of pakalolo... (Paka = weed. Lolo = crazy) and ended up in Waikiki, and after a couple nites sleeping on Waikiki beach, landed a 50 dollar a month studio and a job at a local pizza parlor, Red Lion, now long gone. Imagine the suddden forced jump into "adulthood" of a wide eyed rebellious teen open to anything and everything, in the middle of Waikiki, the wild and crazy 24 hour city in that era, just after the summer of love, the music, the wild abandon, the swarms of intriguing people from all over the world... what a time it was. Much different than the Waikiki of today. Waikiki was so cool then in '72. Tons of cool local restaurants and shops and pubs... and the multitudes of secretaries, school marms, college girls, etc.. coming over for their one to two week holiday to basically "go native" with wild abandon. You can bet I made a valiant chivalrous attempt to assist them in achieving that goal!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Breaking News! The Clarence Cooke Estate, (known as the marks estate to a few...) received recognition as being an historical residence by the local Hawai'i gummint. And to prove it, they issued a plaque, (albeit misspelled) and it resides now on da lava rock wall entrance of da place. wheee. Congratulations, Magnum and H50 shooting location!

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Waterbug Blue »

Brilliant news! Any link to see the plaque? I'm sure that one will turn up for the non-resident community ...
Thanks for keeping us informed!!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Will try post a pic later...