The Ferrari

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#46 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

That's an odd place to put an inspection sticker. In NC we no longer have inspection stickers.

56E 478
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#47 Post by 56E 478 »

Yep-that's the vehicle safety inspection sticker for the Five-0 state. It's a two piece sticker. Numeral on the left indicates the month when the inspection was performed,and on the right, the color indicates the year of the inspection (the color changes every year,on a rotation basis). This gives Hawaii's finest a quick i.d. to see if your ride is legit. It's the DMVs requirement to have these affixed on the right hand side of the rear bumper. Format is still the same after all these years,with the exception of the price.

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#48 Post by Jeffrey »

Something nice happened yesterday! I was having a small break from my work, and just when I turned into the street were I live... I spotted a red Ferrari 308 GTS... very weird to see it suddenly! I never saw it before... only on tv.

edit:

TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by KENJI »

There is a forum called FerrariChat.com where there is a wealth of info. regarding "our brand of car".

Just make sure you report back to Jame's Forum with what you find!!!

coy
Ensign

#50 Post by coy »

Hello It's me coy, I am new here I got some interest for this Classic Series, I been watched some video clips on the net, and read some articles about it, I also got attached with the Ferrari that been used by Thomas, its a Ferrari 308 GTS because of Magnum P.I it become one of the most recognized and iconic cars of all-time. I think this car is still available to buy. I found some ads that offer this car for about 35K.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by KENJI »

Hi Coy and welcome aboard!

I think both the show (MPI) and the Ferrari put together created a win/win situation for both parties. The car helped promote the show and in turn when you put Tom behind the wheel of a red Ferrari, everyone wanted one, so sales and exposure for Ferrari went way up - a perfect fit!
You can pick up a 308 even cheaper than $35,000 (factor in year/miles/condition...) which sounds like a deal, but when you have to pay for maintenance and insurance it can get pricey (a Ferrari mechanic/technician doesn't come cheap)!! I've toyed with the idea over and over, but common sense prevails everytime- darn it!!! They are actually not that fast, but they sure look nice!!! The 458 Italia is another beauty that might interest you and it is FAST. Unfortunately you would have to be Robin Masters to afford it though.

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#52 Post by Karrnut »

Where to begin....First in "Did You See The Sunrise" the car blown up was a Camaro, I did a frame by frame and was able to confirm it.

The Ferrari 308 is very well profiled right here in MM, in fact in that thread it states: "There were also "kit car" versions of the 308 that were used for some of the more aggressive driving scenes done on the show. The kit cars were made of fiberglass and were built on a Pontiac Fiero chassis."

The first "Replica" of the 308, called the Mera, was built by Corporate Concepts Ltd of Capac MI, these were "Factory Built" limited edition cars built on new Fiero's, and sold for $26,000.00. Only 254 cars were made before Ferrari filed suit. IF a replica was used on Magnum pi, chances are it was a Mera. The other site I belong too "Pennock's Fiero Forum" has a separate thread for Mera's called "Mera In Paradise," on there is one red Mera located in Hawaii. I searched for a real 308 but did a lot of checking on reliability and maintenance costs (I had just come out of a costly and painful relationship with a 1988 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur), and was gun shy. It was a Ferrari dealer that turned me on to the Mera, this had it all the looks of a Ferrari (including lots of real 308 parts & badges) but with the reliability of a Pontiac, win-win.

At the time, 2 years ago a real 308 was running $24,000, and the Mera was $12,000, plus they made 2796 Ferrari GTB's (1975-1980) and only 254 Mera's, add to this mine is #2 of 88 1988 Mera's built. As stated before the early 308's were not as fast as the later GTSi QV, 205hp compared to 230hp, with the performance upgrades made to my Mera it is putting out over 200hp, which is more than enough.
Plus, it's a blast to drive with my Tigers baseball cap, jungle bird shirt, team ring and TM signed glove box, heck it don't get much better than this, sure its a "replica" but then again...I am not Thomas S. Magnum either. So don't wait, wish & wonder, get a Mera and join the fun!
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... C_5401.jpg

I guess I still don't understand how to post photos????
"Low rent knuckle busters." - Rick

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Steve »

Karrnut wrote:Where to begin....First in "Did You See The Sunrise" the car blown up was a Camaro, I did a frame by frame and was able to confirm it.

The Ferrari 308 is very well profiled right here in MM, in fact in that thread it states: "There were also "kit car" versions of the 308 that were used for some of the more aggressive driving scenes done on the show. The kit cars were made of fiberglass and were built on a Pontiac Fiero chassis."

The first "Replica" of the 308, called the Mera, was built by Corporate Concepts Ltd of Capac MI, these were "Factory Built" limited edition cars built on new Fiero's, and sold for $26,000.00. Only 254 cars were made before Ferrari filed suit. IF a replica was used on Magnum pi, chances are it was a Mera. The other site I belong too "Pennock's Fiero Forum" has a separate thread for Mera's called "Mera In Paradise," on there is one red Mera located in Hawaii. I searched for a real 308 but did a lot of checking on reliability and maintenance costs (I had just come out of a costly and painful relationship with a 1988 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur), and was gun shy. It was a Ferrari dealer that turned me on to the Mera, this had it all the looks of a Ferrari (including lots of real 308 parts & badges) but with the reliability of a Pontiac, win-win.

At the time, 2 years ago a real 308 was running $24,000, and the Mera was $12,000, plus they made 2796 Ferrari GTB's (1975-1980) and only 254 Mera's, add to this mine is #2 of 88 1988 Mera's built. As stated before the early 308's were not as fast as the later GTSi QV, 205hp compared to 230hp, with the performance upgrades made to my Mera it is putting out over 200hp, which is more than enough.
Plus, it's a blast to drive with my Tigers baseball cap, jungle bird shirt, team ring and TM signed glove box, heck it don't get much better than this, sure its a "replica" but then again...I am not Thomas S. Magnum either. So don't wait, wish & wonder, get a Mera and join the fun!
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... C_5401.jpg

I guess I still don't understand how to post photos????
Karrnut, are you in Milwaukee? If so, I would love to ride up and see your gorgeous Mera sometime. I would even wear my jungle bird shirt...........

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#54 Post by Karrnut »

Check your PM box Steve.

coy
Ensign

#55 Post by coy »

Hello It's me coy, I am new here I got some interest for this Classic Series, I been watched some video clips on the net, and read some articles about it, I also got attached with the Ferrari that been used by Thomas, its a Ferrari 308 GTS because of Magnum P.I it become one of the most recognized and iconic cars of all-time. I think this car is still available to buy. I found some ads that offers this ferrari cars ferrari parts and Ferrari accessories

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#56 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Karnut, I'm really impressed by the photo of your Mera. At a glance, I sure can't tell the difference. I'm sure it's a real head turner!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#57 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Karnut, that is a nice looking car! As Styles said looking at the picture I can't see a difference between that and the 308.

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#58 Post by Karrnut »

It fools a lot of people, if you don't know what to look for it's hard to tell the difference. The real give-a-way is the Fiero interior, but even that can cause confusion, for one not a lot of people have gotten that close to a Ferrari, and another the 308 body style ran for quite awhile. I have a friend who has a "real" 308, and man side by side they really do look like two peas from the same pod.

My biggest problem is the car brings out the beast in me, and I drive it like Magnum trying to catch Higgins before the Audi explodes!

Just as an aside, I even made a King Kamehameha parking sticker for the front windshield: Lic# ROBIN 2, Member # 001, note: VIP :wink:

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by erock308 »

This is the car I drove from the late 80s - late 90s:
I always wanted to put the 308 body kit on it.

This is the Car I drove now:
Red with tan interrior ;{)

And this of corse is my dream car:
my Mrs. recently told me that she is gonna figure out a way to get it for me!
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Steve »

You Fiero guys will probably appreciate this site......
http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm
Archie is located north of Rockford, Il and has a passion for converting Fiero's and even installs V-8's into them!