The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#436 Post by steveadl »

They've also put wire mesh secured with wooden planks over the downstairs windows.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#437 Post by Pahonu »

Odd that it doesn't cover all the surfaces. Maybe it's a scratch coat for new plaster. Dare we hope!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#438 Post by golfmobile »

That wire mesh and those boards were on the windows when we were there in September 2008:

Though even the current light blue paint on the boathouse now makes it look in better condition than its previous condition--covers the moldy looking stains on the stucco. And I don't know how they got the blue paint now applied to the walls without spraying over the boards and mesh -- unless they removed the boards and wire mesh and then put them back in place after painting (???) -- strange thing to do . . . . Looks as though they also patched some of the cracks in the stucco before painting.

Wait! I went back and looked at the "blue paint" picture above -- all the moldy look NOT covered. Hopefully they just stopped for the day on THAT job and will complete it to cover all the stained places. This is weird . . . . IMO. Maybe it's a light blue stucco repair goop? And they still need to finish the bottom of the walls?

golf

P.S. After looking more closely at the "light blue paint" picture above, it would appear that they did remove the mesh and reinstall. The line of the edge of mesh in the "blue paint" picture on the right side in the picture above is definitely different from the line/edge of the mesh in my Sept. '08 picture.

g.
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#439 Post by Sam »

It looks to me that the painting cats were on break,bet it's done now..

Golf,if you go back to page 25,Brunoffrance was there about a year ago and he posted two pics of the guesthouse.The cracks were fixed and the screen was gone.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#440 Post by steveadl »

That's interesting - the case of the disappearing/reappearing mesh! :D It wasn't there when we visited almost exactly a year to the day:

I assume they put the mesh over the widows to stop too much debris flying in as there doesn't appear to be any glass in the widows.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#441 Post by golfmobile »

Gawd! We need to get a life -- if we're watching the status over a two-year period of wire mesh on windows of a nearly-falling-down building that none of us own or have an equitable interest in!

:lol: :lol:

golf

And I'm as guilty as anyone . . . so please don't take offense!
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#442 Post by Sam »

I prefer to call it..An eye for detail. :)

Let's hope Anderson is finally fixing up the place.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#443 Post by N1095A »

No suprise. This is the Mecca for MPI fans. How ya' doin' Golf?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#444 Post by golfmobile »

Doing fine, N! Flew another helicopter Saturday -- no tidal pool to fly over :cry: -- and my house HARDLY compares to Robin's Nest, but then even that's not what it used to be anyway now, is it? You can see a little of the video I filmed of the flight on my Facebook page:

golf's R22 flight sample

the female version of TC and Thomas (with camera) in Island Hoppers mode . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#445 Post by Steve »

I looked back at my pictures from my trip in April of 2007 and there was wire mesh over the windows at the time. Last night on HFO the crew entered a house where you could see Rabbit Island in the background. It was the first time this season I have seen a shot of Rabbit Island and from the shot, the house had to be not too far from The Estate. I am hoping that the renovations are indeed for HFO, or better yet, The Magnum Movie with the original cast we all want...............

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#446 Post by Olivier »

I was thinking it would be interesting to consult an old cadastral map of Waimanalo. Somebody knows if there was one made in Oahu ? If yes how can we have a look ?

In France we can see old cadastral maps, like this one for example, made in 1837 :

It would be so great to have one from Waimanalo in the 40s or 50s.

Pahonu

#447 Post by Pahonu »

Olivier wrote:It would be so great to have one from Waimanalo in the 40s or 50s.
Or from the late 20's or early 30's, pre-estate!

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#448 Post by Olivier »

I also look for old postcards from Waimanalo, like this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Real-Photo-Postcard ... 3a4f374807

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-RPPC-WAIMAN ... 3cb2a7f6e3

If we' re lucky it's not impossible to find an old picture of the beach or the "turtle pond", or, why not, the estate, which should be incredible in the 1930's in this small city.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#449 Post by golfmobile »

I tried the "Historical Imagery" in Google Earth, but it went back only to 2001 (and even then it didn't display anything, or it just didn't load for me). Other places can go back to the 1930s (e.g., Atlanta goes back to 1944), but not Oahu on Google Earth, unfortunately. Phooey!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Pahonu

#450 Post by Pahonu »

I just thought of a question about the estate that one of our architect members or someone else might be able to answer. I am very familiar with the Spanish Colonial Revival style of architecture here in Southern California. In fact, I have visited several historic house museums in this style and taken students on tours of them. I have even collected many clippings, photos, and articles over the years about homes in this style. You might call it a passion as I live in a home of this style. Further, in all my years observing homes of this style, I cannot recall seeing a single one with the classic terracotta tile roof in black like the Eve Anderson Estate. So finally the question:

Has anyone else seen a black tile roof like this? Just how unusual is this? I think it just as beautiful as the traditional color, but how unique is it?

I so badly want to know about the home's architect.