40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#346 Post by T.Q. »

No love for Beauty Knows No Pain? :|

No love for my gifs? :cry:

Next episode October 8th.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#347 Post by Pahonu »

The first comment here actually has nothing to do with the episode at all, but I have to make it known. :lol: I know so many of you here in the forum have watched the whole series in order from start to finish. I am not in that habit at all. I pick and choose episodes I feel like watching, which means several episodes get passed up routinely. I also watch episodes being broadcast when I catch them. I watched the show when it originally aired but I’m sure I missed some back then. My point then: this is the first time I’ve watched an entire season in order! This is so even though I’ve seen every episode multiple times in the last 40 years! Peer pressure made me do it! :lol: Actually, it kept me going and it was enjoyable, so thanks to all that contributed. :magnum:

I enjoy this episode quite a bit but I think it comes with a big caveat. My wife, who actually competed in triathlons, though not Ironman distance, hates this episode, and for one reason only. She is completely annoyed by Marcia Wallace. I’ve read other comments from members expressing the same. Maybe because I was familiar with her from The Bob Newhart Show, that isn’t true with me. I find so many of her interactions with TM hilarious, granted much of the comedy is TM’s reactions. I enjoy the scenes at the pool hall, on the bus, while he’s training, and especially during the swim/run transition. This episode definitely has a lot of comedic elements so I can see why it’s perhaps more hit or miss with viewers. It’s not in my top 10 or even 20, but it’s an episode I will definitely sit and watch.

Pahonu

#348 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:33 pm No love for Beauty Knows No Pain? :|

No love for my gifs? :cry:

Next episode October 8th.
Definitely enjoyed both gifs, TQ. Thanks!

My Little Voice
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#349 Post by My Little Voice »

For me, the Ironman subplot brings out the best parts of this episode. Higgins has a number of enjoyable moments:

-turning the screws on Magnum to pressure him into competing
-the mid race soliloquy on the origins of the word marathon
-"you realize, of course, you have no chance of winning" causing Magnum to glance at the gun in his hand

TC has a great line about Magnum having the "thighs to win."

Overall, I thought it was a good episode to end season 1 with. There is a lot of Hawaii flavor featured prominently with the Ironman race and the garden. Magnum comes through for his client (and TC after all) in the end.

Did anyone else think the news broadcaster's voice at the end sounded like Jeff MacKay (Mac)?

Pahonu

#350 Post by Pahonu »

My Little Voice wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:14 pm For me, the Ironman subplot brings out the best parts of this episode. Higgins has a number of enjoyable moments:

-turning the screws on Magnum to pressure him into competing
-the mid race soliloquy on the origins of the word marathon
-"you realize, of course, you have no chance of winning" causing Magnum to glance at the gun in his hand

TC has a great line about Magnum having the "thighs to win."

Overall, I thought it was a good episode to end season 1 with. There is a lot of Hawaii flavor featured prominently with the Ironman race and the garden. Magnum comes through for his client (and TC after all) in the end.

Did anyone else think the news broadcaster's voice at the end sounded like Jeff MacKay (Mac)?
It was Jeff MacKay’s voice as the broadcaster.

I also like Higgins’ big laugh at Magnum about having taken the bus. Very snobbish, but hilarious.

Pahonu

#351 Post by Pahonu »

Double post, sorry!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#352 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I guess you guys will pick up again in the fall... with "Billy Joe Bob". :D

Checkman
Ensign

#353 Post by Checkman »

"The Arrow that is not Aimed". Saw it when it first aired and it remains one of my favorites.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#354 Post by Styles Bitchley »

It was a blast going through this season one by one. Will look forward to doing so again in the fall!

My schedule messed me up for the last few, but I got through them. Really liked ending on Beauty Knows no Pain. It's got a great light tone. Silly but amusing.

Discovered so many interesting new details this time through and it was great hearing from you all the things you spotted, liked or disliked. Best part was knowing there was a group of us doing the same.

Cheers!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#355 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:38 pm It was a blast going through this season one by one. Will look forward to doing so again in the fall!

My schedule messed me up for the last few, but I got through them. Really liked ending on Beauty Knows no Pain. It's got a great light tone. Silly but amusing.

Discovered so many interesting new details this time through and it was great hearing from you all the things you spotted, liked or disliked. Best part was knowing there was a group of us doing the same.

Cheers!
Agreed! It was enjoyable doing it as a group.

To think, in just seven short years, I’ll have finally watched the whole series in order! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#356 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:17 am
Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:38 pm It was a blast going through this season one by one. Will look forward to doing so again in the fall!

Cheers!
Agreed! It was enjoyable doing it as a group.

To think, in just seven short years, I’ll have finally watched the whole series in order! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Will be the second time for me, other than when the DVDs first came out (and I joined this forum)b
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#357 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Bumping this to the top of the board. Anyone watching season 2 40 years later? Watched Billy Joe Bob tonight (40 years exactly) and will not be upset if it is another 40 until I see it again.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#358 Post by T.Q. »

Thanks SeamanWolfe

Yeah, totally would have forgotten.

Anyone in for season 2?

October 08, 1981

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
Season 2, episode 1
Billy Joe Bob

A hot-headed Texan comes to Hawaii and hires Magnum to find his sister, who was a nightclub singer before going missing.
Last edited by T.Q. on Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#359 Post by T.Q. »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:59 am Bumping this to the top of the board. Anyone watching season 2 40 years later? Watched Billy Joe Bob tonight (40 years exactly) and will not be upset if it is another 40 until I see it again.
I actually like this episode. :oops:

Pahonu

#360 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:16 am Thanks SeamanWolfe

Yeah, totally would have forgotten.

Anyone in for season 2?

October 08, 1981

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
Season 2, episode 1
Billy Joe Bob

A hot-headed Texan comes to Hawaii and hires Magnum to find his sister, who was a nightclub singer before going missing.
I’m in for tonight!