The Guest House

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Sam »

Yes..there is also a side door to the lower level.I think there is a cap posted in "The Estate" folder.I'll see if I can find it.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Sam »

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#33 Post by N1095A »

I found the shots of the 4th wall in the guest house. Rod is cooking, and TM is sitting in a chair against the wall. The TV, and a table is there too. Interesting note about this sequence, Rod is shot from behind the stove and fridge. It looks as if they removed the wall behind the stove and sink for this shot.
Last edited by N1095A on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Sam »

N1095A,
If you look at the left corner of the guesthouse you can see the steps.

http://www.pbase.com/goislands/image/10960100

I knew they had used that shot in a couple of shows...Here is another shot from that angle.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/5_10_a_full.jpg

N1095A

#35 Post by N1095A »

After a little research, and much help from Sam, I now understand the layout of the boat house, and have concluded that at least some attempt was made to match the stage set interior to the actual building. There are windows in the building that aren't in the set, and windows in the set that are much larger than on the building, but at least the placement of those seen from inside appear to be fairly accurate. Another conclusion I've come to thanks to a couple of episodes from season 4, and pohtos of the boathouse, is that the boathouse would be large enough to accomidate the size of the set in length, but not depth. In other words, the size looks about right from the kitchen to the 4th wall. It looks like it would need to be slightly deeper from the ocean side to the "3rd wall" back. If you look at the picture of the guesthouse set on Rick Romer's blog, you'll see that it was much narrower than it looked on screen. The area beneath the lanai looks to be large enough to fit the bedroom/bathroom, and even have some room left over. I also believe the 3rd page on the tax roll drawing is the boat house.

eeyore
Admiral

#36 Post by eeyore »

Getting in late on this discussion. I have done a lot of head scratching and "research" on the layouts of both the set and the actual boathouse, and the conclusions here I agree with. Although there are similarities, the exterior of the boathouse is not an exact match to the interior. Sam and I have had many discussions on this cute little building! I have lots of images I have picked up from the internet showing different views of the boathouse.
If I could figure out how to post a link, I'd be happy to share the sketches I have made. One thing Sam and I have puzzled over is the fact that in later photos, you can see something going on up on the front wall on the lanai, next to the front door. It looks like part of the wall was removed and patched back over with plywood or stucco of a different color. I can figure out no reason why they would need to blow a hole in the wall unless they needed to remove something from inside too large to fit through the door--makes no sense. Now I am tending to think that due to the bad condition of the boathouse, maybe a large chunk of stucco came off here and they fashioned a large crude patch to repair it.
I would love to know how this building was constructed. I have read that chunks of coral were often used back the early days for buildings. They were formed into cubes about the size of concrete block. The building could be formed from some sort of block, or it could be poured formed concrete, but that seems awfully complicated for a utility building. There is so little info available on the history of the vernacular architecture in Hawaii. :(
In some of my photos, the vegetation on the Shriners side is a little thin and you can see a small wing wall coming off the front corner. There is even chain link fence running across the top of it from the building to the property wall, assuming to keep people from climbing over. There is a great shot at the beginning of Death and Taxes where the three guys are carrying things out to the truck and they walk up from the beach and past the front of the boathouse. If you look very closely, you can see that little wall.
The property tax record lists this boathouse as a one bedroom and one bath structure. If you look at the roof you can see a plumbing vent stack at the front on the Shriners side, so there must be a bathroom on this side. I would like to know if the building originally was intended to be occupied or if a small servants quarters was added later. There is not enough room for a living room, kitchen, bathroom AND bedroom inside since the interior space upstairs is roughly 22 x 11 (going from memory). It was probably set up more as a studio and the tax site listed it as one bedroom because they had no better way to classify it.
I have also poured over screen caps from Don Luis to try to figure out what the lower level looks like. I've got a good idea but am hungry for more! Someday I may invest in the Hawaii Five O DVDs so I can see more of the property! :)

Ashi 1122
Ensign

Just think for a moment

#37 Post by Ashi 1122 »

We all get the Blue print of the estate, we build to the exact blue print. Now we got to find a Higgins, Zeus and Apollo and may be gardener, a tree surgeon, a Ferrari, an island hoppers helicopter, an island hoppers van, man you guy s have got me thinking. So whos building one and when and when can i move in.
Thomas Magnum, Jonathan Quayle Higgins, TC, Rick, Mac, Zeus and Apollo and Robbin Masters
Island Hoppers. Aloha

N1095A

#38 Post by N1095A »

eeyore, If you look in the upper left corner of this photo you can see the stairs after they turn toward the top. Does it look to you like the railing wall is either unfinished at this point, or perhaps cut away for some reason?

Kwanzaa
Lieutenant

#39 Post by Kwanzaa »

I am also intrigued by the guesthouse/boathouse. It is obviously not the same on the inside as the set. It does however appear to have an apartment on the top level. Probably served as a teen quarters or groundskeeper quarters sometime in its history.

If you watch season three's Black on White, Magnum jumps out of the bedroom window of the guesthouse. Also, we know there is a den for the set. The outside shots of the real boathouse show that it is not broad enough to have this amount of space on the bottom especially considering the amount of storage that we see on the bottom level in the "Who is Don Luis" episode from season six.

I have often contemplated what it would be like to actually live in the guesthouse. I'm sure it would be cool but it would not compare to the experience Magnum had. He had the advantage of great friendship in Higgins, TC, and Rick.

N1095A

#40 Post by N1095A »

Judging by the photo of the set that Rick Romer posted, I'm thnking the boat house would be close to if not actually large enough.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#41 Post by Pahonu »

Very, very late on this thread.

In modeling the boathouse using Google Sketchup, there really is no way the set would fit into the actual structure. Using the property tax dimensions, and assuming the walls are a foot think judging by the window recesses, the interior space upstairs is approximately 10 x 22 feet. That is plenty long enough but perhaps only half as wide as necessary. Also if you notice the height of the landing at the top of the stairs above the closet in the living room set, the lanai floor would be only about seven and a half feet above the bedroom. Allowing for the floor thickness, someone would barely be able to stand up in there! I think the creators of the set used the general arrangement of the building as a starting point, and thats it.

I have been torn about the actual use of the upper floor. If it was really for staff to use, what a view from the lanai for them. That's hard to believe unless it was used by the head of the staff. A major domo, if you will. I do understand it was a part-time residence. There are five staff bedrooms and two baths in the gate house, however. It may possibly have been used as a guest house after all! The space is large enough for a studio-type setup like a poolhouse. The west end would have the bathroom, leaving about a 10 x 16 foot space remaining for the other functions, and guests would then enjoy the lanai and its view. After all there are only five bedrooms in the main house. The only vexing question is why no windows on the lanai side. Maybe for privacy as other guests used the boathouse itself or the lanai?

I think it is highly likely that the upper floor really was a guest room or possibly a suite. It probably would even have been referred to as a guest house if it didn't have the boat storage function underneath. What do you think?
Last edited by Pahonu on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Pahonu.

Awesome job again on the estate 3D model! Everything looks spot-on to me. :)

Regarding the guesthouse set, it's actually smaller than it appears on screen.

The upper floor of the boathouse is a bit of a mystery. In some of the peaks we've had at inside the lanai door, there doesn't appear to me anything there except stairs leading down.

And I agree, it would make for a most awesome ocean-side studio! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu

#43 Post by Pahonu »

James,

Thanks again for the compliment. I was looking at the set photo when I wrote the comment. While the set is quite narrow, the stairs alone would be a minimum of six feet wide for both runs. The set looks at least 16-18 feet wide to me, almost double the width upstairs in the actual structure. I hadn't seen the second photo, however. Notice how the interior wall is closer than the pillars of the lanai. I think the bathroom is beyond that wall. It is also possible they built a false stairrail there to help with the illusion. I find it hard to believe they would have built an internal stair in such a small space leading to a dirt-floor boathouse when external stairs are less than 15 feet away.

Did you get my point about the ceiling height of the bedroom given how little space is above the closet door in that photo? The set creators made a reasonable effort to approximate an interior for the structure, but it just wouldn't fit in reality. Then again, I would happily live in such a cool, if small, location!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, there is probably an inside door just to the left of the lanai door that leads into a room behind the wall.

And yeah, I see what you mean about the ceiling height; it just wouldn't work.

You're probably right about the width of the set being too wide. It seems so narrow in the photo, but at second look it's definitely wider than 10 feet.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu

#45 Post by Pahonu »

This just occured to me after a couple of decades watching the show. With all the exterior shots of the boathouse used in the episodes over the years, it is obvious the building has no chimney. Yet there, right in the center of the guest house set, is the fireplace. Despite all our dreams to the contrary, it seems clear the set designers VERY loosely based the interior on the actual building!