1911 .45ACP Magnum Edition , your thoughts.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by only looking »

Great info and photos. Yes you can can tell from show to show that the guns did vary.In the "Jororo kill" when Magnum shoots the nunn. :shock: Soryy I know you know it's really a male assassain dresses as a nunn. But I had to type that...LOL You can tell he has a Starr 9mm. I believe that in the bigger ep, like the shootoutin the Warehouse or in the streets when he's saving Michelle it's the Colt series 70 in a 9mm, but when he's laying there you can then tell it's a 45 due to the bore.The Starr is a very nice weapon, my uncle had one in a 45 acp. I'm going to a gun show in December looking for a Colt Series 70 in a 45 acp, but most of the online guns are the older..lacking the lowered ejection ports. You can tell the year also on the series 70 9mm, you posted due to the 70L seriel number. I guess they used the 45 as a HERO GUN, the close up, but of course we all know they didn't always do that though. I persoanlly don't like the partail/half thumb safety. I wonder if it was cosmetic to appear to be old military spec. or maybe the full safety got in the way more..."didn't like the feel"..kind of a thing?
It made me do it Higgins!!!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MaximRecoil »

only looking wrote:I persoanlly don't like the partail/half thumb safety. I wonder if it was cosmetic to appear to be old military spec. or maybe the full safety got in the way more..."didn't like the feel"..kind of a thing?
Yeah, my guess is that they were trying to give it a more military look. I like the partial-shelf thumb safeties, but only on old Colts and USGI 1911s and 1911A1s, i.e., the guns that came with them in the first place.

If you look at the grips on that second screen shot, they appear to be well-worn, and were probably old USGI 1911A1 grips (they used wood on the A1s before switching to plastic when production ramped up for WWII). That was probably intended to give the gun a more military look too.

Private Investigator!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#33 Post by Private Investigator! »

only looking wrote:Great info and photos. Yes you can can tell from show to show that the guns did vary.In the "Jororo kill" when Magnum shoots the nunn. :shock: Soryy I know you know it's really a male assassain dresses as a nunn. But I had to type that...LOL You can tell he has a Starr 9mm. I believe that in the bigger ep, like the shootoutin the Warehouse or in the streets when he's saving Michelle it's the Colt series 70 in a 9mm, but when he's laying there you can then tell it's a 45 due to the bore.The Starr is a very nice weapon, my uncle had one in a 45 acp. I'm going to a gun show in December looking for a Colt Series 70 in a 45 acp, but most of the online guns are the older..lacking the lowered ejection ports. You can tell the year also on the series 70 9mm, you posted due to the 70L seriel number. I guess they used the 45 as a HERO GUN, the close up, but of course we all know they didn't always do that though. I persoanlly don't like the partail/half thumb safety. I wonder if it was cosmetic to appear to be old military spec. or maybe the full safety got in the way more..."didn't like the feel"..kind of a thing?
I just watched the episode where he shoots the nun, and I believe that the assasin shot a "security man" and Thomas picks up that man's gun and gives chase. Thus the gun in question is not a .45.

I'm not sure about any other episodes but I don't recall noticing any obvious stark differences in his personal weapon.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by only looking »

Good catch on Tom picking up the gun. The sound guys didn't catch it though. He's shooting a 9mm Beretta (can tell by the ejection port...whole top is open) but yet when he shoots...BLAM...we hear a 45 acp and not a 9mm bang....then again when's he's holding his 9mm that is suppose to be a 45 also has the same problem. @ things I love in movies...counting the shots and listening to the gun sounds....really bad in the 70's and 80's tv and movies. :D
It made me do it Higgins!!!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#35 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

The knowledge some of you guys have about guns is simply amazing! All I know is you load one and fire it, and I'd probably find a way to screw that up!

OUTHOUSE
Lieutenant

#36 Post by OUTHOUSE »

I am coming to the cold reality that this gun will not be made.

Unfortunate.

GMT Master
Lieutenant Commander

#37 Post by GMT Master »

You're probably right OUTHOUSE. I can't afford to have a hundred or even fifty of these commissioned and pay for it out of pocket. I thought I had a good idea but it is a lot of money to ask people to pay for a Colt 1911 with the custom engraving. I may, someday, get one for myself and have it engraved but then again it may never happen.
GMT Master