Magnums Diet

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Little Garwood »

Inspired by Magnum, I recently got on a Fig Newton's kick, which I enjoy every so often anyway!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#32 Post by rubber chicken »

I came across a few others which I don't think have been mentioned. In the beginning of Did You See the Sunrise? (3.1) Magnum is eating popcorn while watching Stalag 17. And because popcorn alone can't provide all of the nutrients needed by an active adult male, Magnum has made the wise decision to supplement his popcorn with what appears to be Gumdrops.

Here's Magnum "investigating" a gumdrop...
Last edited by rubber chicken on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#33 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've always loved Fig Newtons. They taste great and are low in fat. I just can't dip them in milk like Magnum does.

eeyore
Admiral

#34 Post by eeyore »

HEY! TM DOES eat veggies, what about the zucchini sticks he shares on the stairway with his nephew at his Grandfather's funeral in Going Home?
VBG

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#35 Post by SelleckLover »

I know he ordered a baked potato at the end of "Texas Lightning".

Carmen
MPI

#36 Post by Carmen »

.. I just can`t dip them in milk like Magnum does

remember IKWYT, he has to dip them, cause his are stale, he keeps them in a bowl in his refridgerator :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#37 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Good point Carmen. I keep mine in a nice air tight Tuperware dish. The last one is just as tasty and fresh as is the first one out of the package.

Lt. Cook
Commander

#38 Post by Lt. Cook »

As I recall, didn't someone, maybe Rick or TM refer to it as Grumbling because TC was grumbling about something at the time?
It was TS talking to TC right before their on on one in "Basket Case" I think TC was trash talking the Naval academy as a basketball "powerhouse"

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#39 Post by Italian Ice »

I love it when shows add their own brand names and this is another funny one. I couldn't help but laugh at the unique title of Mrs. Perroni's pizza. Makes me laugh as much as Macho Taco or Ahi Sushi.

I wish they actually "said" Coops Beer, not just "show" it.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#40 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I wish we had been shown a good look at the Old Dusseldorf label.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Little Garwood »

Funny how this thread got bumped back up when I just bought some Fig Newtons this past sunday! I'd forgotten! Now I can't wait to get started on them! :lol:

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#42 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'm down to my last few and will have to replenish when I grocery shop this weekend.

AlohaSpirit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#43 Post by AlohaSpirit »

At the end of "Little Games" Thomas orders: an 18 ounce New York charred rare with baked potato skins and some extra parsley (so he did eat something green :-))
She shouldn't be punished for her passion.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#44 Post by Agatha »

Hey, rubber chicken!

I've always thought that TM was eating Dots while he was watching Stalag 17. And that he's SO SMART because if he holds them up like that, he can see which flavor it's going to be...without missing any of the movie!!

What do you think?

:)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#45 Post by rubber chicken »

That's quite a theory Agatha! I'm not as familiar with Dots ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_(candy) ) as as I am with Gumdrops, but they do look similar.

I went back and got a few closeups of the box. I think the key to putting this crucial mystery to rest, would be to find out what kind of box it is, if possible.

Is that a red Nabisco logo on the lower corner? Hard to say. Did Nibisco make gumdrops? The wiki page for gumdrops doesn't say anything about a company owning the gumdrop trademark. The wiki page for Dots says that brand was acquired by Tootsie Roll in 1972. Could that be a box made by the Tootsie Roll company?

So many questions, so few answers.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.