Your Magnum Experience

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#31 Post by SelleckLover »

Frodoleader,

Here's a previous post of mine:

My son even looks like TS...he's a little taller, (6' 6") but he even has dark naturally curly hair and TS facial dimples!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MPS »

I have on of those, too; a son that looks a bit like TS. 6'5", curly brown hair, dimples, but sadly no mustache. He even says "Ta" when leaving a room. I'm sure it's due to all the MPI I watched while expecting him. :lol: And people say a woman should only listen to classical music when pregnant. MPI is sooo much better for the baby!
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by sophia »

Back in 1980 I was a teenager. I watched Magnum PI from the beginning.
The reasons why are the same as everyone elses.
Thomas was just so cool. I really enjoyed it then and now I honestly beleive it is the best television show ever made.
At least in my opinion.
While reading everyones different experiences I remembered something I had not thought of in many years.
During the 80s lots of people I'm sure had posters of Thomas Magnum in his famous red hawaiian shirt.
The most unusual place I ever saw one was on the ceiling in a maternity ward in the labor and delivery room.

layne
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by layne »

I started watching Magnum as a teenager. I couldn't wait for Thursday nights! But my twin sister (my evil twin) hated Magnum. She always wanted to watch whatever was on opposite Magnum...the Cosby Show etc. We only had one TV in our room so we had constant arguments. We usually would draw straws so obviously I missed a lot of episodes! It's great that 20 years later the show is still so popular and now I get to even own the DVD's. In fact, my twin bought me my first MPI season for my birthday a few years back. And yes, she still doesn't share the love for MPI, but I forgive her. How can anyone not love Magnum? Gee...if we didn't look alike, I would think we were switched at birth! :?

Carmen
MPI

#35 Post by Carmen »

Can`t really remember when MPI first aired in Germany, must have been somewhen 83 or 84. I was a 16 or 17 back then, had to fight with the rest of the family for watching it. I loved the show back then, but am crazy about it right now. Mid-life-crisis maybe?? :P
Now hubby, me and my 2 teenage sons watch one episode every evening, and the 2 little ones (3 and 5 years old) are allowed to watch the fun stuff and more harmless epis from time to time.
Bought a tigers-base-cap and put it in my car, not even beeing a baseball fan - weired? - Not a bit!!! Pretty normal :!:

foggydayz
Commander

#36 Post by foggydayz »

These are a lot fun to read , great topic VM02 :D

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Steve »

layne wrote:I started watching Magnum as a teenager. I couldn't wait for Thursday nights! But my twin sister (my evil twin) hated Magnum. She always wanted to watch whatever was on opposite Magnum...the Cosby Show etc.:?
It was The Cosby Show that knocked Magnum, PI out of first place on Thursday nights and forced it to Wednesday nights. If I remember correctly, TS being such a gentleman, sent Bill Cosby a baseball cap from the series (I just don't recall if it was a Magnum PI cap, a Detroit Tigers cap, or the VMO2 cap). I do recall Bill Cosby did wear it on an episode as a sign of respect and mutual admiration. Two class acts that Hollywood could use more of........

Steve
Chicago

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#38 Post by SelleckLover »

Two class acts that Hollywood could use more of........

Nicely said, Steve!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#39 Post by N1095A »

TS being such a gentleman, sent Bill Cosby a baseball cap from the series (I just don't recall if it was a Magnum PI cap, a Detroit Tigers cap, or the VMO2 cap).
I beliefe if memory serves correctly that it said "Magnum, P.I. Hawaii"
"But Higgins, I can explain."

SusieQ
Ensign

#40 Post by SusieQ »

I was 23 in 1980, and remember being hooked on Magnum right from the start. From then on, I've always been a Tom Selleck fan in a relatively quiet way, but it seems that just lately, for some reason, the TS "bug" has reared it's ugly head again!! I've managed to get hold of the first 7 series of Magnum, and have also got several of his movies. My sons (15 and 13) both groan loudly when I show them yet another TS movie (I've just had "Last Stand at Saber River" delivered, although I haven't had a chance to watch it yet), but, curiously, when I want to watch an episode or two of Magnum late on a saturday evening, they're quite happy to watch with me!! I've also got the four "Jesse Stone" episodes, and I must say that I found them extremely good. The acting is superb and TS's performance as the alcoholic sheriff is almost heartbreaking, you can see him struggling with his addiction.

In addition I'm now at the point where I even have photo's of TS on my mobile phone and as wallpaper on my PC desktop, much to my husband's disgust (tough luck!!) And I always say that I'm sorry dear, but I would never climb over TS to get to him!!!! So this is what reaching the grand old age of fifty is like!!!! LOL

Anyway, as a last comment, I also must say that TS is getting even better looking with age, some of the Las Vegas episodes were shown here on Dutch TV and I had to watch just for him.... I wonder if he's had any cosmetic surgery or is it all natural??? Maybe he just has good genes!! Here's hoping that he look like that for a long time, and that I never get too old to drool.....!!!!

Greetings from Holland,

SusieQ

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Little Garwood »

I was nine when Magnum debuted in 1980, but didn't become hooked on the show until the end of the second season. The first episode I ever saw was THREE MINUS TWO. My best friend told me I'd love it and I did! We used to draw (mine were awful) our own comics in fifth grade and our ongoing series was Magnum, P.I., which we called "Magnum Char-Li" after the character we created, who was brilliantly named "Charlie." Sam was our other character ("Sam & Charlie" Comics--A Nova Comics Presentation") and he played Higgins. Hey, we were ten years old!

Anyway, as the 1980s wore on (and they did, believe me!) Magnum, and later Simon & Simon, were our favorite shows, and were a Thursday night Godsend! The horrors of Middle School and especially High School made Magnum my refuge from the world. I will admit that sometime during the seventh season, I got away from the show ("Death & Taxes" is what did it, go figure) but in the years after college, I rediscovered Magnum and how it still moved me in so many ways. I was watching and taping it and after WGN dropped it, i finally decided to get the DVDs, which had received many harsh reviews because of their quality. But here I am, and I look forward in talking to everyone about the show and whatever else...

Steven

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:I was nine when Magnum debuted in 1980, but didn't become hooked on the show until the end of the second season. The first episode I ever saw was THREE MINUS TWO. My best friend told me I'd love it and I did!
You know, I'm really not sure if THREE MINUS TWO was my first or THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH. The fact that I can remember any TV show from 26 years ago is a miracle, especially since there are so many season 6 & 7 episodes I don't remember! (am getting acquainted with them on DVD, though) However, I *do* know for sure that it was a season two episode.