The Marks Estate

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Steve »

Braddah Kimo wrote:....foolin around with a lil morphing of the Cooke/Marks dakine. Fun to see how the trees grew in seventy eight years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S28MmpCy ... e=youtu.be

(the four trees on the right.)
Very cool...........Can you find a way to do that with shots from The Estate..............

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Braddah Kimo »

you read my mind.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Sam »

The Marks Estate is on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/MarksEstate

Two news pics of the Higgins den..Pics 8-12

http://www.hirephoto.com/oldpaliroad/slideshow

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Sam »

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Go, Dave, GO! ahahaha!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#36 Post by golfmobile »

In my opinion, they have completely and disastrously ruined it. Look at the slideshow on Facebook of the 68 pictures. They've painted all that gorgeous wood -- or stripped it to look "distressed" (ceiling on covered lanai). AAAAGGGHHHH!!!! It breaks my heart to see what has been done to it -- totally wiped out its historical context and value. Criminal . . . . How could the Hawaii Historical Society allow this?

JMO!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"they have completely and disastrously ruined it... stripped it to look "distressed" (ceiling on covered lanai). "
This is someone obviously wholly unconversant with the way wood is affected by the climate and weather in general, in Hawai'i. Or what kind of wood it is, and the care and maintenance required thereof. And or course if anyone claims "they have completely and disastrously ruined it" then the claimant has no conception of historical structures of Hawai'i (and the history of this particular one, in particular,) and the ways and means of preservation. (It is obvious; there is no pleasing some people. If it is painted, they cry and rant. If it gets striped of a finish, they cry and rant.)

" It breaks my heart to see what has been done to it -- totally wiped out its historical context and value. Criminal . . . . How could the Hawaii Historical Society allow this? "
Well the aswer of course can be given in so many different ways. But I will make a valiant attempt:
As the Hawaiian Historical Society was organized in January 1892, they have bigger fish to fry than whining about some estate created by haole missionary stock in the relatively young, current years of the 1930's Hawaii. A fact and premise totally lost on mainland haoles who bandy about the phrase "mid-century" as if it were the be-all, end all, in historical importance. But implies nothing more than the mid nineteen fifties. Where, we, in Hawaii, consider that era, the current age. Mid century? Oh, the 1800's eh!? No? the 1700's?
Answer number 2 or so;
The Hawaii Historical Society's position... although not being a mind reader and not in any position to know what they think of the restoration efforts of the Cooke Estate, probably are very appreciative of the current owner's extreme efforts to preserve the estate. Something above, beyond and outside of the mind of the previous owners' capacity and obvious efforts to date. I leave it to the reader to perform the requisite homework. A task fully lost on others so quick to ridicule and judge.

I myself, don't like painted wood, and prefer the old skool look. But then, I do not OWN... the Cooke Estate. Neither does the previous poster, "golfmobile". So, if "golfmobile" would like to alter the look of any aspect of the estate, or to demand any change based upon some wild preconception and lack of knowledge about this Hawaiian Estate and its condition, and painfully obvious lack of knowledge of its "historical context", I suggest "golfmobile" put their money where their mouth is and Pony Up the sum of about 9 mill. Then and only then are they in a position to tell anyone how the estate should look, or how it should be preserved, or painted, or not painted, and then of course they may hopefully realize what expenditures are required to maintain an estate such as this. Perhaps "golfmobile" would care to explore what great time, effort and monetary expenditures were extended to actually bring the estate to habitable status, as it is now, as the structures previously in the hands of apathetic owners of the past, (who "golfmobile" cares not a whit about...) were in such a state as to warrant demolition as the only remedy (by those in the know, here and NOT in "atlanta"), judging by its condition.
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhatCat
Admiral

#38 Post by PhatCat »

I hear what you're saying, Kimo, but go easy on Golf. She's good people.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Thank you. But it is nothing personal. I don't care even if it were mother, or jesus H Christ that tried to tell me the preservation efforts thus far on the Cooke (Marks) estate is "criminal." That they have completely and disastrously ruined it and totally wiped out its historical context and value. All this vehement conjecture based on ab so LUTE ly no cognizant actual history of the place and it's disrepair and repair. And then to cast aspersions on our Historical Society. Each and every rant, runs completely opposite to actual reality and denigrates a cool, local landmark but moreso, disparages the time and money expenditures that were so long overdue, that previous owners would not embark on, and the incredible repairs and renovation of the structures of late, (and the extensive grounds that rival most any botanical gardens of the isles) bringing them back to life and to habitable condition, from as I say, almost teardown condition. I never heard one word about the travesty committed by the State when they owned it. BUT! the efforts currently and through the past years to undo all that gawdawful industrial office crap that destroyed the character and look of the place didn't happen magically or overnight. Not one word we hear about that. Just "Oh no. dear me, this place now is awful, it's 100% ruined and its criminal how they changed it." 'a'ole! NO one should stand for this who has any appreciation to any degree of the Old Pali Road landmark. Anyone here on Oahu who would hear someone claim "they" COMPLETELY, (that is an absolute term, mind you) and disastrously ruined it and TOTALLY (that also, is an absolute term, mind you) wiped out its historical context and value." (which of course means it now contains ZERO historical context and any value, and it is 100% ruined to a point of a calamitous event incurring GREAT loss of life and damage.) anyone here is told that, they immediately will tell whoEVER says this... I mean a street person, the Gov, Steve McGarrett... whoever utters anything close to this, will be immediately told, You are completely and totally clueless and a fool from Canada. Leave the islands. And do not ever speak of, hint at, nor refer to anything here in Hawai'i again.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Sam »

Hey Alan,

As you noted,Golf is from Atlanta and it was her OPINION in regards to her comments on the Marks Estate.If you have different opinion..that's fine,go ahead an state them but you don't need to be a rick.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Braddah Kimo »

all apologies to those offended.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Lily »

Careful about your Canada comment as well :roll:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#43 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Hey Kimo, clearly you're passionate about the subject and I think that's awesome. But those of us who know Golf know she's really cool and her comments come from a good place. The vast majority of those of us who visit this forum are "Haoles" who have been charmed by the magic of your home and we regularly comment on how things should be put back to the way they were originally. For many of us, the locations featured on Magnum are a place to escape to in our minds and when we see them in rough shape, it sort of gets you down.

If I may be so bold as to interpret, I think Golf's comments are really motivated by her passion/desire to see the place in ship shape, rather than a real criticism of those who "should" or "shouldn't" be responsible for the state its in. Sure, maybe it's a misinformed perspective, but I don't think it merits a diatribe. This has (almost) always been a friendly place and we can keep it that way while still expressing our (including your) opinions.

Oh yeah, and what's up with Canadians? Are we, like, the most hated tourists in Hawai'i? :wink:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I do apologize for the diatribe. Call it toughlove. I should have used a fictitious country, the canada thing was pulled from the hat. Just a saying. Again, it is impersonal and no directed at one personally. Used to make a point. That locals here get really backed up when anyone, (they don't care who) fully unjustly disses our landmarks, old or new. As I said, whether it is from mary, joe or sue, comments about the estate, really would be nice if they were backed with an appreciation of the estate having been renewed as a fortune and years have gone into bringing it back to life. Ya know, when it was owned by the state of Hawai'i, and used in Magnum PI, the State cared not a whit about upkeep, repair, maintenance. It was in extreme disrepair. Roofs caving in. Gutters falling off. No doors here and there. And visible in the MPI eps, it had awful lighting fixtures inappropriate to the place, metal railings around the outside ruining the look, metal street signs about, painted striped driveway... stuff li'dat. All this junk ain't original. No one said boo about any of that. 'Suup wi'dat, hah?

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I wholeheartedly agree the external upper story painting of the dark wood should not have been done. Don't know if Unity house did that or not. One could exert influence and see that maybe a change could be in place to bring that back to original condition, that would be nice. As a videographer and photography nut, I would be overjoyed. (just guessing but)... one would get this as a likely response; We have acres of landscaping to maintain, to keep the rainforest from encroaching on the structures. We have plumbing, roofing, electrical, painting, wood maintenance to keep us busy. We will prioritize and then maybe in the year 2187, we will look into sandblasting the exterior and painting the wood with a matte finish U.V. marine varnish or similar.

Ya know, talk about how things were and wanting them to be that way again, it's fun to watch old Hawaii 5-0 eps, and then see Hawaii about fifteen or twenty years later in Magnum PI, and now, things really have changed since Selleck worked here. Chinatown really has changed and Waikiki, too dramatically. I grew up in Waikiki from age 17 on. Before that, hung around Chinatown and boy, how I wish "my home" could be the way it was back then...

(aaagh! I'm still diatribing!)