The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2776 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:38 pm I don't know if I posted this before, but here's a video of sailing on a much calmer day with light wind. Ignore the crap filming. I was awkwardly holding a camera in one hand while working the rudder with the other.

youtu.be/pOh0mVO7zOg
Nice! Thanks for sharing. That moves along a little quicker than my old monohull. :lol:

Before I hear the rest of your story I have to ask, after your adventure, do you still subscribe to the old sailing phrase, “The worst day on the water is still better than the best day on land”? :D

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#2777 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:49 pmBefore I hear the rest of your story I have to ask, after your adventure, do you still subscribe to the old sailing phrase, “The worst day on the water is still better than the best day on land”? :D
No. No I don't.

Although most of the pain and suffering happened after I reached land, I've had many fine days on land that were better than that night on the water. Wait a minute - the quote refers to "day" and the day wasn't quite so bad. It was the night that sucked.

Amian
Admiral

#2778 Post by Amian »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:53 pmUnfortunately, erosion from sea level rise and increasing numbers of extreme weather events seems to be accelerating at a rate faster than the climatologist’s predictions. I don’t think a lot of people realize that not only is sea level rising, they can see that, but that it is happening increasingly quickly. I don’t know how long you have lived there, but it wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect that the amount of loss you have experienced since living there will continue, but in less time, perhaps far less. :( I expect increasing problems where I live also.
I've been enjoying these posts about the estates. The "icebergs" are incredible. As for sea levels rising, yes, it seems to be happening faster and faster. Just the other day there was a Guardian article that indicates just how bad it's getting; far faster than expected.
(Here it is, if you're curious: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... oyqPjUMo6k)
(Sorry for how cumbersome that link is... I don't see where to turn text into hyperlinks.)

Mad Kudu Buck, your Hawaii house looks wonderful.

lemnefresh
Ensign

#2779 Post by lemnefresh »

I drove by it last Wednesday, and for some reason didn't take any pictures. Looks almost done though

robcollie
Ensign

#2780 Post by robcollie »

I realize how old this thread is, but I'd really like to get those files but they're no longer on Dropbox. Any chance those could be re-shared, or emailed to me or something?

Thanks!!

Rob

Capa150
Lieutenant Commander

#2781 Post by Capa150 »

Minecraft version here, with downloadable world file (Java Minecraft only).

https://youtu.be/q9ET0BKPZWw

robcollie
Ensign

#2782 Post by robcollie »

That's cool. I'm hoping to get the latest version of the one Pahonu did in sketchup

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#2783 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Capa150 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:02 am Minecraft version here, with downloadable world file (Java Minecraft only).

Congratulations, I found it instructive, especially regardin the guesthouse for which it is clear that the layout of the soundstage simply does not correspond to the reality of the actual building.

There is simply no enough room in it!

Amazing to imagine what it would have been, especially the extension with the bathroom and the windows, on the living room side, instead of the big door of the boathouse ...
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Pahonu

#2784 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:38 pm
Capa150 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:02 am Minecraft version here, with downloadable world file (Java Minecraft only).

There is simply no enough room in it!
You have no idea how many times I have explained that to forum members over the last decade! :lol:

I know it ruins the magic for some, but that’s the reality. I’ve had a few people even argue a bit about it. Nothing big, but it’s just simple math, as in square footage.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2785 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:27 pm
Gorilla Mask wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:38 pmThere is simply no enough room in it!
You have no idea how many times I have explained that to forum members over the last decade! :lol:

I know it ruins the magic for some, but that’s the reality. I’ve had a few people even argue a bit about it. Nothing big, but it’s just simple math, as in square footage.
Much like how Pluto will always be a planet to me, the boat house will always be the guest house to me.

I simply won't hear this talk that the guest house does not fit into the boat house. :shock:

:magnum: :magnum: :magnum: :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2786 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I think it was someone here who seemed to be confused by the very idea of what a set is. I suppose if one is not familiar with movie or TV making then they just assume that what they see on the screen is what really happens. So if a guy enters a building and then we cut to the inside of the building that the guy entered, they assume that the interior filming MUST be inside that same building. Alas such is often not the case. That's movie magic for you! :)

I think it was when I was watching the making-of featurettes of the Bond films that I first stumbled across the concept of "miniatures". Honestly it blew my mind that many of these set pieces which I imagined to be full size were actually miniatures. :shock: Very convincingly done! I even remember wondering how they got Roger Moore up there on the top beam of the Golden Gate Bridge! :lol: It was later that I discovered such things as miniature replicas filmed on a sound stage combined with rear projection. So yes for the long shots it was a stuntman up there on the top beam of the Golden Gate Bridge but for the closeups it's Roger on a sound stage clinging for dear life to a miniature replica beam. :D

Pahonu

#2787 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:27 pm
Gorilla Mask wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:38 pmThere is simply no enough room in it!

Much like how Pluto will always be a planet to me, the boat house will always be the guest house to me.

I simply won't hear this talk that the guest house does not fit into the boat house. :shock:

:magnum: :magnum: :magnum: :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have no problem with the willing suspension of disbelief. After all, that’s the bases of all motion pictures.

Just please, please, PLEASE don’t try to argue that it will fit in! :lol:

This reminds me of a story an architect friend of mine told me several years ago. He had a middle-aged woman as a client and she was doing some major construction and remodeling of her home. Her builder had given her a quote on the cost per square foot for the remodeling and one for the new construction. My friend developed plans for her based on her requirements and her budget. Long story short, she asked for several changes enlarging the project and was given the new total. She didn’t like the cost and they went round and round until my exasperated friend laid it out for her:

Cost per square foot X square feet = total cost

He had to write it down for her explaining he can’t change how multiplication works!!! :lol:

Pahonu

#2788 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:55 pm I think it was someone here who seemed to be confused by the very idea of what a set is. I suppose if one is not familiar with movie or TV making then they just assume that what they see on the screen is what really happens. So if a guy enters a building and then we cut to the inside of the building that the guy entered, they assume that the interior filming MUST be inside that same building. Alas such is often not the case. That's movie magic for you! :)

I think it was when I was watching the making-of featurettes of the Bond films that I first stumbled across the concept of "miniatures". Honestly it blew my mind that many of these set pieces which I imagined to be full size were actually miniatures. :shock: Very convincingly done! I even remember wondering how they got Roger Moore up there on the top beam of the Golden Gate Bridge! :lol: It was later that I discovered such things as miniature replicas filmed on a sound stage combined with rear projection. So yes for the long shots it was a stuntman up there on the top beam of the Golden Gate Bridge but for the closeups it's Roger on a sound stage clinging for dear life to a miniature replica beam. :D
Absolutely accurate.

I’ve found the other thing that many don’t understand is how everything is filmed out of order based on sets and locations. That’s why continuity is so important and someone has that as their only job during production. I was friends with a woman who did continuity in the production I worked on. She literally wore a string necklace around her neck with dozens of Polaroids on it. She always had the Polaroid camera, a hole punch, and a sharpie to write on the photos. This is how they used to keep track of all the details for each setup.

Pahonu

#2789 Post by Pahonu »

robcollie wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:14 am That's cool. I'm hoping to get the latest version of the one Pahonu did in sketchup
I sent you a PM.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2790 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:46 pm I have no problem with the willing suspension of disbelief. After all, that’s the bases of all motion pictures.

Just please, please, PLEASE don’t try to argue that it will fit in! :lol:
:magnum:

So, question, and I am really not trying to start something here:

What is the problem with the guest house/boat house? Is it simply dimensions? As in, is it something like this (picking numbers, since I don't know the real numbers): the boat house is 20x20x20 feet (ha), and the guest house stage is 40x40x40 feet?

Or is it something like this: The layout of the show's guest house does not match the layout of the real boat house? That is, for example: the stairs in the guest house are "here," whereas the stairs in the boat house are "there"...