The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2671 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:I just wanted to post this picture that shows the perimeter wall of Pahonu from the neighboring property. This is not the Shriners’ side, but the other. It’s available for rental. The wall seems to slope down pretty significantly and has lots of sharp rocks on top, it looks like.

https://ibb.co/dpHBFt5
I vaguely remember seeing another pic from way back that may show those sharp rocks on top of the wall too. I think it was hard to make out with all the overgrown foliage that was hanging off the wall, but you could still see a tiny bit of them....that or the wall was missing some rock on top. I'll try and find the pic, but the one you have there is excellent and reveals that whole section of the wall very nicely. I know for sure on the Shriner's side they have that same sharp jagged rock on top.
Remember also, at some point similar rocks appeared on the lower sea wall tops where Magnum used to sit. I remember seeing this in photos. This was seemingly done to discourage people from sitting there. Even with beaches open to public access in Hawaii, as in California, anything above the mean high tide line is still private property as that would be.
Hi P,
Yes they are even down on that lower sea wall like you mentioned.....definitely used as a deterrent from sitting and/or walking on. The perimeter side walls would still be easy to climb over with the those jagged pieces, but it would help prevent with sitting or walking on. I've seen kids playing on the lower lip/ledge on the Shriner's side of the wall before (almost a two tier wall on that side) and I'm sure those jagged pieces keeps the kids from climbing on the very top. Barbed wire would work even better, :wink: but that wouldn't be very neighborly or look nice either.
That sounds about right. Did you happen see the photo renderings I posted above?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#2672 Post by T.Q. »

Steve wrote:
Pahonu wrote:I just wanted to post this picture that shows the perimeter wall of Pahonu from the neighboring property. This is not the Shriners’ side, but the other. It’s available for rental. The wall seems to slope down pretty significantly and has lots of sharp rocks on top, it looks like.

https://ibb.co/dpHBFt5
There is three different cottages on that property that are all for rent........(The last time I checked).
Weird. I asked a question but it’s not here.

Can you please direct me to where I can find these cottages to rent.

Might look into them.

Thx
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

JosipCro
Captain

#2673 Post by JosipCro »

Hi all great people!
I watched a lot of video content on youtube with Robins Nest today.

And I can only say that I am saddened by the fact that the house was demolished.

But there are two more buildings left, a guest house and a roadside house.
So if there are opportunities for someone to take fresh photos of those two buildings. I would be very happy and satisfied.
Also, it would be very amazing if someone could take video content and photos of these two buildings inside and out.

I hope it doesn't ruin what's left

robbie308
Lieutenant

#2674 Post by robbie308 »

Yesterday by coincidence I saw a video taken during a hike in the mountains above Pahonu, which was posted in an Instagram story. Just at the bottom of the screen it was possible to get a glimpse of the estate. I took a screenshot, but it's hard to see any details. But I considered it to be worth posting here, anyway.

The roof of the guest house is still visible, but the rest of the estate seems to be prepared for the building activities. Unfortunately it is impossible to see the gate house.

"Oh – my – god!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2675 Post by KENJI »

Thanks for posting the aerial pic Robbie308!
It appears the tennis court has been removed. I wish we could zoom in more.
I've done that hike and the view from up there is fantastic!!
Now if we could only find someone to hike up there every month and take progress pics for us. :wink:

robbie308
Lieutenant

#2676 Post by robbie308 »

KENJI wrote:It appears the tennis court has been removed. I wish we could zoom in more.
I had the same thought about the tennis court. Another memory gone. On the beige coloured surface there seem to be rows of posts or something in symmetrical order... could this be some kind if foundation, already finished?
KENJI wrote:I've done that hike and the view from up there is fantastic!!
Well, I imagine it must be fantastic! Wifey and me are just too lame to do such hikes... instead we took the helicopter tour in T.C.'s chopper (Paradise Helicopters) last time we went to Oahu. It offered more or less the same spectacular view.
KENJI wrote:Now if we could only find someone to hike up there every month and take progress pics for us. :wink:
That would be perfect.
"Oh – my – god!"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2677 Post by K Hale »

I’ve taken the tour in TC’s chopper. It was quite a thrill to see it from the air!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2678 Post by KENJI »

robbie308 wrote:
KENJI wrote:It appears the tennis court has been removed. I wish we could zoom in more.
I had the same thought about the tennis court. Another memory gone. On the beige coloured surface there seem to be rows of posts or something in symmetrical order... could this be some kind if foundation, already finished?
KENJI wrote:I've done that hike and the view from up there is fantastic!!
Well, I imagine it must be fantastic! Wifey and me are just too lame to do such hikes... instead we took the helicopter tour in T.C.'s chopper (Paradise Helicopters) last time we went to Oahu. It offered more or less the same spectacular view.
KENJI wrote:Now if we could only find someone to hike up there every month and take progress pics for us. :wink:
That would be perfect.
Hi Robbie308,

It does look like a possible piling/pier type foundation in that beige area. I wish the pic was a little closer and covered the entire property to take it all in....oh well, it's a sneak peek that we didn't have before. I'm sure someone will hike up there again and give us an updated shot.....that or a pic from the seat of TC's chopper would be just as good. :wink:

Pahonu

#2679 Post by Pahonu »

robbie308 wrote: Image
Here’s the plans overlayed on the property to compare:
https://ibb.co/j5CP9W1

Those do look like foundation piers and they’re in the right place according to the plans.

Pahonu

#2680 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:Thanks for posting the aerial pic Robbie308!
Now if we could only find someone to hike up there every month and take progress pics for us. :wink:
Hey Kenji! It’s been a while. :) There’s some technical problem with me posting about your reply to my boathouse thread, so I’m putting it here. Since we see it in the new photo...

Very good points about leaving the boathouse alone until the homes are complete. Makes perfect sense. I’m wondering what then? You’re spot on about the limits of remodeling versus a tear down and rebuild. I’m pretty certain that they couldn’t expand the footprint, but building codes in different places have vastly different definitions of a “remodel”. I recall seeing a place right on the sand in Malibu 20+ years ago and the place was demolished down to 2 walls from the first floor. I told my wife then that they left those two frames, and they were nothing more than studs and plates in an L-shape, because then it’s classified as a remodel. Most places don’t allow those extremes anymore but I’ve seen a few similar since then. It would be wise to keep it just for it’s location but who knows what their priorities are. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2681 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:
robbie308 wrote: Image
Here’s the plans overlayed on the property to compare:
https://ibb.co/j5CP9W1

Those do look like foundation piers and they’re in the right place according to the plans.
Many thanks for posting the overlay Pahonu!!!
That would pretty much confirm they are foundation piers (imo).
The tennis court is definitely gone based on the overlay too....another piece of Pahonu bites the dust.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2682 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:
Hey Kenji! It’s been a while. :) There’s some technical problem with me posting about your reply to my boathouse thread, so I’m putting it here. Since we see it in the new photo...

Very good points about leaving the boathouse alone until the homes are complete. Makes perfect sense. I’m wondering what then? You’re spot on about the limits of remodeling versus a tear down and rebuild. I’m pretty certain that they couldn’t expand the footprint, but building codes in different places have vastly different definitions of a “remodel”. I recall seeing a place right on the sand in Malibu 20+ years ago and the place was demolished down to 2 walls from the first floor. I told my wife then that they left those two frames, and they were nothing more than studs and plates in an L-shape, because then it’s classified as a remodel. Most places don’t allow those extremes anymore but I’ve seen a few similar since then. It would be wise to keep it just for it’s location but who knows what their priorities are. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
Hi P,

Yes, it has been a while!

I've seen of few of those Malibu type "remodels" too, right down to the way you described it....too funny. Many developers etc......will look for the loopholes like that, as it's more cost effective....one can save time and money by not having to play around with an old structure that isn't level anywhere (floors, walls, ceilings), dealing with cutting open walls to rewire and plumb etc., etc. By knocking it down to say 2 stud walls you can start fresh for the most part and get it done much quicker that way. How far you can go with a "remodel" all depends on where it's taking place (like you had mentioned). Some areas have strict policies on that sort of thing and others are a little more lenient/flexible. :wink: I remember one where they had ripped it down to almost nothing and they were allowed to increase the square footage by building up, not out. They had to stay within the existing foundation walls, but were allowed to build a new second story on top of this home......the trade off was they had to keep the basement ceiling height the same as the original which was very low, making the basement still more of a place for storage than useable like for a rec room etc.. It was a real shame, but by not complying, no remodel would've taken place.....the nature of the beast. Compromise usually comes into play when dealing with an old structure that is grandfathered in.

As for your what then question.......time will tell....I like your idea of it staying as the "toy chest" for all their toys they use in the water. Another thought....maybe it will be used for security detail when Obama stays or even lives there :wink: ....i.e. a security post/lookout for the ocean side of the compound and the gatehouse being the post facing the highway. It doesn't have to be big or fancy for them....a toilet, a covered area from the elements and a space for some cameras/computers etc.. The boathouse would be ideal for that type of set up.....they could even store a few jet-skis or a zodiac below if they had to patrol the ocean. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with...assuming they can even save it!

Pahonu

#2683 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Hi P,

I've seen of few of those Malibu type "remodels" too, right down to the way you described it....too funny. Many developers etc......will look for the loopholes like that, as it's more cost effective....one can save time and money by not having to play around with an old structure that isn't level anywhere (floors, walls, ceilings), dealing with cutting open walls to rewire and plumb etc., etc. By knocking it down to say 2 stud walls you can start fresh for the most part and get it done much quicker that way. How far you can go with a "remodel" all depends on where it's taking place (like you had mentioned). Some areas have strict policies on that sort of thing and others are a little more lenient/flexible. :wink: I remember one where they had ripped it down to almost nothing and they were allowed to increase the square footage by building up, not out. They had to stay within the existing foundation walls, but were allowed to build a new second story on top of this home......the trade off was they had to keep the basement ceiling height the same as the original which was very low, making the basement still more of a place for storage than useable like for a rec room etc.. It was a real shame, but by not complying, no remodel would've taken place.....the nature of the beast. Compromise usually comes into play when dealing with an old structure that is grandfathered in.

As for your what then question.......time will tell....I like your idea of it staying as the "toy chest" for all their toys they use in the water. Another thought....maybe it will be used for security detail when Obama stays or even lives there :wink: ....i.e. a security post/lookout for the ocean side of the compound and the gatehouse being the post facing the highway. It doesn't have to be big or fancy for them....a toilet, a covered area from the elements and a space for some cameras/computers etc.. The boathouse would be ideal for that type of set up.....they could even store a few jet-skis or a zodiac below if they had to patrol the ocean. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with...assuming they can even save it!
That security idea is interesting. Having the gatehouse and boathouse used for land and sea security would definitely imply a presidential resident!

Did you see my edit comments on the gatehouse floor plan thread? I had a new idea about the actual use of the boathouse space. Sorry it’s kind of long.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2684 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Hi P,

That security idea is interesting. Having the gatehouse and boathouse used for land and sea security would definitely imply a presidential resident!

Did you see my edit comments on the gatehouse floor plan thread? I had a new idea about the actual use of the boathouse space. Sorry it’s kind of long.
Hi P,
Sorry I missed that thread!!!! :oops:
I've just added a comment to it.

JosipCro
Captain

#2685 Post by JosipCro »

Hi All!

Yesterday I saw a post with fresh pictures of Robin's Nest, I got the permission of the owners of the photos that I can post them here on the forum, so here ...

https://www.facebook.com/magnumonlocati ... 1999316637

Owners

https://www.facebook.com/mjangelel