The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2461 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I've opened another thread but thought, that it may interest some of you in the Pahonu section.

As some of you know, we have been to Hawaii again on 30th September.
Unfortunately, there was not enough time to drive to Pahonu to have a swim in the tidal pool, but it was time enough to revisit Agatha's place.

Since Ecoes of the Mind, I am in love with the house and it's certainly located in a beautiful neighborhood.

Please enjoy the pics:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2462 Post by KENJI »

Glad to see the old girl is still standing!
Thanks for sharing Bond!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2463 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I've opened another thread but thought, that it may interest some of you in the Pahonu section.

As some of you know, we have been to Hawaii again on 30th September.
Unfortunately, there was not enough time to drive to Pahonu to have a swim in the tidal pool, but it was time enough to revisit Agatha's place.

Since Ecoes of the Mind, I am in love with the house and it's certainly located in a beautiful neighborhood.

Please enjoy the pics:

Where is exactly is this? Do you have an address? I guess I didn't get to the episodes yet featuring Agatha's house.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2464 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

The house is in a suburb of Honolulu.

I'll not post the full address here, you can find it in Rubber Chicken's location guide or pm me.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#2465 Post by 308GUY »

Anybody have an idea of how it came to pass that this house was able to be used as Agatha's in the show?

We sort of know the "filmography" or history of the Anderson and Marks estates, but I've wondered what type of arrangements were made to use other dwellings on the island during filming, like this house and the one in "Almost Home", Sal and Leena's place in "Never Again", etc..

Thanks Bondtoys for the great pics! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2466 Post by Pahonu »

308GUY wrote:Anybody have an idea of how it came to pass that this house was able to be used as Agatha's in the show?

We sort of know the "filmography" or history of the Anderson and Marks estates, but I've wondered what type of arrangements were made to use other dwellings on the island during filming, like this house and the one in "Almost Home", Sal and Leena's place in "Never Again", etc..

Thanks Bondtoys for the great pics! :magnum:
This would all be up to the location scouts on the show. The script would call for a scene at a certain type of location. The producers or show creators, maybe even the art director, would specify anything particular they were looking for and the scouts would start looking. Sometimes it's as simple as a knock at the door of an unsuspecting homeowner, as happened to a friend of mine, except it was at the companionway of his sailboat. He was approached about using it in a commercial of some kind, but sadly, had to turn down the money because he was already committed to a cruise called the BahaHaHa during their filming window. He also told me a friend of his at the Shoreline Yacht Club here in Long Beach had his boat used in CSI Miami several years ago. They filmed most of the exteriors here, not in Miami. The town houses at the marina we live in were seen in the background of a few episodes as well. My wife's stepmother, who used to live in a cool old house on the Jersey Shore in Spring Lake was paid several thousand dollars for the use of her home in filming, but I don't know many details. I do know she was literally left a letter in her front screen and eventually put together a deal for some kind of filming there. It's all kind of a crapshoot as to what, where, and when they're looking for something.
Last edited by Pahonu on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2467 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote:
308GUY wrote:Anybody have an idea of how it came to pass that this house was able to be used as Agatha's in the show?
This would all be up to the location scouts on the show.
I'm reminded of a Maxwell House coffee ad from 10-20 years ago. The film crew was driving down the road in the outskirts of Clarksville TN, and they passed my Great Aunt/Great Uncle's house. They liked the look of my uncle's barn better than the one they were heading to, so they knocked on the door and asked if they could film my aunt giving my uncle a cup of coffee. It's about 1 second in the 30-second ad, but it's neat.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#2468 Post by 308GUY »

Thanks for the insights, Pahonu, that explanation makes sense.

eagle: So your uncle got paid for keeping his barn "up to snuff"! :lol:

That's what I'd call truly being "in the right place at the right time." :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#2469 Post by T.Q. »

The Estate grounds showed up on my Instagram today.

Still sad. :(

Last edited by T.Q. on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2470 Post by eagle »

T.Q. wrote:The Estate grounds showed up on my Instagram today.

Still sad. :(
My wife and I still talk about it. So, so sad.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#2471 Post by NotthatRick »

:x Still angry!

Pahonu

#2472 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
This would all be up to the location scouts on the show.
I'm reminded of a Maxwell House coffee ad from 10-20 years ago. The film crew was driving down the road in the outskirts of Clarksville TN, and they passed my Great Aunt/Great Uncle's house. They liked the look of my uncle's barn better than the one they were heading to, so they knocked on the door and asked if they could film my aunt giving my uncle a cup of coffee. It's about 1 second in the 30-second ad, but it's neat.
Cool story!

It can be so random sometimes.

Pahonu

#2473 Post by Pahonu »

308GUY wrote:Thanks for the insights, Pahonu, that explanation makes sense.

eagle: So your uncle got paid for keeping his barn "up to snuff"! :lol:

That's what I'd call truly being "in the right place at the right time." :magnum:
No problem! :)

I worked for a few years in television production, and learned a lot about the business... including it's a bit too random for me. I was in the right place at the right time to get my first position, but I quickly realized it's a very fickle industry and you have to want it pretty badly to put up with the hours and demands. I don't regret leaving it for a minute, and I have friends that are still in the industry. That's what it's called here in SoCal by the way, "The Industry", and people will know what you mean. LOL! It hasn't changed much in these respects.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2474 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

When Pahonu was taken down earlier this year, I have managed to save these:

Yes, that's the decorative "ball" on the Pahonu balcony railing.

Screencap from Distant Relative:

The other must be one of the window-openers.

I have also managed to save these:

(from the amount of tarnishing, I assume that these have been mounted somewhere outside)

and 2 bricks:

Thanks go out to the incredible guy who helped me!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2475 Post by eagle »

Bondtoys.de wrote:When Pahonu was taken down earlier this year, I have managed to save these:

Thanks go out to the incredible guy who helped me!
Wow - that's awesome. I know that many of us here wanted a piece. Too bad you weren't able to get something for each of us.