The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2266 Post by K Hale »

eagle wrote:
K Hale wrote:Question. I hope this makes sense: How well does Robin's Nest correlate with the Pahonu floor plan? Are there parts of the sound stage sets that do not line up properly or are impossible given the posted floor plan?
Well, we know that Magnum's guest house is not at all like the boat house. I have the same question about the main house.
Haha yes I am aware of the guest house moving around. I meant the main house per se.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2267 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:I measured the plat and the bathing pavilion is 12 x 44 feet externally. That gives an interior of 10 x 42 subtracting for the 12 inch thick walls. Using the photos, I put together a preliminary plan of what the layout might be. It allows for a men's and women's changing space of 10 x 18 with four rooms of about 4 to 5 x 5 feet each. I have only drawn one bathroom with a small connecting hall between for privacy. Fitting two bathrooms doesn't easily fit given the vent spacing from the photo, and would mean one less changing room each side. Having two is possible, I think. I would have to play around with that and move some vents, I guess. This seems to work well, though.

I'll send RG some drawings based on the photos and some others to see both inside and out of the whole structure.

Hey Kenji,

You're absolutely right. Plastic skylights were unheard of in the 30's. Plastic in general was rare. Bakelite, like the old black telephones, was the very first plastic and that was a little over 100 years ago. LOL! I just thought of the scene in The Graduate when William Daniels tells Dustin Hoffman the future is in plastics. :lol: That was the 60's. He was right, though, and now it's littering the land and oceans. :(
Hey Pahonu,
Thanks for the dimensions of the bath house.
I was looking at the pic with the Women sign posted outside and I was trying to count the stalls on that one side and I think I'm counting 5 there (unless my eyes are messing with me AGAIN :wink: ). I was wondering if one or two of those stalls are actual toilets with the others being change rooms. Also, assuming there were 5 stalls, then a 3ft width would be more accurate with a possible communal sink/mirror section just behind that door to speak for the other approx. 3 feet. I like your theory too of one maybe two small bathroom stalls located in the middle as that lines up nicely with the space between each group of 4 skylights.....still not convinced it was a shared bathroom with a hallway, but you would know better than me. :D The vent locations are an interesting piece of the puzzle with where they are located and how everything fits together. I guess a few curtains might be in there blocking the view inside so that might help keep things a bit more flexible with the layout. What do you think P?
Looking forward to your prelim drawings!

I agree with you and William :wink: :lol: about what plastics are doing to the land and oceans, very sad indeed!
I'm not posting pics yet because Pahonu is still working out some possible scenarios.

I definitely count 8 vents on the back side... 4 sets of 2 with the wall light in the center. On the front side I count 4 vents for sure, but of course there could be more on the mauka end that we can't see. Kenji, I also count at least 5 stalls but I don't think there's a sink behind the door because we can see a latch strike here...

Also, take a look at the pattern of the skylights in this pic. Does it look like there are two sets on the women's side? If so, could the building be long enough to have 4 sets of skylights?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2268 Post by KENJI »

Nice find RG.
Enlarging the pic does show another latch which would make it a minimum 6 stalls.......which then pushes a sink and mirror scenario back into the middle of the structure with either one or two toilets.

I think we are still looking at 2 sets of 4 skylights with a rafter running through the middle of each skylight. It appears Eve cut a corner there! I guess she didn't want to spend the extra on restructuring those particular rafters. Inside the bathhouse was very basic anyways, so I guess it didn't really matter to Eve what it looked like so long as she got the light she was after which she did.
Last edited by KENJI on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2269 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I'm not so sure there are two sets of skylights on the women's side like I mentioned above....if you look at this pic it looks like it's just 4...

And this shot from above looks like there are 8 total...

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2270 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I'm not so sure there are two sets of skylights on the women's side like I mentioned above....if you look at this pic it looks like it's just 4...

Hi RG,
Read my comment above this one....I just added the bit about the skylights. :)

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2271 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I'm not so sure there are two sets of skylights on the women's side like I mentioned above....if you look at this pic it looks like it's just 4...

Hi RG,
Read my comment above this one....I just added the bit about the skylights. :)
Yep, we're on the same page Kenji! :D "Twinning" if you will :wink:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2272 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Here's another pic of the skylights. So based on this pic and comparing it to the one below, it looks like the house side would have 4 vents...

You can see the bottom of a fourth vent here...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2273 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu and I think we now have the bathing pavilion layout completed. Here are some pics & corresponding SketchUps:

From above...

Women's entrance, which is the ocean side...

Men's entrance, which is the mountain/Kalanianaole side...

Back wall, which is next to the property line/rock wall...

Section plane layout view - women's is on the left, men's is on the right, property line/rock wall at the top...

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2274 Post by eagle »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Pahonu and I think we now have the bathing pavilion layout completed. Here are some pics & corresponding SketchUps
Pahonu and RG, these are nothing short of amazing. I truly appreciate the time and effort you have put into this model.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2275 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote:
K Hale wrote:Question. I hope this makes sense: How well does Robin's Nest correlate with the Pahonu floor plan? Are there parts of the sound stage sets that do not line up properly or are impossible given the posted floor plan?
Well, we know that Magnum's guest house is not at all like the boat house. I have the same question about the main house.

I missed these questions, but sorry guys, it's not even close. Nothing about the sets fits with the actual layout of Pahonu. The front door isn't even in the same place, or the stairs, or the living room, or the dining room, or the library, or the den/study... you get the idea. :(

Hawaii84
Captain

#2276 Post by Hawaii84 »

Just hearing of the demolition. I'm sick to my stomach. Can't believe it. :(

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2277 Post by Pahonu »

Hawaii84 wrote:Just hearing of the demolition. I'm sick to my stomach. Can't believe it. :(
I don't think it's an overstatement to say we've all been grieving the loss. We've just had a little more time to process it. :cry:

On a more positive note, I've always liked your choice of avatar photo though. :D

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#2278 Post by erock308 »

Any updates from our on island sleuths? Have they started building anything? Is the guest house still intact?
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2279 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

erock308 wrote:Any updates from our on island sleuths? Have they started building anything? Is the guest house still intact?
Hi erock308,

I saw a post on social media just yesterday that shows the guest house still standing, such as it is. :(

I check for permits just about every day and nothing new on the construction front. As a matter of fact, the Dept. of Planning & Permitting can't even get onto the property to inspect the demolition! :roll:

Guesthouse resident
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2280 Post by Guesthouse resident »

I just hope its basically a near reproduction of the original Anderson estate. The fact the guesthouse is still intact looks to me as a sign the new residence will be of similar construction of the beige stucco and woodgrain eathtones.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GRBk2 ... O78Xzt-T9q