The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2191 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I found something interesting to consider about the basement stairs and sent these thoughts to Kenji & Pahonu. At the 8:42 mark of "The Kona Winds", as TM enters the laundry room you see a wall to our right. I thought he was entering from the garage bay but Kenji pointed out there's a door behind TM so that was incorrect (thanks Kenji!) I thought perhaps the wall here could be the outer wall of the basement stairs, or a few other guesses. Here's the ep... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4udgcr and some screen caps...

Here's TM entering the laundry room and the wall I mentioned....

And here is a shot with the door behind TM....

So, Pahonu took these observations and has changed his floorplan and inserted the basement stairs to reflect these discoveries... he believes TM is actually walking into the laundry room from the pantry. Any thoughts/possibilities/ideas from anyone? :D

Hi RG and Pahonu,

Thanks for the enlarged floor plan and possible stair location going to the basement.
I can read the labels now (pantry, service porch etc.), my eyes say thank-you! :D
Like the new layout too, love the flow Pahonu!!
The pantry location makes sense, laundry makes sense at front with vented window location. I think you're spot on with the stairs and the possible wall surrounding part of it. :D :D The entry from the garage mirrors a similar set up on the workshop side. I can picture that room for receiving deliveries etc. additional storage etc. with access to the basement....I can picture a truck backing into that first garage bay, unloading the goods and wheeling them through the garage doorway and into that receiving room. WELL DONE!
The stairs line up nicely with the demo pic location too.
Also, I agree with TM coming through the pantry into the laundry room.
Last edited by KENJI on Thu May 10, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2192 Post by Sam »

Hi Kenji... I'm a little behind the curve on the new discoveries but wasn't that at the time deemed to be the gate house??

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2193 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:Hi Kenji... I'm a little behind the curve on the new discoveries but wasn't that at the time deemed to be the gate house??
Hi Sam, I'm the one who actually identified the scene in the gate house garage back then... I was pointing out that there was only one garage stall instead of two. That scene is after the scene I'm talking about above. They leave the main house and walk across the grounds to the gate house garage for the scene with the generator.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2194 Post by Sam »

Hi RG... thinking about it would there be a window to the outside from the garage.. the placement of the garage that window would open up to the house..no?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2195 Post by KENJI »

Sam wrote:Hi RG... thinking about it would there be a window to the outside from the garage.. the placement of the garage that window would open up to the house..no?
Hi Sam,
You're missing all the fun!
I'm assuming you are talking about the generator scene and the gatehouse. :D
The back window in the garage opens outside facing the perimeter wall and the highway. I'm sure RG can post a few supporting pics when she a has time.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2196 Post by Sam »

KENJI wrote:
Sam wrote:Hi RG... thinking about it would there be a window to the outside from the garage.. the placement of the garage that window would open up to the house..no?
Hi Sam,
You're missing all the fun!
I'm assuming you are talking about the generator scene and the gatehouse. :D
The back window in the garage opens outside facing the perimeter wall and the highway. I'm sure RG can post a few supporting pics when she a has time.
Hi Kenji.. I'm talking about the window to the left of the doorway in the screen cap the door that TM is exiting.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2197 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:
Hi Kenji.. I'm talking about the window to the left of the doorway in the screen cap the door that TM is exiting.
Hi Sam! Not sure which one you mean so here's both...

In this one the vented window you can barely see to the left is facing the auto court/driveway.

In this one, the white rectangle on the left isn't a window... that's a door and you just can't see the bottom half.

If you watch the scene you'll see. Go to 8:42 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4udgcr

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2198 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Sam wrote:

In this one the vented window you can barely see to the left is facing the auto court/driveway.

In this one, the white rectangle on the left isn't a window... that's a door and you just can't see the bottom half.
Hi RG.. I'm saying if that is the Gatehouse there can't be a window to the left of the doorway.... what am I missing

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2199 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote: Hi RG.. I'm saying if that is the Gatehouse there can't be a window to the left of the doorway.... what am I missing
Those pics are of the laundry room in the main house, not the gate house.

Here is my post from way back when about the gate house garage: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 020#p41354

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2200 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Sam wrote:

If you watch the scene you'll see. Go to 8:42 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4udgcr
Looking at the second pic close-up again....it's interesting to see the two doors in that one doorway.....one opening into the laundry room - TM is opening that door and then you can see the other door opening inwards towards what we now think is the pantry (there is an another door behind that one which you can see in the pic and we think that goes to the kitchen). The partial glass door that TM is opening also has a doggy door so I wonder if Eve used the different doors depending on the time of day or event etc. to contain her dogs etc.. Usually those doggy doors either have a lock or a panel that slides over the opening so that's why it's strange she needs another door there...could be another layer of security at night so no one sneaks in via the doggy door :shock: . I would think the door opening into the pantry is usually closed more often than not because it blocks the door opening into the kitchen.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2201 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote: Looking at the second pic close-up again....it's interesting to see the two doors in that one doorway.....one opening into the laundry room - TM is opening that door and then you can see the other door opening inwards towards what we now think is the pantry (there is an another door behind that one which you can see in the pic and we think that goes to the kitchen). The partial glass door that TM is opening also has a doggy door so I wonder if Eve used the different doors depending on the time of day or event etc. to contain her dogs etc.. Usually those doggy doors either have a lock or a panel that slides over the opening so that's why it's strange she needs another door there...could be another layer of security at night so no one sneaks in via the doggy door :shock: . I would think the door opening into the pantry is usually closed more often than not because it blocks the door opening into the kitchen.
Haha, I saw the doggie door too... good ol' Eve! :D I don't understand why there are two doors either but I bet Pahonu has an architectural explanation?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2202 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
KENJI wrote: Looking at the second pic close-up again....it's interesting to see the two doors in that one doorway.....one opening into the laundry room - TM is opening that door and then you can see the other door opening inwards towards what we now think is the pantry (there is an another door behind that one which you can see in the pic and we think that goes to the kitchen). The partial glass door that TM is opening also has a doggy door so I wonder if Eve used the different doors depending on the time of day or event etc. to contain her dogs etc.. Usually those doggy doors either have a lock or a panel that slides over the opening so that's why it's strange she needs another door there...could be another layer of security at night so no one sneaks in via the doggy door :shock: . I would think the door opening into the pantry is usually closed more often than not because it blocks the door opening into the kitchen.
Haha, I saw the doggie door too... good ol' Eve! :D I don't understand why there are two doors either but I bet Pahonu has an architectural explanation?
It's almost like an interior screen door, minus the screen. I was thinking she had something set up in there for her pets and the glass part of the door let more light in, plus it allowed her to check on them without opening the door. Maybe at night, she had the solid door closed and locked....all guesses. :)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2203 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
It's almost like an interior screen door, minus the screen. I was thinking she had something set up in there for her pets and the glass part of the door let more light in, plus it allowed her to check on them without opening the door. Maybe at night, she had the solid door closed and locked....all guesses. :)
I agree, though. Good guesses. :D

ibemanthony
Ensign

#2204 Post by ibemanthony »

Hey guys!

I've been following along like a kid in a candy store with all the amazing sleuthing going on here. All the more important now that the structure no longer exists.

Anyway, I wanted to throw in my 2 cents here about the laundry room. I can see it all beautifully in my head thanks to the screen caps and diagram, but I'm wondering about two things:

1. The first window is pointing to the auto court/driveway, but it looks as if there is a bunch of stuff stacked on the other side. At first I assumed it was another room, but now I'm pretty certain it's outdoors (more on that in a second). Could it be gardening supplies or something similar?

2. It looks to me like we actually have TWO windows here... Does the diagram need to be adjusted or am I just seeing things? It seems to me that the camera angle and the size of the room would make it impossible for this to be the same first window.

What do the masters think? hehe

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2205 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I thought the same thing but just dismissed it as a different camera angle. After watching the scene again I see there are golf clubs under the "left" window, which is where the washer & dryer are under the window on the right. So, perhaps there's a doorway/opening from the garage bay to the laundry room, and that’s why we can see the other window in the shot.