The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2161 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:Having written all this, I think it should be noted, the only exterior part of all Pahonu's structures not documented with photos remains the rear area service porch and service court. Unless I'm forgetting something, I think it's the only part of the façade I have had to completely guess at. I drew columns and an open porch, but it may be more enclosed, though almost definitely a porch as it is several steps lower than the main floor level.

Sleuths out there... :D

Edit:

I forgot something, the rear of the workshop at the end of the garage wing. I drew a vented window, but the other two sides aren't vented so maybe I'll change that. Maybe it's a door at the back, or is the door through the garage ???

We're sooooo close to nailing down the exterior!
Pahonu wrote:Having written all this, I think it should be noted, the only exterior part of all Pahonu's structures not documented with photos remains the rear area service porch and service court. Unless I'm forgetting something, I think it's the only part of the façade I have had to completely guess at. I drew columns and an open porch, but it may be more enclosed, though almost definitely a porch as it is several steps lower than the main floor level.

Edit:

I forgot something, the rear of the workshop at the end of the garage wing. I drew a vented window, but the other two sides aren't vented so maybe I'll change that. Maybe it's a door at the back, or is the door through the garage ???

Hey Pahonu,

Just a quick one will come back on it later, anyways.....if you go to the drone demo footage you can see the doorway to the workshop is from inside the garage which I think you had in one of your drawings. It's a cleaner nicer look from the outside too. You can also see the window opening on the very end as well confirming more of the newspaper drawings that we've seen....also go glass there. I think I remember a long narrow glass window on the workshop wall facing the garage courtyard from Mad Buck, but I'm a bit rusty....will have a look later for you. Hope that helps! :D

Go to roughly 1:19 mark and you can see the doorway and window.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo3hAxYv3Fk

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2162 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:

Edit:

Edit:

Hey Pahonu,

Just a quick one will come back on it later, anyways.....if you go to the drone demo footage you can see the doorway to the workshop is from inside the garage which I think you had in one of your drawings. It's a cleaner nicer look from the outside too. You can also see the window opening on the very end as well confirming more of the newspaper drawings that we've seen....also go glass there. I think I remember a long narrow glass window on the workshop wall facing the garage courtyard from Mad Buck, but I'm a bit rusty....will have a look later for you. Hope that helps! :D

Go to roughly 1:19 mark and you can see the doorway and window.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo3hAxYv3Fk
Thanks, it does!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2163 Post by KENJI »

For anyone who's interested......here is the Mad Buck Gibson episode that shows that narrow window on the workshop wall facing the garage courtyard......
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ppgl4
Go to the 37:19 mark and you can spot it.
I find it strange that is a long narrow window while the other two are more square....visually it looks off, but maybe they did it to fit more shelving in the workshop. What are your thoughts Pahonu?

*****EDIT/UPDATE
After some back and forth with Pahonu and RG it appears this window is on the end of the work shop/tool shed and not on the side.....a little bit of tv trickery with a wide angle shot had me fooled. Anyways, it's still worth a look as we rarely see over in that corner of the estate. :)

Off topic if you go to around the 17:38 and 33:33 marks in this episode you can see the guesthouse bathroom in more detail (at least one version of it) and of course, Buck's masterpiece! :wink:

While we have this episode locked and loaded :wink: ..... if you go to around the 43:30 mark you can see something that Pahonu pointed out a looong time ago....the stairs going up are straight in this episode. If you look at some other episodes you will spot a small flat or dog leg section where the kitchen floor meets the stairs (just a few steps up from where the couch is located). You really spot it when you look at the trim work going up the stairs. I'll post this in The Guest House thread too. :)
Last edited by KENJI on Fri May 11, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2164 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:I thought you, Kenji the gardener, might have considered the possibility of a rear walled garden. :D You're so right about the views of Rabbit Island before the yard became overgrown. The fountain possibility is certainly a puzzle. Several things from the architectural drawings changed during construction, but that fountain would have been beautiful. Perhaps you're right and it was removed like the tennis court... or it was Mad Buck Gibson's fault! :wink: Good point about the elevator accessing both front and rear courtyards with table, etc... from the basement. Also, about deliveries taken from the rear to the kitchen or basement.

What was your other idea about the basement stairs? Brainstorming never hurts!
Hi Pahonu,

Sorry for the delay and the long winded response! :shock:
Kenji the gardener does see a garden in the walled section/rear courtyard, but closer to the front courtyard design :) .....plants being located in the corners, plus I would've hoped the one large inset/alcove in front of the bathhouse was full of plants to hide that structure.....note: the front courtyard also had :( an inset/alcove that was once a flower bed too...I think they had palms in the sketch (I'll need to go back and look to verify). Also, I would've hoped the service wing and window wells would've been camouflaged to softened that view a bit more. We can see in a few pics that there appeared to be some sort of old garden bed with a few plants still against the kitchen wall so I think it's fair to say that was probably an original bed. One additional thought, the wall facing the ocean could've had a garden bed beside it as the height was roughly 5ft tall so they could've continued the planting from the back corner down the whole length towards the exit point facing the ocean. It would've softened the wall and you wouldn't have lost any view due to the height of the courtyard wall. I'm thinking some large pots between the numerous door openings would've been the best options for softening the house portion. Always love a water feature, but no idea if there was one back there. Honestly, I wish the backyard was bigger so they could've pulled off a real good size and true walled garden with an elaborate water feature, I feel this one was tight for space so filling it up too much with plants would've have left little room for a decent size patch of grass in the middle to entertain on. I love the whole property, the driveway etc., but always thought the backyard should've been larger (not balanced enough- most of the land is out front). In a perfect world, if the Walls had purchased at least the lot behind them they could've created a horseshoe driveway.......gatehouse to the breezeway, out back to garage courtyard and then out via the neighbor's driveway. Deliveries would've come in and out of the neighbor's gate and it would've also created a larger place out back for guests to park when parties were going on, leaving the main drive out front free and clear of vehicles etc.. The additional space would've also allowed for the walled garden to have been a real show stopper. My guess, I think is was a beautiful, but simple layout with some strategic planting to allow for entertaining as well. The ocean view out to Rabbit Island was probably the estate's water feature :wink: What do you picture back there?

Getting to the basement stairs......my very brief idea lasted only a second in my head before it was riddled with my own bullets.....it's dead P! :lol: Taking a second look at the stairwell in RG's demo pic, I'm now thinking the basement stairs (assuming it's a stairwell, it sure looks that way) were in the garage wing under the two rooms right next to the garage bay, closest to the house (I can't read the titles you have for them-sorry)......so at the end of that section, right beside the small gate going into the service courtyard there may have been an opening to a long stairwell going straight down to the basement with the entry to the basement on the right. You have to visualize where things were located before the wrecking ball, but the general location seems to fit, plus the location is perfect for a delivery too. What do you think? Feel free to poke holes in anything above. It's fun piecing things together with RG, Sam and yourself. :D I'm trying to dig up a pic to see if there is any visual proof, but I'm not seeing any in my collection. How about you guys and gal :wink: ? :D

Do you think the chickens were located in the service courtyard or maybe a small kitchen garden was located in there or something else? The location is great for kitchen staff to grab what they need, but the smell and noise might've been an issue for the owners and their guests. Maybe the chickens were closer to the gatehouse. Any thoughts? :)

Hey Kenji,

I agree the rear yard seems as though it should have been elaborately planted. We might never know. :( The rear courtyard is actually quite bit larger than the front one, so even screening the bath house and kitchen walls with foliage would leave lots of space. It's funny that you brought up how close the home is to one end of the property. I puzzled about that for years, toying with the idea that the property had once been bigger, then parts sold off. Thanks to RG, we now know the property was actually assembled from existing built-up lots, and that I think, explains why the main house was sited there. If you remember, the plats of the property showed two seawalls already existed at each end of the current property, but as separate properties. The land between them was some kind of drainage from the old road cutting through. When the property was combined and the two seawalls connected, an easement was included to drain the new highway, and it exits by the gate to the beach. The architect, rightly I think, sited the main house at the highest point with the best views on the property. That pushed it toward one side, but there is plenty of space in the motor court to turn around an park, etc...

As I think about it, I've visited another large beachfront property arranged similarly. Check out the Adamson House in Malibu CA and you will see a similar, though reversed arrangement on the property. The main house was sited on a rise at one end of the property with a drive winding across the property from the other side. There is even a building at the front gate for the caretaker. Also, there's a much smaller boat house, actual guest house, slat house, and pool house like the bath house at Pahonu. It was used for both the beach and the saltwater heated pool. The museum on the property (G) was the guest house.

Check it out:

http://wodcityofangels.com/images/Chang ... aquero.png
Hi P,
I agree with you on the points of where the house was located.....that was the best spot for views etc., highest ground and like you said the easement for the drainage pipe was also key in limiting the options....and the road too, but that did get revised at some point (don't have an exact timeline handy). Davis made the right call, love everything about the layout...I just love that long sweeping driveway, just wish in a perfect world there was a bit more land to the back for the things I had mentioned. :wink: I'm sure they had no problems with parking and turning around etc., just thought it would've been a bit better with a second exit that's all....call it tweaking things. The Crane parcel (where the main house once stood) was owned by Charles S. Crane (thanks RG) and it was nicknamed Pahonu, so that was the original Pahonu which grew in size when Mrs. Wall started buying up the surrounding parcels. I just found this on Mr. Crane....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Crane
It's fitting that Crane was a politician, Eve was a politician and if the Obama theory is correct you would have the grand daddy of them all living there.
Getting back to the parcels of land.....I remember the Shriners having to do the same thing that Mrs. Wall did to make their parcel as large as it is today...lots of little lots back then, helps paint a picture of what it once looked liked.

Thanks for the Adamson link! I'll enjoy that one this evening!!! :D You might get a few more questions coming your way though!! :wink:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2165 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:As for the basement stairs, that's precisely where I think they are located. That area is labeled as a pantry and the laundry in my model. I'm toying with placing the stair in the plans, then into the model. Maybe I'll send you a pic of my idea before changing the model?

I also realized that the Adamson house, mentioned above, had a yard for animals like Pahonu did originally. Both properties were, initially at least, a bit isolated from nearby towns, and fresh eggs, etc... would have been possible that way. Remember the photo from Mad Buck Gibson that JJ posted a few years ago with a chicken in the rear yard. :D
Hi again Pahonu,

Great to hear we are on the same page with the stairs! :D Thanks for the titles too (pantry and laundry)!!
Would love to see a pic, but post it here so RG, Sam and the gang can see too. We might as well have the whole "board" at the meeting :wink: :lol: I'm still trying to figure out what the stairwell looked like from above ground......toying with the idea that it may have had a cellar door type entry or maybe it was concealed in the floor of that back room (more difficult for deliveries etc. though)....it also could've been your standard stairwell that was open to the garage courtyard. I'm trying to imagine what the norm would've been back in 1930 while taking the design style into consideration as well. You know the style the best....What do you think?

Interesting the Adamson house had animals too! :) We know at one time the Walls would come by boat to Pahonu and the old roads into Honolulu weren't the greatest back then, so having some poultry etc. on location made sense.
Yes, I like the hints in Mad Buck too....especially the fountain. :D
Go to 36:03 for the chicken/animal shot......don't blink, it's quick.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2166 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote: JJ,

Have you seen the elevations she posted? There were three different articles I believe, including an early architectural rendering from before construction.

Good eye, that looks like a statue or small planting bed for what might become a large tree in the middle of the roundabout.
They're located here :D http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... start=1620

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2167 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote: Hi P,
I agree with you on the points of where the house was located.....that was the best spot for views etc., highest ground and like you said the easement for the drainage pipe was also key in limiting the options....and the road too, but that did get revised at some point (don't have an exact timeline handy). Davis made the right call, love everything about the layout...I just love that long sweeping driveway, just wish in a perfect world there was a bit more land to the back for the things I had mentioned. :wink: I'm sure they had no problems with parking and turning around etc., just thought it would've been a bit better with a second exit that's all....call it tweaking things. The Crane parcel (where the main house once stood) was owned by Charles S. Crane (thanks RG) and it was nicknamed Pahonu, so that was the original Pahonu which grew in size when Mrs. Wall started buying up the surrounding parcels. I just found this on Mr. Crane....
It's fitting that Crane was a politician, Eve was a politician and if the Obama theory is correct you would have the grand daddy of them all living there.
Getting back to the parcels of land.....I remember the Shriners having to do the same thing that Mrs. Wall did to make their parcel as large as it is today...lots of little lots back then, helps paint a picture of what it once looked liked.
For fun, here's the article about Julia acquiring the Crane property, which I posted before...

Honolulu Advertiser, May 7, 1930

And thanks Kenji for mentioning again that Pahonu was Pahonu pre-Julia... I believe the land was owned by someone name Pahanua... here's a link to what I found in the past: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 17f#p49684

Anyway, I remembered reading a couple articles about outings at the property before Julia acquired the lots, so I just dug one up...

Honolulu Advertiser, July 14, 1929

and another one...

Honolulu Advertiser, January 22, 1927

Edit, just found another one... this is so fun I could post old newspaper articles all day :D

Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 11, 1927

Pahonu

#2168 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:For anyone who's interested......here is the Mad Buck Gibson episode that shows that narrow window on the workshop wall facing the garage courtyard......
I find it strange that is a long narrow window while the other two are more square....visually it looks off, but maybe they did it to fit more shelving in the workshop. What are your thoughts Pahonu?

Off topic if you go to around the 17:38 and 33:33 marks in this episode you can see the guesthouse bathroom in more detail (at least one version of it) and of course, Buck's masterpiece! :wink:

While we have this episode locked and loaded :wink: ..... if you go to around the 43:30 mark you can see something that Pahonu pointed out a looong time ago....the stairs going up are straight in this episode. If you look at some other episodes you will spot a small flat or dog leg section where the kitchen floor meets the stairs (just a few steps up from where the couch is located). You really spot it when you look at the trim work going up the stairs. I'll post this in The Guest House thread too. :)
Hey Kenji,

I'm pretty sure the window at the 37:19 mark is on the end wall of the tool shed, under the eave, not the side facing the rear motor court, which would be on the shed gable wall. Have we seen the one facing the rear? I'm not sure about it's narrowness either. We are viewing it from a pretty large angle and, with deep set windows in the the thick walls, it can be deceiving how square or rectangular it is. I've been fooled in this exact way more than once over the years while making my model. Then a new picture is found from straight on and the shape becomes obvious.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2169 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
KENJI wrote: Hi P,
For fun, here's the article about Julia acquiring the Crane property, which I posted before...

Honolulu Advertiser, May 7, 1930

And thanks Kenji for mentioning again that Pahonu was Pahonu pre-Julia... I believe the land was owned by someone name Pahanua... here's a link to what I found in the past: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 17f#p49684

Anyway, I remembered reading a couple articles about outings at the property before Julia acquired the lots, so I just dug one up...

Honolulu Advertiser, July 14, 1929

and another one...

Honolulu Advertiser, January 22, 1927

Edit, just found another one... this is so fun I could post old newspaper articles all day :D

Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 11, 1927

Thanks for adding your great finds RG...easier when everything is together. Love the luau article too! :D

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2170 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:For anyone who's interested......here is the Mad Buck Gibson episode that shows that narrow window on the workshop wall facing the garage courtyard......

Hey Kenji,

I'm pretty sure the window at the 37:19 mark is on the end wall of the tool shed, under the eave, not the side facing the rear motor court, which would be on the shed gable wall. Have we seen the one facing the rear? I'm not sure about it's narrowness either. We are viewing it from a pretty large angle and, with deep set windows in the the thick walls, it can be deceiving how square or rectangular it is. I've been fooled in this exact way more than once over the years while making my model. Then a new picture is found from straight on and the shape becomes obvious.
Hi Pahonu,

I'll have another looked and see if my eyes are playing tricks on me...report back later. :wink: :D

Pahonu

#2171 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:As for the basement stairs, that's precisely where I think they are located. That area is labeled as a pantry and the laundry in my model. I'm toying with placing the stair in the plans, then into the model. Maybe I'll send you a pic of my idea before changing the model?

I also realized that the Adamson house, mentioned above, had a yard for animals like Pahonu did originally. Both properties were, initially at least, a bit isolated from nearby towns, and fresh eggs, etc... would have been possible that way. Remember the photo from Mad Buck Gibson that JJ posted a few years ago with a chicken in the rear yard. :D
Hi again Pahonu,

Great to hear we are on the same page with the stairs! :D Thanks for the titles too (pantry and laundry)!!
Would love to see a pic, but post it here so RG, Sam and the gang can see too. We might as well have the whole "board" at the meeting :wink: :lol: I'm still trying to figure out what the stairwell looked like from above ground......toying with the idea that it may have had a cellar door type entry or maybe it was concealed in the floor of that back room (more difficult for deliveries etc. though)....it also could've been your standard stairwell that was open to the garage courtyard. I'm trying to imagine what the norm would've been back in 1930 while taking the design style into consideration as well. You know the style the best....What do you think?

Interesting the Adamson house had animals too! :) We know at one time the Walls would come by boat to Pahonu and the old roads into Honolulu weren't the greatest back then, so having some poultry etc. on location made sense.
Yes, I like the hints in Mad Buck too....especially the fountain. :D
Go to 36:03 for the chicken/animal shot......don't blink, it's quick.

I'm guessing the stairs are not in a bulkhead door. Those are steep and an inexpensive way to access a basement externally. I've never seen one on a home of this size. Usually, some kind of external stair descends into a small open area with a door into the basement. I'm thinking at Pahonu, the stair might have been accessed from the open air garage bay nearest the house. Simply a door way with a straight run down to the basement, parallel to kitchen wing itself. Maybe the top of the stairs had a door, maybe it was at the bottom, or both? Here's an example of what I'm talking about externally:

https://basement-design.info/exterior-b ... irs-drain/

I'm just leaning toward them being tucked under the garage wing roof which is open anyway, for deliveries and the like.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2172 Post by KENJI »

Hi P,
Yes, that's what I was thinking for a standard open stairwell too (thanks for the link). I like your idea of the opening being tucked under the garage wing roof......I was trying to spot some sort of opening in the aerials pics we have, but nothing was coming up and that would explain the reason why. I would say one door at the bottom for sure....the one at the top would also look more visually appealing, but I'm thinking it's just one at the bottom....who knows for sure. I know what you are talking about with the stairs being accessed from the open air garage bay closest to the house as I was thinking the same thing, but in the laundry and pantry area, making those two rooms either smaller which doesn't make sense or they go underneath the floor so the room sizes are maximized. Based on the demo pic we keep referring to, I see the stairs lining up under those rooms and not the first garage bay closest to the house...maybe it's my eyes....you take another look.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2173 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:

Hey Kenji,

Hey P,
I took a look again and my eyes might be playing a trick or two, but I'm still seeing a long narrow window on the side of the tool shed/workshop wall facing in the back direction of the service yard (2) and the motor court....Magnum and Joan appear to be just outside the motor court wall, but in line enough with the wall opening into the motor court to see Buck sneaking down the breezeway. You have a window on that side in your floor plan. I agree angles can play tricks on us and the window might more square, but that window has to be on the side facing the back of the place and the property behind Pahonu, that or it's time for me to get glasses :shock: :lol: Maybe our wires are crossed and we are explaining the same thing differently. :?
Have another look at that scene from the way I'm describing it and see if it works for you, if not, please describe what you are seeing and maybe I'll see what you are seeing :D ....I don't know about you, but my eyes are starting to hurt. :wink:

Pahonu

#2174 Post by Pahonu »

I just watched it again too. I stopped it at 37:21 and to the right of her head you can see the tile roof of the garage end gable and the shed roof of the workshop attached perpendicular to it. It's sloping down and to the left continuing behind her down to just over that window. The back side of the work shop would be a mirror of the front side which is a trapezoid shaped wall with the window in it. In that shot the roof is extending low over the window.

Also, if they were standing to the right of the rear window, they would be in front of the last garage bay. Why would the drying lines and all those plants be in front of the garage bay? Plus, there's a wall there as well.

My eyes are starting to hurt too. :D

I PM'd you so I can send you a pic from the model and show you the angle I think it is.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2175 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:I just watched it again too. I stopped it at 37:21 and to the right of her head you can see the tile roof of the garage end gable and the shed roof of the workshop attached perpendicular to it. It's sloping down and to the left continuing behind her down to just over that window. The back side of the work shop would be a mirror of the front side which is a trapezoid shaped wall with the window in it. In that shot the roof is extending low over the window.

Also, if they were standing to the right of the rear window, they would be in front of the last garage bay. Why would the drying lines and all those plants be in front of the garage bay? Plus, there's a wall there as well.

My eyes are starting to hurt too. :D

I PM'd you so I can send you a pic from the model and show you the angle I think it is.
Hi again Pahonu....okay, sooo....who's on first........ :wink:
I think we are talking about the same thing, but the wiring is messed up in the delivery....I see the roof and window (whew)....in reality for that shot they are probably close to being square in line with that window, but far enough back to line up with the wall gate opening and still see the breezeway. Trying to explain it from that scene and the angle they have going on, it's easier to say the window is to the left of them (or they are right of the window).....I then said they were outside the motor court wall which puts them in the other service yard you have labelled in your layout which in turn puts them on the correct side with the plants and drying lines......I hope this makes sense Abbott :wink: :lol: If it does, (please, please) :) then that window is facing the back of the property towards the house and driveway behind Pahonu. You have the window in your plan so I know we are talking about the same thing. :wink: Feel free to poke holes in it.....I'll take some Tylenol, you better too. :lol:
I'll contact you a little later on.
Kind regards,
Costello :D