The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#181 Post by Pahonu »

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but I am not new to being intrigued by this estate. In fact, I began sketching the estate way back when the show was still on the air in the 80's! In the last couple of years I have toyed on and off with creating AutoCAD drawings of the plans and elevations for the home. It is surprising how much can be gleaned by watching closely and sketching out notes on the details. Lately, with the help of this forum, I began creating a 3-D model using Google Sketchup. It has gone far better than I imagined. Even my wife who thinks this is all kind of dorky was impressed by the model. I am hoping to post it in the near future when I am satisfied I have done all that I can. I also need to figure out how to get my model into the Google library where you all can see it.

The one area I am struggling with is the rear of the house. All other views were surprisingly easy to find pictures of. Even much of the interiors were available from many of the Hawaii Five-O pictures that were posted. Without any rear views, however, I have had to get creative. If I remember correctly, two episodes of Magnum PI have VERY brief glimpses of the rear of the home. Skin Deep and Distant Relative (the one with Rick's sister) both have scenes at the beginning that show this. Even the aerial photos don't help because there is so much foliage.

I am wondering if any of you who have posted pictures before could possibly help me with this. I don't have DVD's of the series and the local station here in Los Angeles has recently quit running both Magnum and Five-O (at the same time)! By the way, I believe the Five-O episode Stranger in His Grave shows the estate and the interior of what is the northeast corner of the first floor.

This is a really interesting forum.

Thanks all.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#182 Post by SelleckLover »

Welcome to the boards, Pahonu! I think you need the input of our resident awesome cartographer, rubber chicken. Maybe rc will have some input for you in the near future. :D

Pahonu

#183 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks SelleckLover,

Is Rubber Chicken the member who has posted all the pictures? Such help would be great. Oddly, I have much experience using AutoCAD and other programs now including Sketchup, but I am not a real web user. I have never been a contributor to a forum, and don't know how to do a lot of the basics like upload photos and create links. Any help would be appreciated. It might also take me some time to figure out how to post and link to Sketchup's library.

I am Magnum fan and even ran into Tom Selleck at Disney Sudios in Burbank years ago, but mostly I appreciate the architecture of the home. I am a big fan of the Spanish Colonial Revival style which this home seems to be a variant of, and given its age, fits into that styles era of popularity (20's and 30's). Here in Southern California, I am familiar with and have visited many landmarks of the style including the Adamson House in Malibu and the Casa Del Herrero in Montecito. Sadly I have never been to Hawaii, though it seems from the posts that the home is not accessable. :(

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#184 Post by J.J. Walters »

Welcome Pahonu!

Your 3D model of the main house of Robin's Nest sounds great! Can't wait to check it out! :)
Pahonu wrote:I also need to figure out how to get my model into the Google library where you all can see it.
From the main page of the Google 3D Warehouse (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/) click the 'Upload' button on the upper-right hand side. Click the 'Browse' button and navigate to your Sketchup file, fill in the required fields, then click the 'Upload' button at the bottom. That's all there is to it. Make sure you check the "Google Earth Ready" checkbox so you have a chance of having your recreation added to the 3D Buildings layer on Google Earth! Go here for more info on that.

Do you mind if I use the file and image here at Magnum Mania? It would make for a fine addition to the site. Full credit will be given, of course. I don't even have to look at it before asking, because I can just feel that it is of high quality. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu

#185 Post by Pahonu »

James,

Wow, thanks for all the information. The model is not completed, but I can certainly do that when it is. I would estimate it is 75-80% finished. For example, the main house just has openings where the doors and windows should be, but the massing and the colors and textures such as the tile roof are all done. I have even modeled the grounds including the seawall and beach (no tidal pool walls yet), the perimeter wall and drive. I have not done the gatehouse, tennis court, or boathouse yet, though their position is indicated on the property. I also have had to leave much of the rear of the main house unfinished or guess as to what it might look like. That is why I originally posted.

I would have no problem allowing you to use it, but I would like it to be closer to being finished for that. I also don't think I should upload it to the Google Warehouse until it is essentially finished. I don't think it will be eligible for the GoogleEarth project because I did not use photo texturing. I did it all maually. What do you think? Is there a way I could send you the file to get your feedback while am still working on it? Again, I am not too savvy on web protocols.

Thanks again

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#186 Post by rubber chicken »

I too am fascinated by the rear of "Robin's Nest", it has a definite forbidden fruit appeal to it. :)

I've made a zip file (2MB - 23 pictures) containing most of the screenshots I have of the area.

Here's the best shots...

Skin Deep (1.6)

Distant Relative (4.4)

Pahonu

#187 Post by Pahonu »

Rubber Chicken,

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. It will probably take me a little while to incorporate these images into my model. I already see many mistakes I made with my creative (and apparently less than accurate memory) approach to the rear of the estate. These images already provide me with much more information than I could recollect.

On a positive note, today I began to create the gatehouse in 3-D which was previously just shown in plan on my model. Maybe I have more to do than I thought.

Thanks again Rubber Chicken

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#188 Post by Styles Bitchley »

This sounds like an awesome project! Can't wait to see the results.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#189 Post by J.J. Walters »

Pahonu wrote:I would have no problem allowing you to use it, but I would like it to be closer to being finished for that. I also don't think I should upload it to the Google Warehouse until it is essentially finished. I don't think it will be eligible for the GoogleEarth project because I did not use photo texturing. I did it all maually. What do you think? Is there a way I could send you the file to get your feedback while am still working on it? Again, I am not too savvy on web protocols.
Cool, thanks Pahonu! And yes, I wouldn't use it until you are finished. In the meantime, I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. You can send it to me at jjwalters@magnum-mania.com.

I didn't realize you were doing ALL of the buildings on the estate! That's awesome! :)

rubber chicken, thanks for posting the pictures of the rear (south) side of the main house! Love that little round balcony in the rear, never noticed that before. A foliage view, to go along with the ocean and lawn views. :)

Jaybird
Admiral

#190 Post by Jaybird »

Can't wait. I am doing the Moloka'i Hoe outrigger canoe race on 10/11 and hanging around Oahu for a few days afterwards. Tues I have an OC1 (one man outrigger) that I am picking up in Kailua and, weather permitting, paddling down to the estate. I plan on swimming in the tidal pool and snooping around, soaking up the vibes. I can already feel the presence......... I'll post a report and maybe a few pics.

Hint...if you plan on going to Hawaii, leave and return midweek. The ticket prices double for Sat/Sun flights.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#191 Post by J.J. Walters »

Go get 'em Jaybird! :)

Pahonu, your 3D model looks GREAT so far! Very nicely done!

:)

Styles Bitchley

#192 Post by Styles Bitchley »

James J. Walters wrote:Go get 'em Jaybird! :)

Pahonu, your 3D model looks GREAT so far! Very nicely done!

:)
This is sooo cool! Can't wait to access it in 3D.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#193 Post by N1095A »

The wall looks different where TM sat in "Mac's Back".
Last edited by N1095A on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#194 Post by golfmobile »

Mike,

When was that picture taken???? When we were there last September, none of that bench was showing, so I guess it is now all under sand (however, I didn't realize it had ever been there, as I thought he was sitting on the wall in that scene -- screen shot, please?)

golf (from Maui)
"Portside, buddy."

Styles Bitchley

#195 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yep. It's the wall. It looks like the beach is losing sand rather than gaining it.

That slab of concrete in N1095A's photo must be part of the foundation for the wall.

- J.Q.H.