Magnum's Al's muffler caps

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#16 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've never noticed the Holmes cap, but I have noticed the SC cap on his hat rack. Do you remember what season it was where he had the crooked patch?

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#17 Post by N1095A »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I've never noticed the Holmes cap, but I have noticed the SC cap on his hat rack. Do you remember what season it was where he had the crooked patch?
"Squeeze Play" 4:7. I thought it significant because I'd never seen the patch being crooked before.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by only looking »

Hey I noticed that ep. with the slanted patch too...sorry can't remember either. I noticed that there are at least 2 versions of the Al's cap also. Look at the stripe with the TIGERS, one is thicker than the other, has slightle different fonts, especially noticable in the letter G. The sherlock holmes was worn by someone, but I can't remember if it was Magnum or not, and of course there is also the grayish looking painters cap that is on there as well, 3 tigers cap, 1 being an away hat. I have been planning on some time on making the hat rack and all the hats, I tracked down the EXACT type of hangers that are on the hat rack,..brass with white porecalin knobs. but am still figuring out the dimmensions of the actual hat rack. The only time it's empty is in "Infinity and jelly doughnuts". I believe its a mahagony finish...not sure though.The only hat that would be next to impossible to find would be the cap with the "GET WET" logo.Never ever seen one.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#19 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think we had a list of all of TM's hats one time. I'm not sure if it was in the message boards or on the front page. I think it would be neat to eventually own all of his hats.

N1095A

#20 Post by N1095A »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I think we had a list of all of TM's hats one time. I'm not sure if it was in the message boards or on the front page. I think it would be neat to eventually own all of his hats.
VM02 cap:
Detroit Tigers home cap (white D):
Detroit Tigers away cap (Orange D with white outline):
ImageWorn only once in "Squeeze Play" 4:7, but seen on the hat rack in many episodes.
Al's Automotive Tigers cap:
Camo SEAL cap:
Red USC cap:
Image Only worn once, in "Squeeze Play" 4:7, but seen on the hat rack in nearly every episode.
Get Wet cap:
Gray and or blue cap:
Sherlock Holmes hat:
Image I don't think TM ever wore this one, but it is seen on the hat rack often.
White cap:
I may have missed a couple, but with all these, anyone would have an impressive collection.

I can't remember the episode, but once I spotted the VM02 cap on the hat rack as TM walked past, wearing the VM02 cap.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Miss Q »

Season 8 he wears a white painters cap
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum's Al's muffler caps

#22 Post by perfectlykevin »

only looking wrote:Debating on making a dozen Al's muffler caps like Magnuum wore on the show and "The Chinesse Typewriter". They would be the Taller 4" trucker hats with the 5 panels,red foam fronts and white mesh backs, plastic tab closure in back...just like in the series. I'm seeing how many people would be interested. The price depending on how many I make would be $25 -$30 that wold include shipping, maybe cheaper...have to figure number of hats, patches made, and shipping. Would have a prototype picture before I took on sales. I had a PPD cap made (from the Jesse Stone movies) Which looks AWESOME and It cost me $30.00. So you can see the number of hats will dictate how much of a deal I can get on the hats. :D
Any chance on just getting a couple of pathces? I have a hat in mind that the lower profile style.

Thanks!
Kev

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by only looking »

Sorry but I only made up like 8 or 9 patches and they are all on the hats, I'm posting pictures probably Sunday. It's still not 100% the way I wanted, but it's like the 5 or 6 revision I've had done....she just can't get it as close as I'd like..so I had to settle. The border isn't as tall or wide as I'd like, and the word Tigers isn't as big (letter size) as I'd want. It's the patch from the earlier episodes and the chinesse typewriter. The band is smaller in the middle. It turned out alright I guess. I've had more headaches with this project so for now on I'll let the professionals do it and buy from them,,,,I just don't have any luck other than bad with these types of projects...as Charlie Brown would say...GOOD GRIEF :?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#24 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I know how you feel. When I had my patch made it turned out smaller than I thought it would be. It is still an Al's Muffler hat though so I can't complain too much.

N1095A

#25 Post by N1095A »

can you guys post a couple of pictures? I'd love to see them.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by perfectlykevin »

only looking wrote:Sorry but I only made up like 8 or 9 patches and they are all on the hats, I'm posting pictures probably Sunday. It's still not 100% the way I wanted, but it's like the 5 or 6 revision I've had done....she just can't get it as close as I'd like..so I had to settle. The border isn't as tall or wide as I'd like, and the word Tigers isn't as big (letter size) as I'd want. It's the patch from the earlier episodes and the chinesse typewriter. The band is smaller in the middle. It turned out alright I guess. I've had more headaches with this project so for now on I'll let the professionals do it and buy from them,,,,I just don't have any luck other than bad with these types of projects...as Charlie Brown would say...GOOD GRIEF :?
It must be frustrating to get them exactly the way you want, but sounds like you have more patience than me. :) Love to see a pic or two, I could always transfer the patch to another cap I suppose vs having my own patch made. :)

Thanks for your effort on the project too. True dedication to the MPI cause. 8)

Kev

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#27 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I will try to post some pictures when I get a chance. I will also try to post my camo SEAL hat.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

Al's Auto Hat

#28 Post by only looking »

Well, here it is guys. I took the look of the hat from the Season 1 episode called "Adelaide". It's the original version from "The Chinese Typewriter" due to the looks of the "G" in TIGERS. Then in Season 3, in the episode "The Eigth Part of the Villiage", you can see the red band is bigger and the lettering on tigers is also different. Like I said, I used the look, unfortunately, wasn't able to obtain 100% accuracy due to incompetancy on the patch maker. Also if you look the patch is sewn on slightly crooked. Same place--different person. Looks like incompetancy was contagious. The other patches on the other hats were attached by using patch attach-a fabric glue and so far they're staying stuck. The foam panels tend to slightly pull in when sewn on. There are still a few things I do like about my patch-I guess it's close enough. Not really :( But I settled!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#29 Post by SelleckLover »

only looking...your patch and hat look great! No one would ever guess that it wasn't accurate, including me! :D

layne
Vice Admiral

#30 Post by layne »

Since we're talking about MPI hats, just thought I would throw this in here. Craig's list has a Tiger's hat signed by Tom Selleck for sale.

http://denver.craigslist.org/clt/956807354.html