Your Magnum Experience

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#16 Post by SelleckLover »

^5 eeyore! I was 29 in 1980!

eeyore
Admiral

#17 Post by eeyore »

What a relief to have another lady here my age! :) {hug}

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Steve »

I was 26 myself in 1980......we boomers still have a bit kick in us left, and that's after surviving the disco era!

Steve
Chicago

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#19 Post by SelleckLover »

(((((((((((((((eeyore!))))))))))))) :D

mathewj
Lieutenant

#20 Post by mathewj »

Hmm...I'm a little younger!

I was 2 in 1980 - but remember seeing the opening sequence and hearing that unforgetable theme and being taken by it even back then.

I guess it must have been the last few seasons which would have been the mid-80s or even later here in Australia.

I was however, never allowed to watch the show. So I guess I'm trying to get my own back by indulging in the previously 'forbidden' delights of the show that I so desperately wanted to watch back them.

Thats my experience - and I'm still loving it.

maggiepoole
Captain

#21 Post by maggiepoole »

SelleckLover wrote: I have thoroughly enjoyed whatever project he took on, or as my husband Jim says, I'd probably pay money to watch him read the phone book. (Yeah, I would!!!!) :D :D
My sis and I were driving in the car the other day trying to find some place with the GPS. We thought of a brilliant idea to have TS be the voice of our GPS. Just think of the marketing possibilities! "Turn left at the next road darling". Of course I would be drinking my OJ in the car too. :wink:

Magnum was one of my favorite TV shows growing up. Thanks to DVD, get to relive it all over again! How could I forget how awesome this show is! Memories Are Forever sure does leave an indelible impression on a 13 year old girl. *sigh* Yep, had the Magnum PI poster up in the room too. What a lasting testament that watching the show over 20 years later, I still laugh, cry, and love Magnum PI! Oh yeah, and TS still has the same affect on me.
Trying to reach my full snail potential.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#22 Post by Shermy »

maggiepoole wrote:My sis and I were driving in the car the other day trying to find some place with the GPS. We thought of a brilliant idea to have TS be the voice of our GPS. Just think of the marketing possibilities!
If the GPS would periodically launch into life lessons featuring eccentric relatives, childhood remembrances, or long-forgotten athletes, that would be one of the greatest inventions ever. :lol:

MagnumPI_Cat
Commander

#23 Post by MagnumPI_Cat »

Reading all these stories have made me burst into fits of laughter. :lol:

Right. I wasn't even born when Magnum started airing, and I don't even know when it was aired in Australia. It all started when my mum brought home season 2 along with Kimba the White Lion. I instantly went and watched Kimba, as I had no idea of the brilliance of the Magnum dvds. I decided to watch an episode, and then watched another episode, and I was hooked. It took me up to Memories are forever to realise that Tom Selleck was one of the most handsome men I have ever seen.

My teachers at school have been rather irritated (I think) after I started to write Magnum, P.I. and Tom Selleck repetedly all over my books. Not to mention the drawings of the 308s in the back. I'm still waiting for the good old hold up of the book and scold from the teachers. From now on I shall draw the back of the Ferrari when a teacher speaks to the class. Everyone in my classes think I'm weird, but they don't know what they are missing.
Out of my way before I run you down and enjoy it! - Thomas Magnum, Tropical Madness, season 2.

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by Jeffrey »

Watching The A-Team season 3, and I was out of episodes, and as an extra i recived a dvd with a Magnum, Miami Vice and Knight Rider episode. The only thing i did know about Magnum, that he had a Ferarri 308 GTS and a mustage.

I started to watch the Magnum season 3 episode 'Ki'i's Don't Lie'. A week from watching that ep, i bought Magnum, P.I. season 1 and became a fan of the show. It was great, al those action scene's, Higgins VS Magnum witch is always funny, and of course the friendship with Rick and T.C.

This all hapen't not so long ago. I'm from 1992...
:lol:
Hope the English of this post is good. If it isn't, sorry. :wink:
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by MPS »

I was 26 in 1980, so was able to watch Magnum from the beginning. It wasn’t until I was expecting my third child in 1987 that the addiction truly took hold. MPI was in re-runs every night in LA at 8:00. Being exhausted and crabby, I would retreat to the bedroom to watch the show. I must have watched 5 nights a week for 6 months. My two daughters, who were 5 and 6 at the time, became hooked as well. Their Cabbage Patch dolls were great friends with TM, constantly flying back and forth to Hawaii to visit.
20 years later (and 3000 miles apart) the same two daughters happened upon MPI and started watching again. Now the whole family is purchasing the DVDs and quite happy to be back in Honolulu with TM, Higgins, TC and Rick.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#26 Post by Lt Tanaka »

I was 7 in 1980.

Two tv stations were all that you could receive where I lived in Ireland at that time. Imported dramas are always cheaper than home made stuff so I think that RTE showed 90% of dramas and comedies made in other English-speaking countries. Some great, some rubbish but Magnum was instantly my favourite.

I mis-remembered some stuff. I thought he never used a gun for example.

I always wished I could watch it again and now have all "9" seasons on dvd and am happy out! I bought season one both US and English versions to be "complete". Trip to Hawaii coming up this summer perhaps. I'll be sure to put the photos up here.

Icepick
Admiral

#27 Post by Icepick »

I remember Season 7 on tv the most vividly, like it was yesterday(I'm almost 40 I might add). Probably 'cause of the talk of the show ending and how they would do a final episode, etc. The other episodes at the time that are quite clear were the Simon & Simon crossover eps, and of course any of the Michelle ones.

Klaus
Lieutenant Commander

#28 Post by Klaus »

I started to be a Magnum fan in my early teens in the mid-80ies.

We kids (my two younger sisters and I) weren't allowed to watch too much TV, especially in the evening (only Saturdays) and not the action series we so wanted to see. There wasn't too much around anyway in Austria, The Fall Guy, Knight Rider. Miami Vice was later at night and was too brutal, our mother wouldn't let us watch it.

But Magnum was an exception, somehow. It screened at 9:15 p.m., but in the summer holidays we could watch it. It was just perfect, T.M. in Hawaii, we had holidays, it was hot, everything fitted. IMO, the quality of the series (subconsciously) made our mom let it watch us. It is a very well made TV show with great characters, and Tom Selleck was simply great. It had action of course, but not too much, had humor, Magnum was not a superhero but a person with high morality. I think that all (and so much more I coulnd't possibly mention) got us (me) hooked.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#29 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I started watching Magnum as a kid and loved it. I wanted to be like TM between the ages of 11-13. The show wasn't avaliable for a long time. I got into it again when it started showing on USA and WGN and realized why I loved the show so much.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Frodoleader »

Back in 1980, my fiance, now my wife, told me of this show she and her mother really liked. The next week I watched my first episode. Now, 28 years later I am participating in a web forum discussing MPI.

By the way, does anyone remember how back in the '80's during MPI's network run, how it seemed everyone had a brother or cousin or boyfriend that looked like TS? They rarely ever did, but it was was fun regardless! :lol: