Looking for a cheaper alternative to the Pepsi GMT?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Looking for a cheaper alternative to the Pepsi GMT?

#16 Post by eagle »

Kevster wrote:At about 5' 11", my 6.5" wrist is a bit smaller than normal, so I've been wearing a Citizen Eco-Drive that doesn't look big at all. It's probably 36-37MM... So, seeing the 42MM on your wrist makes the 39MM alternative a pretty safe bet for me.

I think I could do a 39MM, but I think the 42MM looks like it'd a bit much on me.

Thanks for sharing!!!
You bet. If I were buying today, I'd buy the 39mm version. I supported Maen's Hudson effort on Kickstarter, and expect to receive that watch in a few weeks. The Hudson is 38mm, and I expect it will fit my wrist better than does the 42mm. Even though this one is really too big for me, I won't bother swapping it out.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#17 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:
N1095A wrote:Actually, I'd be interested in any pics. I have an 8" wrist. The only thing keeping me from the 42mm, was the thought that it didn't have a tapered bracelet.
Funny, I never knew my wrist size, or even considered it... until now! :) Just measured it at a little under 9 inches. Of course, I'm 6-7 so the big wrist seems proportional, I suppose. Maybe that's why my watches over the years have all been relatively large and chunky, for lack of a better word. I just went by eye that it looked fine. Learn something new every day! :D
Wow! Wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley, Pahonu!

I've got a few watches that I cycle through, but my latest favourite is the re-issue of the classic Seiko Turtle (SRP777). The original was popular among GIs in Vietnam.

At 44mm, it's a behemoth by most standards, but it wears very small. By that, I mean that it doesn't feel clunky at all and doesn't even feel like it. They also make one with a pepsi bezel (SRP779). Such a fantastic quality watch and only $450. Highly recommended.

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I've got a few watches that I cycle through, but my latest favourite is the re-issue of the classic Seiko Turtle (SRP777). The original was popular among GIs in Vietnam.

At 44mm, it's a behemoth by most standards, but it wears very small. By that, I mean that it doesn't feel clunky at all and doesn't even feel like it. They also make one with a pepsi bezel (SRP779). Such a fantastic quality watch and only $450. Highly recommended.
Very nice. I probably should get over my insistence that a watch must be "Swiss made." That's all I've worn for the last 25 years.

Styles Bitchley

#19 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:I've got a few watches that I cycle through, but my latest favourite is the re-issue of the classic Seiko Turtle (SRP777). The original was popular among GIs in Vietnam.

Very nice. I probably should get over my insistence that a watch must be "Swiss made." That's all I've worn for the last 25 years.
Do not underestimate the Japanese! Especially Seiko. Well known among watch enthusiasts as the one of the best (if not, the best) quality to cost ratios. Truly fantastic automatic movements.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#20 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
eagle wrote:

Do not underestimate the Japanese! Especially Seiko. Well known among watch enthusiasts as the one of the best (if not, the best) quality to cost ratios. Truly fantastic automatic movements.
Agreed Styles! I have a Seiko dive watch from the early 90's that still runs great. It's indestructible. I usually only wear it camping because it looks like hell from being beaten up over 25 years. It's never been serviced, but amazingly still keeps good time!

I'll be sure to keep out of dark alleys then! :wink:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Pahonu wrote:Funny, I never knew my wrist size, or even considered it... until now! :) Just measured it at a little under 9 inches. Of course, I'm 6-7 so the big wrist seems proportional, I suppose. Maybe that's why my watches over the years have all been relatively large and chunky, for lack of a better word. I just went by eye that it looked fine. Learn something new every day! :D
You're 6 foot 7?? I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley either! (or even in a brightly lit one) I don't know how you fit on your sailboat. Are you sure you're not exaggerating like Higgins? ("For, by the age of 14, I had attained the weight of 15 stone and a height of 6 feet.")

I'm 6 foot in shoes (6 foot 2 with thick boots) and I often think I'm too tall for my sailboat. (...of course, I have a small sailboat...)

Pahonu

#22 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
Pahonu wrote:Funny, I never knew my wrist size, or even considered it... until now! :) Just measured it at a little under 9 inches. Of course, I'm 6-7 so the big wrist seems proportional, I suppose. Maybe that's why my watches over the years have all been relatively large and chunky, for lack of a better word. I just went by eye that it looked fine. Learn something new every day! :D
You're 6 foot 7?? I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley either! (or even in a brightly lit one) I don't know how you fit on your sailboat. Are you sure you're not exaggerating like Higgins? ("For, by the age of 14, I had attained the weight of 15 stone and a height of 6 feet.")

I'm 6 foot in shoes (6 foot 2 with thick boots) and I often think I'm too tall for my sailboat. (...of course, I have a small sailboat...)
In fact, I'm closer to 6-8 but don't claim higher. I played NCAA ball on a scholarship from 1989-91 until I ruptured my Achilles which pretty much ended my basketball career. I teach high school in SoCal now and coached from 1996-2001 including five CIF post-season appearances each year, reaching the state quarter-finals in 1998.

I also have to say I'm somewhat disappointed at some of the comments in the diversity thread. My adopted children are African-American now 16 and 17 and I have personally witnessed racist behavior from those who claim not to see race. :( My parents were Canadian, moving here in the 1960's, and spoke of West Indian immigrants of African origins from Jamaica and other former British colonies with nothing but dignity and respect. Take this how you will, but I know what I and my family have witnessed. Sorry if these seems political but it's my experiance :(

Styles Bitchley

#23 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:

In fact, I'm closer to 6-8 but don't claim higher. I played NCAA ball on a scholarship from 1989-91 until I ruptured my Achilles which pretty much ended my basketball career. I teach high school in SoCal now and coached from 1996-2001 including five CIF post-season appearances each year, reaching the state quarter-finals in 1998.

I also have to say I'm somewhat disappointed at some of the comments in the diversity thread. My adopted children are African-American now 16 and 17 and I have personally witnessed racist behavior from those who claim not to see race. :( My parents were Canadian, moving here in the 1960's, and spoke of West Indian immigrants of African origins from Jamaica and other former British colonies with nothing but dignity and respect. Take this how you will, but I know what I and my family have witnessed. Sorry if these seems political but it's my experiance :(
Yes, I’ve seen it before here and thankfully it tends to die quickly once it’s clear nobody’s interested in that sort of discussion. It’s one of the big dangers of yearning for a return to a golden age that never really existed. Probably best to save this for the KKC.

- J.Q.H.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Kevster »

Pahonu wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:

Wow, please don't take anything I said to mean that racism does not exist, or that biases aren't present in people who don't recognize it within themselves!

And, I just deleted 15-minutes of typing. I love HEALTHY discussions, and the last thing I want is to taint our Magnum haven.
Trust Me!!!

Pahonu

#25 Post by Pahonu »

Styles and Kevster, thanks. I've had almost ten years of great discussions on this board. I also don't want to silence that discussion. I honestly think some of the disappointment in the reboot, including mine, has led to some comments about casting changes, etc... that are perhaps more emotional than strictly rational. I get that. I just had to present my situation in response. Lets continue to enjoy Magnum PI, the original! :magnum:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Pahonu wrote:I also have to say I'm somewhat disappointed at some of the comments in the diversity thread. My adopted children are African-American now 16 and 17 and I have personally witnessed racist behavior from those who claim not to see race. :( My parents were Canadian, moving here in the 1960's, and spoke of West Indian immigrants of African origins from Jamaica and other former British colonies with nothing but dignity and respect. Take this how you will, but I know what I and my family have witnessed. Sorry if these seems political but it's my experiance :(
I don't know why you'd be disappointed. I didn't see anything offensive there.

I have personally witnessed racist behaviour from every race. In my lifetime, the most obvious (even vicious) racism I've seen has been non-whites against whites. I've experienced racism against me, and also against my wife. (who is not white)

There is no way "not to see race". I spent my whole life trying that, ignoring race and treating every person as if they were exactly the same. It doesn't work! You must see race so that you can alter your behaviour and conversation so not to unintentionally offend or provoke the person you're dealing with.

But... this is a watch thread. :P

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by K Hale »

I am soooooooooooooooooooooo staying out of that thread. 8)

Any of you titans got a Pepsi watch for a 5.5" wrist??? :D
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Styles Bitchley

#28 Post by Styles Bitchley »

K Hale wrote:I am soooooooooooooooooooooo staying out of that thread. 8)

Any of you titans got a Pepsi watch for a 5.5" wrist??? :D
I think the smaller Steinhart would be perfect.

- J.Q.H.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Kevster »

Pahonu wrote:Styles and Kevster, thanks. I've had almost ten years of great discussions on this board. I also don't want to silence that discussion. I honestly think some of the disappointment in the reboot, including mine, has led to some comments about casting changes, etc... that are perhaps more emotional than strictly rational. I get that. I just had to present my situation in response. Lets continue to enjoy Magnum PI, the original! :magnum:
Thanks for that, and my issues with the casting are not about the choices (though it could be, if the actors prove to have weak acting chops), it is about motive. Artistic choices are one thing, but agenda casting that undermines the central relationships of an existing program's universe is challenging to accept.

Magnum, PI was endearing because of the relationships of the characters. Higgins and Magnum being the most poignant of them all because it reflected tension between the two men of different ages, but an evolving relationship that included veiled respect and tension. The changes to the casting on the modern show jettisoned that, and now it's a quasi-sibling (probably romantic-ish) rivalry thing. That's now notably different in the reboot, so the old was not used.

Of course, that's gender and age impacting that casting, and not race.

I'm not losing sleep over it, nor am I going to protest, burn cars, or wear pink @#$%@# hats over it either. However, that doesn't mean I don't interpret some of what they're doing as culturally influenced and shortsighted due to groupthink.
Trust Me!!!

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#30 Post by Kwai Bridge »

Back to the topic, the Seiko one goes for $239 on Amazon. Also, look at that rating!

-> Amazon link