RANK 'EM! Top 5 '80s Private Detective TV Shows ...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

TheDungeonMaster
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: RANK 'EM! Top 5 '80s Private Detective TV Shows ...

#16 Post by TheDungeonMaster »

I watched most of those as a kid growing up and if I did a ranking then it would look different from todays. I enjoyed MPI as a kid but not nearly as much as an adult when some of the more subtle elements make more sense. On the other hand some shows like Knight Rider and The A-Team that were favorites as a kid aren't anymore. I tried re-watching the A-team and I couldn't do it. Loved the show as a kid, had a poster of Mr. T and everything but it hasn't aged well. Some on that list I hated as a kid (I'm looking at you Murder She Wrote) and still can't stand them!

Anyway here is my ranking today -

#1 - MPI
#2 - Equalizer (especially the 2nd season and the 3rd before Edward Woodward had his heart attack)
#3 - Simon & Simon (probably enjoyed this more as a kid then MPI)
#4 - MacGyver (never watched it regularly but the show still appeals to me and hasn't aged to badly)
#5 - Knight Rider or A-Team (loved them both as a kid but have a hard time watching them now with out cringing)

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by KingKC »

1. MPI
2. Simon & Simon
3. Murder She Wrote
4. Spenser for Hire
5. TIE: Moonlighting/Knight Rider

Special Mention of Hill Street Blues as best police show ever. When MPI, Simon & Simon and Hill Street Blues were all on Thursday nights, that was the best night of television for me EVER. GREAT memories!

Special Mention of Rockford Files as GREAT.

KingKC

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by KingKC »

Lance Mannion wrote:
Dave Anderson wrote:
eagle wrote:...I especially like Charlie's Angels seasons 2-3 (with... Kate Jackson)...
Oh yeah!... :D

Ironic, Kate Jackson was considered the "un-pretty" one :-)) ... But that was when every kid in America - knew of, had/needed only two Posters - Farrah Fawcett and Rocky Balboa - Simpler times ...
WOW! I had almost forgotten how beautiful Kate Jackson was. She was, IMO, the prettiest of the three original angels. When Cheryl Ladd replaced Farrah she gave Kate Jackson a run for her money!!

KingKC

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

[quote="Styles Bitchley"]So, several of those listed are cop shows, so I'm keeping with the solid private detective genre.

1. Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer (Love the juxtaposition of Keach's version of Hammer living in 1980s NYC. It's funny, gritty, and unapologetically masculine. I think Hammer kills at least one bad guy and sleeps with at least one hot babe in every episode!)

Hi Styles,
Good choice. Even though Hammer was tongue in cheek, the fact that Keach(as opposed to Bruce Willis) was a actual tough guy helped put it across. After the 1st season aired, Keach got caught holding cocaine in England and spent a year in one of Her Majesty's prisons.
The gaol hard guys tried it on with Keach his first day in general population, assuming he was a soft Hollywood phony when in actuality he has serious boxing skills.
Keach kicked the hell out of them and no one bothered him again.
A second season was filmed on his release, to which was added the several Hammer tv movies - as 2 part episodes - to make around 60 episodes for the rerun package.
Styles, in 1983 or 1984 my buddies and I were hitting various bars like McSorleys on a drinking run when I looked out the cab window when Holy Smokes, I saw a office window with Mike Hammer Associates! (or something like that). I couldnt figure what it was doing there, till I later read they were filming a pilot movie with Keach. My big brush with Hollywood.
By the way it may sound incredible but only a handful of authors have sold more books than Spillane, he leaves Mark Twain in the dust.
Styles, I note you are from the Great White North(Canada), aren't there any Canadian detective shows you have liked? Is there a Canadian version of Magnum?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#20 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:So, several of those listed are cop shows, so I'm keeping with the solid private detective genre.

1. Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer (Love the juxtaposition of Keach's version of Hammer living in 1980s NYC. It's funny, gritty, and unapologetically masculine. I think Hammer kills at least one bad guy and sleeps with at least one hot babe in every episode!)

Hi Styles,
Good choice. Even though Hammer was tongue in cheek, the fact that Keach(as opposed to Bruce Willis) was a actual tough guy helped put it across. After the 1st season aired, Keach got caught holding cocaine in England and spent a year in one of Her Majesty's prisons.
The gaol hard guys tried it on with Keach his first day in general population, assuming he was a soft Hollywood phony when in actuality he has serious boxing skills.
Keach kicked the hell out of them and no one bothered him again.
A second season was filmed on his release, to which was added the several Hammer tv movies - as 2 part episodes - to make around 60 episodes for the rerun package.
Styles, in 1983 or 1984 my buddies and I were hitting various bars like McSorleys on a drinking run when I looked out the cab window when Holy Smokes, I saw a office window with Mike Hammer Associates! (or something like that). I couldnt figure what it was doing there, till I later read they were filming a pilot movie with Keach. My big brush with Hollywood.
By the way it may sound incredible but only a handful of authors have sold more books than Spillane, he leaves Mark Twain in the dust.
Styles, I note you are from the Great White North(Canada), aren't there any Canadian detective shows you have liked? Is there a Canadian version of Magnum?
Hammer was a great throwback to film noir. Really funny stuff. I really can't believe they never released the original two on DVD or in any other format! Don't know many mainstream shows where that has been the case. They did release two made for TV movies that came out before the first season and then they released the crappy late '90s reboot (it made such a difference filming on a soundstage in California vs. on location in NYC).

Canadian version of MPI? Magnum on Ice??? Can't think of anything like that. Most Canadian TV in the '80s was pretty cheesy. There was a decent show called Night Heat back then, but it was a cop show.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.