Things you may or may not know about Magnum PI

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Things you may or may not know about Magnum PI

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Hi JJ,
Did the ladies in question have big parts? Okay, let me rephrase that, were they eye candy in the background or did they have speaking parts? If you would just post all their centerfolds, that would be a big help. Thanking you in advance,
Mike
LOL!

No, they all had speaking parts (otherwise they wouldn't be in the credits). Some had major roles (Stella Stevens), most were bit players.
marlboro wrote:I can name six of them. Who was the seventh?
Colleen Camp is the seventh, although she wasn't a "Playmate of the Month". Same goes for Marta Kober ("The Way of the Stalking Horse"). So technically this off-beat Magnum trivia fact should really be: Six "Playmates of the Month", 2 Playboy "appearances". ;)
308GUY wrote:Ok, I can understand knowing who all those girls are and when and where they appeared in the show, but how does one know that the hot tub scene in "L.A." was omitted on DVD?
A crazy as it may sound, there is a perfectly good explanation for this. As part of creating/updating the episode pages over the years, I literally googled every single actor/actress that appeared on the show. This lead to finding out about the Playboy Playmates (although truthfully I did know about a few them just by sight...lol!) and all sorts of other notable people (mobsters, pro wrestlers, stunt men, volleyball players, local hawaiian newscasters, musicians and comedians, etc.). Well, the end credits of "L.A." show a Kimberly McArthur credited as 'Lady in Hot Tub'. The Season Seven DVD has a syndicated version of this episode which doesn't show her or the hot tub scene at all (blasphemy I know). This came up on the forum several years ago and someone (I can't remember who now) chimed in to say that they had the original broadcast of the episode on VHS. In looking at the tape, there she was, hot tub and all! Here's a screencap: http://magnum-mania.com/images/7_1_z.jpg .

So you see, this is all in the name of research! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#17 Post by marlboro »

J.J. Walters wrote: Same goes for Marta Kober ("The Way of the Stalking Horse").
She wasn't in the magazine, right? Just a 90s softcore flick. Kind of surprising either way. I didn't think she was the Playboy type.

Marta 2013:

Brace yourself.

Make sure you're siting down.

Make sure your goggles are secured...

As you can tell from her mugshot, her post Hollywood career has not gone well.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#18 Post by Doc Ibold »

marlboro wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote: Same goes for Marta Kober ("The Way of the Stalking Horse").
She wasn't in the magazine, right? Just a 90s softcore flick. Kind of surprising either way. I didn't think she was the Playboy type.

Marta 2013:

Brace yourself.

Make sure you're siting down.

Make sure your goggles are secured...

As you can tell from her mugshot, her post Hollywood career has not gone well.
That's unfortunate.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by 308GUY »

J.J. Walters wrote:
308GUY wrote:Ok, I can understand knowing who all those girls are and when and where they appeared in the show, but how does one know that the hot tub scene in "L.A." was omitted on DVD?
A crazy as it may sound, there is a perfectly good explanation for this. As part of creating/updating the episode pages over the years, I literally googled every single actor/actress that appeared on the show. This lead to finding out about the Playboy Playmates (although truthfully I did know about a few them just by sight...lol!) and all sorts of other notable people (mobsters, pro wrestlers, stunt men, volleyball players, local hawaiian newscasters, musicians and comedians, etc.). Well, the end credits of "L.A." show a Kimberly McArthur credited as 'Lady in Hot Tub'. The Season Seven DVD has a syndicated version of this episode which doesn't show her or the hot tub scene at all (blasphemy I know). This came up on the forum several years ago and someone (I can't remember who now) chimed in to say that they had the original broadcast of the episode on VHS. In looking at the tape, there she was, hot tub and all! Here's a screencap: http://magnum-mania.com/images/7_1_z.jpg .

Thanks James, makes perfect sense. I thought of another, even more basic explanation: If someone had or had access to VCR tapes taken directly from when the series first aired, it would be a simple matter of comparing the original broadcast to the re-issued (edited) DVD version now available to discover edited material. Even more basic, if someone just remembered what they saw during the original broadcast, though that one's a little more "remote" as a possibility, at least in my mind. :)

Ran across a similar situation just recently, or at least that's what I suspect.

I have all 8 seasons on disc in the version that was first available individually, and also have the complete boxed set. While watching Adelaide, the jeep chase scene where the left front tire is shot and is shown going flat, then as I recall in the single season releases, shows the right front tire being changed. In the boxed set version, the left front tire is shown being shot and going flat, then the scene showing the other tire being changed is just completely left out, but after the jeep comes to a stop, they do show TM looking at the right front tire in disgust, but that's where the scene is cut, then the next shot shows them rolling back up in front of the building, with all four tires in good shape. No explanation what-so-ever concerning the tire being flat and then not being flat.

But I haven't rechecked the single season release disc again to see if my memory is intact or not, but I do remember the discrepancy with the tire situation from the first time I watched it. So.....it could just be me. I think I remember this being mentioned in the flub section too.

It IS truly amazing what can be learned from digging deep enough, long enough and especially in the right places. I'm very grateful to those who have/take the time to dig up the details.

I just can't imagine how much time and effort had to have gone into setting up this site to begin with. I think James deserves some kind of award or something, he certainly has the recognition from all of us here. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#20 Post by marlboro »

308GUY wrote: I think James deserves some kind of award or something
Cat Lover of the Month?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by 308GUY »

marlboro wrote:
308GUY wrote: I think James deserves some kind of award or something
Cat Lover of the Month?

:lol: That'll work! He'll have to give an acceptance speech though.... :D

We can call a meeting and play "spin the cat" after the official festivities! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

J.J. Walters wrote:

If someone is really interested, the german DVDs contain the mentioned hot tub scenes in full ( though nothing is really to be seen).
And I have this episode as a codefree MP4 file.