The Marks Estate

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Mahalos, Lily! the descendants was written by a Hemmeter, a famous name here. The Hemmeter center in Waikiki supplanted the Biltmore. Built in the year I was born 1955, and then years ago, I watched it implode. (I didn't do it, It hadda come down for the Hemmeter center)
The movie is a little goofy and definitely geared towards non locals. (duh of course).
New plastic hula girl wiggler on dashboard when they coulda gotten a vintage looking one...
Clooney talks with a non local inflection and non local pronunciation...
The haole kid has got dumb lines:
"sup, bruh!" and
"What can ah seh!"
But of course I am still looking forward to seeing it.
The bridge Clooney rests at are seen throughout Nu'uanu. One is on Kimo Drive. haha. The road he runs around on as seen in the trailer, is a few doors down from the Cooke Estate. It is the intersection of Old Pali Rd and Nu'uanu Pali Drive. N.P.Dr. of course made kinda famous by many shots of Magnum (and Rick) in the Ferrari zipping along (too fast) with that beautiful tunnel effects afforded by the canopy of trees.
A Hui Hou!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Sam »

Hi Pahonu,

These caps were taken from season 12 "School for Assassins" filmed at the Marks Estate..

This is the same room we've been discussing..The three paned double doors are now one piece glass doors....The ceilings are the same..light fixtures are different.The room layout is the same...Also notice....the down spout is still in the same spot..ha.

Check the McGarrett angle.

So forget about the pictures that are shown from the real estate listings..

Last edited by Sam on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, you guys have been busy today! It's going to take me a while to digest this all before I have something meaningful to say. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Lily »

Aloha Braddah Kimo! I read that Unity House bought the Cooke/Marks Estate in 1997. Was this the group who restored the house to its present condition?

The scenery in the Descendants was lovely and am afraid this was really the only reason we went to see the movie. I thought the movie was rather weak, but see what you think!

Afraid I had to Google the Hemmeter centre as although the name was familiar, couldnt think where it was. Should have known as we have stayed in the Hyatt Regency a few times. Will not be staying there next month, since the hotel rates can now be considered as over the top!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Good shots, Sam. tanx for sharing. gotta re-view that ep. This was that awful era when the State of Hawaii owned the property and messed up much of the fixtures and decor.
Lily, Unity and subsequent owners restored the house to its present condition. It is, as with any and all large estates, a formidable undertaking.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Sam wrote:Yeah Kimo,it probably was a set and as Pahonu mentioned.the set wasn't finished or the entry to the room wasn't figured out.

Have you been in the house??
hmmm lemmee think. uh yep.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Sam »

Braddah Kimo wrote: IF... they actually continued as they were, they would end up in a large room of the estate which looks much larger than the soundstage shot they used. Good seamless set decorating and editing, of course makes it seem all as one place.

So then Kimo..why did you say the above?
It's the same room from Wooden Rat and School for Assassins,which is pretty much exactly the same size as the soundstage.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Sam »

The funny thing in the season 12 episode,the establishing shot of the Marks estate is actually from a house on the old property on the other side of the Pali.Built in 1970 and owned by Elizabeth(Marks) Stack who incidentally owns 25 N. Hotel St..home of Hubba Hubba.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Sam wrote:
So then Kimo..why did you say the above?
It's the same room from Wooden Rat and School foer Assassins,which is pretty much exactly the same size as the soundstag.

uh. wot dat? I'm cornfused now.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Sam wrote:The funny thing in the season 12 episode,the establishing shot of the Marks estate is actually from a house on the old property on the other side of the Pali.Built in 1970 and owned by Elizabeth(Marks) Stack who incidentally owns 25 N. Hotel St..home of Hubba Hubba.
Good info! hafta look for that. Funny how they do that kine stuffs hah.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Since we are talking about famous Oahu estates, I was wondering, Kimo, what is the status of the Walker Estate in the upper Nuʻuanu Valley? The last I heard it was in danger of being demolished. This famous estate was, of course, used in several Hawaii Five-0 and Magnum episodes.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Braddah Kimo »

oop. just saw this. will check this out.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Braddah Kimo »

....foolin around with a lil morphing of the Cooke/Marks dakine. Fun to see how the trees grew in seventy eight years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S28MmpCy ... e=youtu.be

(the four trees on the right.)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#29 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Braddah Kimo wrote:....foolin around with a lil morphing of the Cooke/Marks dakine. Fun to see how the trees grew in seventy eight years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S28MmpCy ... e=youtu.be

(the four trees on the right.)
Angle's a little different, but gets the point across. Very cool!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Styles Bitchley wrote:

Angle's a little different,
oh darn. well, i will just have to redo the darned thing then. Cuz, ya know, I'm a perfectionist. tanx.