The Magnum Chime

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#16 Post by ConchRepublican »

Love it!

OK, now I need to show my ignorance. I have no cell phone skills. I hate the darn things. But, this would make me happier to have one. How would I get it on my cell? I have a Motorola Razor.

Thanks!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#17 Post by golfmobile »

First save the mp3 to your computer. Can your Razr handle a micro SD chip? If so, with an adapter to fit the micro SD chip into a USB slot, you can copy it from computer to SD chip, put the chip in the phone, find "memory card" in your phone settings, then probably "Audio." If you then click on it to listen to it, afterwards you should get a prompt such save "Options," "Save," or "Set as ringtone."

Rough answer. However, if you don't have the Razr that allows the SD card, you can email it to your phone, depending on your messaging allowances and service provider. For example, I have AT&T so I could email it to "[my phone number]@mms.att.net." Then go through the steps above.

Also, one thing to keep in mind: most cell phones allow only ringtones that are 200kb or smaller. I didn't check the properties of this chime, but it sounds short enough that it should be within the size limits. Good luck and keep us posted on how it works for you.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

ConchRepublican

#18 Post by ConchRepublican »

golfmobile wrote:First save the mp3 to your computer. Can your Razr handle a micro SD chip? If so, with an adapter to fit the micro SD chip into a USB slot, you can copy it from computer to SD chip, put the chip in the phone, find "memory card" in your phone settings, then probably "Audio." If you then click on it to listen to it, afterwards you should get a prompt such save "Options," "Save," or "Set as ringtone."

Rough answer. However, if you don't have the Razr that allows the SD card, you can email it to your phone, depending on your messaging allowances and service provider. For example, I have AT&T so I could email it to "[my phone number]@mms.att.net." Then go through the steps above.

Also, one thing to keep in mind: most cell phones allow only ringtones that are 200kb or smaller. I didn't check the properties of this chime, but it sounds short enough that it should be within the size limits. Good luck and keep us posted on how it works for you.

golf
Golf, you da best!

I now have a lunchtime project.

Thanks!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#19 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:Love it!

OK, now I need to show my ignorance. I have no cell phone skills. I hate the darn things. But, this would make me happier to have one. How would I get it on my cell? I have a Motorola Razor.

Thanks!
Hey Conch,

I used to have a Razor. The easiest way I found to do it was to use the bluetooth connection to transfer it from my laptop (which has bluetooth) to the phone. Once the mp3 is on your phone, it should appear as one of your ringtones on the ringtone menu.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#20 Post by golfmobile »

Let us know if you get it to work. I'm curious.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

ConchRepublican

#21 Post by ConchRepublican »

Thanks Styles, but I don't bluetooth.

For some reason, when I emailed my phone, it removed the chime MP3.
CoziTV Superfan spot

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#22 Post by golfmobile »

Conch,

If you want to, PM me your phone number email address and I'll try emailing it to your phone, and we can see if that works, either from my email or from my phone. It should work, in theory -- the file seems to be only 144 kb so it shouldn't be deleting it because of size. Do you have a limit on messaging? Even that shouldn't interfere, as it should accept it and just bill you $0.20 for the message and maybe some pennies for the attachment if you don't pay for messaging on a monthly basis.

Alternatively, does your phone handle a microSD card/chip?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#23 Post by Italian Ice »

Thanks for this guys! A friend of mine programmed this (I HAVE NO IDEA HOW!) to go off when I shut down or turn on my computer.

GAH has a similar tone, 4 beats, a lower tone, usually when its that right moment, usually when something funny happens to Ralph.

Thanks again....this is awesome, but too short for a ringtone though...
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

ConchRepublican

#24 Post by ConchRepublican »

golfmobile wrote:Conch,

If you want to, PM me your phone number email address and I'll try emailing it to your phone, and we can see if that works, either from my email or from my phone. It should work, in theory -- the file seems to be only 144 kb so it shouldn't be deleting it because of size. Do you have a limit on messaging? Even that shouldn't interfere, as it should accept it and just bill you $0.20 for the message and maybe some pennies for the attachment if you don't pay for messaging on a monthly basis.

Alternatively, does your phone handle a microSD card/chip?

golf
Hey golf,

Not blowing you off, I appreciate the offer. I've been crazy busy the last few days. I'll sit down and try this again over the weekend.

Thanks!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Walks
Captain

#25 Post by Walks »

I played with this a little bit.

There's a little "flutter" at the end, and I'll work on it a little more, but for now:

http://www.russellwalks.com/magchime1.mp3

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, yeah! That one is much better! :)

Thanks Walks!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

PhatCat
Admiral

#27 Post by PhatCat »

Perfect!

ConchRepublican

#28 Post by ConchRepublican »

I finally got it!

Thanks to a phone upgrade (Blackberry Bold) I just surfed over to James' site and downloaded the chime. Viola! Golden!
CoziTV Superfan spot

PhatCat
Admiral

#29 Post by PhatCat »

I love it. I use the chime for any incoming text or alert. I use the iconic theme for a ringtone.

I love the looks I get from people. "Yes," I say. "That's the Magnum P.I. theme." Never gets old.

ConchRepublican

#30 Post by ConchRepublican »

Now I have to figure out how to get "Work the lock, work the lock, don't look at the dogs . . . you looked at the dogs!!!" on there.

I have the theme for phone calls and the chome for text and email updates.
CoziTV Superfan spot