Hot Wheels Elite ROBIN-1

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

steveadl wrote:Well that's a bit disappointing, just received this email: :(
We were recently informed by the distributor for Mattel that due to licensing issues the 1:18 scale 1980s Ferrari 308 GTS (P9908) will not have the "Magnum P.I." TV series logo or artwork on the packaging as originally announced. It will only have the "TV Stars" branding.

This highly detailed Limited Edition model will still be the same model of the Ferrari seen in the series. I should also mention that we were told that the printed background scene in the box behind the car will be a helicopter and palm trees, the same as it was before the licensing issue.

These models have arrived at the distributor and are awaiting shipment to us. But, since there was in change in the packaging, we need to know if you still want to order it. Please let us know as soon as possible. I apologize for any inconvenience.
That will certainly limit the collectability of the cars. I wonder if any were actually printed with the original concept before they reconsidered? That would be a collector.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Coops »

I was a judge at this weekends "Keels And Wheels" concours d'elegence and after the judging I went and looked at a couple of 328 GTB's. I had often wondered why Magnum always had the top off and the windows down with the doors unlocked when I realized that the door lock where the key goes was right under my kneecap, and I'm just a shade over 6' tall! I can't imagine unlocking it every time I got in the car!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Danno »

Check eBay for these. They're selling now.
Around $70 (not including shipping).

Looks like the box has palm trees and a chopper pictured on the back card.
No mention of MPI. No number plate either.

Now if someone would just make a Hughes 500D in the same colours and scale...
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Here are a few:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ferrar ... m270.l1313

Is it only me who thinks, that the rims (and the entire wheels) are looking terrible!

Same for the silver-coloured areal antenna.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Coops wrote: I had often wondered why Magnum always had the top off and the windows down with the doors unlocked
I am pretty sure, that in the first season (pretty certain the pilot episode), the GTs can be seen with the top closed and TS inside of the car.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by steveadl »

Glad I cancelled my order.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#22 Post by N1095A »

First of all, there were a couple of episodes where TM drove the Ferrari with the top on. "The Kona Winds" comes to mind, but there were others. It was rare. I read somewhere that they had to modify the Ferraris for TS's 6'5" body by bolting the driver seat back as far as it would go in the car, and removing almost all the foam from the seat. Must have been real comfortable to drive :roll:.
Secondly, there is one on Ebay right now for $40. I was disappointed they chose the earlier 308 over the '84 with the red windshield frame. However the only thing missing from these models is the Robin-1 plate. Since it is the earlier 308, I'd consider adding the 56E-478 license plate. It's easy to do, just use photo paper, and capture an image of the plate from the ones for sale on Ebay. Print it out the right size, and whala.
The plates for sale on Ebay have a brown lettering, and in the pilot, the plate had blue letteting.
I'm a stickler for details,(see my photobucket) http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/TX23_MCB/
and this model looks great.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by only looking »

NICE WORK THERE BUD!!! :shock: You know need to make the 67 Impala from Supernatural...then sell me one...LOL The 4 door hard tops are a hard one to come by..then the wheels and the cache the have of weapons in the trunk.... :D
Last edited by only looking on Mon May 10, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Danno »

Ah, so it was you N1095A who posted that before!
Your Dorothy / Dodge has stuck in my mind for a while- it's so inventive and looks as good as an ILM model. Really blown away by your work!

You never made a model of the truck from Duel, did you?

N1095A

#25 Post by N1095A »

Thanks for the compliments guys. Dan, No I never did the Duel truck, but I've seen sites where a lot of people have. The trailer has to be completely scratch built. It's a project I always thought one day I'd take on. But there are so many I want to do.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Coops »

The model looks pretty good to me. I am not sure what everyone else is seeing but the wheels/tires look ok. Am I missing something?

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Danno »

I saw one yesterday- it's really cool. I ordered one online immediately...

As N1095A suggested, I'm making a custom ROBIN-1 plate from images online and changing the lettering the a dark blue. Will look good next to my 1:18 DeLorean! 8)

N1095A

#28 Post by N1095A »

ban-1
Lieutenant

#29 Post by ban-1 »

Does the diecast version include the top? Also, they need to do T.C.'s van and helicopter, Higgins's Audi, Robin 3-The SUV, A Dollhouse version of Robins Nest including the guest house, maybe even Carol's Golf.

ban-1
Lieutenant

#30 Post by ban-1 »

That one is gone, but this one isn't.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-18-Ferrari-308-GT ... 66175#shId
Sorry if link wont work.[/url]