Collecting Magnum Stuff

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MBJR9
Commander

#121 Post by MBJR9 »

James J. Walters wrote:

It's in the Black Point community of Kahala. He owned it from '81-'01. Sold for a cool 2.7 mil.!
I was looking through the thread and just thought I'd ad in a little more info.

The house was once again sold at the end of 2006 for 3.4 million. I do have the address, don't know if that would be something you'd like to list on the main site along with the pic (you probably already know it). Also, I do have a few smaller pics of the interior, pool, deck, etc. if anybody is interested.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#122 Post by golfmobile »

Personally, I'd love to see more pictures and would also like the address -- if only to look it up on Google Earth and work out a map as to where it was compared to other known MPI filming locations. This might be one more place to add to our "itinerary" for visiting Oahu and MPI places. This is the only picture I have ever seen of this house. I'd love to know just where on the island it is located -- in terms of where TS had to go to get to the studio for filiming or to Robin's Nest for exterior shots, etc.

Just curious as to location on the island.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MBJR9
Commander

#123 Post by MBJR9 »

The address is 4161 Akulikuli Terrace, Honolulu, HI. Like James said it is located in/on Black Point. Both Google and Live give terrible aerial images, they don't even place the marker correctly over the house. Your more than welcome to try though, please let me know if you find a decent shot of it.

Here are the other pics. Sorry for them being so small but it's all I could find on the net. These were taken the first time it was sold in '01 so it should be the way Tom had lived in it. I would KILL to have a property like this in HI, it's absolutely gorgeous!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#124 Post by golfmobile »

Thanks! Where did you find those on the 'net? Just curious.

Okay, here's the location per Google Earth, which you say is the wrong house (easily understandable -- I think GE is always off by a few properties -- it is for my house, for example).

So based on this picture, where is the house, really? I thought it would have been closer to the ocean, from the pictures you posted of the rest of the house.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#125 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, great pictures MBJR9! Thanks

What a wonderful piece of property, with a great view!

The neighborhood does look a little cramped, though. It makes you realize just how rare a good-sized lawn, like the one at the Anderson Estate, truly is on Oahu. Lawns are becoming a thing of the past everywhere, I guess.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MBJR9
Commander

#126 Post by MBJR9 »

Golf, attatched is the picture you posted. I edited it and circled the house in red. Yes, Google especially always seems to place the address in the wrong spot. I have had much better luck with Live's aerial maps (personally my favorite).

You are also correct in the fact that the house is not that close to the ocean. In reality it's probably about 300 yards away. However, it is kind of up on a hill. It's kind of hard to explain but Tom's house is at approx 94ft above sea level. The farther south you go (the closer to the ocean) the more the elevation drops off. The edge of the coast right on the water is at 10ft.

Also, I found the photos at the realty site that originally sold Tom's house in '01. Quite frankly I'm surprised I found any at all. Usually places don't keep sold ads up for 6 years!

James, unfortunately Hawaii is just getting more and more cramped. Any houses/lots that have an area whatsoever are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Just FYI; the Anderson Estate is worth approx $7.5 million, only $600,000 of that is for the house. I'd absolutely LOVE to live in Hawaii but you can't buy a decent house for less than $400,000-500,000. But I guess thats what happens when your population goes up and your land area stays the same.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#127 Post by golfmobile »

MBJR9,

That's great! I totally understand how you edited what I put up. Yeah, that certainly must be a big drop in elevation! You can rather see it in the pictures of the house you posted -- the shots from the deck with the ocean in the distance rather show some rooftops between the deck and the sea. So that explains it. Still, interesting how Google Earth really flattens EVERYTHING, isn't it?

Thanks very much! I love seeing this kind of stuff!

golf

P.S. Okay, who's the next one of us to visit Oahu and find the house? Since we now know where it is, it has to be viewed too, along with the MPI scene locations, right? Right??? I'm waiting for some more pictures of the tidal pool -- and TS' former house -- pictures taken by one of us fans! Everyone goes to "Robin's Nest" -- NOW the challenge is to photograph Tom Selleck house (though I still want to see pictures, too, of the Walker Estate, so we can find out what its status is these days).

g.
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#128 Post by rubber chicken »

Wow, 7.5 million for the Anderson Estate. I figure the yearly property tax could be $140,000. Would that be about right? No wonder it's not in perfect shape. :(

But then again, in my experience older people naturally tend to have less work done on their houses than than younger folks. Seems like most people have their last renovations and such in their 50s and 60s and then just let it ride. At least that's what I plan to do. :)

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#129 Post by Jeffrey »

If i had 7,5 million i would.... :P
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

MBJR9
Commander

#130 Post by MBJR9 »

rubber chicken wrote:Wow, 7.5 million for the Anderson Estate. I figure the yearly property tax could be $140,000. Would that be about right? No wonder it's not in perfect shape. :(

But then again, in my experience older people naturally tend to have less work done on their houses than than younger folks. Seems like most people have their last renovations and such in their 50s and 60s and then just let it ride. At least that's what I plan to do.
Well, the yearly property tax is $20,000. The state valued it at $6.36mil for tax purposes but if it was actually sold it would easily bring $7.5mil, possibly even more.

Yes, that makes since. You also have to consider the size of the estate. With over 3 acres to maintain, before you know it everything is in a state of disrepair. I have a fairly large lot, even though it's only 1/2 acre, and I never run out of stuff that needs to be done. I wouldn't even want to think about how much work something 6 times larger than my yard would take, even if I did have the funds to hire people. You'd need a few people working a full time job to get it all done!

Does anybody know what Eve did/does for living? I remember something about being involved in the local politics. Maybe I need to switch professions :lol: !

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#131 Post by Olivier »

Does anybody know what Eve did/does for living? I remember something about being involved in the local politics. Maybe I need to switch professions Laughing !
In the 90's she was republican representative. Now it' s not easy to find informations about her.
Three years ago she gave 250 $ contribution for G. Bush : http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/neig ... rch=Search
(look her adress...).

She is a stepchild of the richest woman in Hawaii who died recently (may 2007) : http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 90349.html

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#132 Post by rubber chicken »

MBJR9 wrote:Well, the yearly property tax is $20,000. The state valued it at $6.36mil for tax purposes but if it was actually sold it would easily bring $7.5mil, possibly even more.
I don't mean to sound like I doubt you, but where did you see that info? I'm no expert on property taxes, but near where I live yearly property tax is about $5,000 to $10,000 annually, and that's residential properties for upper middle / lower upper class ($250,000 to $500,000) type homes. It seems like quite a bargain to have to pay only $20,000 on a 6 or 7 million dollar property.

As far as occupation, I read once that Eve Anderson's husband was in Hawaii politics for a while. (And maybe business?) I didn't remember hearing that her step-mother was a billionaire. Considering that, I would say it's likely that money isn't a problem for the upkeep of the estate. But what do I know, and it's none of our business really. Maybe she just doesn't use the part of the property that beach visitors can see because Magnum fans come so often and she likes her privacy.

Anybody know approximately what age Mrs. Anderson is? I pictured around 80, but I based that on nothing really. Now that I see that her step-mother passed away this year at 84, 70 or younger seems more likely.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#133 Post by SelleckLover »

MBJR9
Commander

#134 Post by MBJR9 »

rubber chicken wrote:
MBJR9 wrote:Well, the yearly property tax is $20,000. The state valued it at $6.36mil for tax purposes but if it was actually sold it would easily bring $7.5mil, possibly even more.
I don't mean to sound like I doubt you, but where did you see that info? I'm no expert on property taxes, but near where I live yearly property tax is about $5,000 to $10,000 annually, and that's residential properties for upper middle / lower upper class ($250,000 to $500,000) type homes. It seems like quite a bargain to have to pay only $20,000 on a 6 or 7 million dollar property.

Anybody know approximately what age Mrs. Anderson is? I pictured around 80, but I based that on nothing really. Now that I see that her step-mother passed away this year at 84, 70 or younger seems more likely.
You must live in a very high tax rate area. My house is worth approx $250,000 and my property tax is just under $3,000. As for where I got my info, here it is...

As far as Eve's age, I'd say she's probably 65-70 although I don't have any hard info to back that up.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#135 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks MBJR9. Is that a state of Hawaii web site?

This area is probably one of the highest taxed in the state. As I said, I don't have a great deal of knowledge about property taxes, and zero about how it can vary by different states and counties. Is it possible that Hawaii state property tax only taxes the value of the home, and not the land? Because then it would make much more sense to me.