The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eeyore
Admiral

#121 Post by eeyore »

It looks like from the comparison above of the two photos of the driveways that the lawn had really deteriorated. It was much thicker, the sod was "taller" and it was so green! Heartbreaking to see such a fine home go to waste.
I remember reading a comment posted with the photos on the Pbase site from a lady who recalled how she and a friend as children had run of the estate. Either she or her friend was the daughter of the caretaker. She commented that the house was empty, no one was living there at the time, and I think she said it was in the 1950's. I have often wondered how Ms Anderson came to live at the property and at what age and if it was through her family or marriage. It would be interesting to have some history. Based on this, seems like someone moved in after the late 50's and must have kept the grounds in very good shape until the late 70's, 20 years or so.Unfortunately the comments over at Pbase have been updated and some of the older ones have been archived or deleted. This one I am quoting is now gone.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#122 Post by IslandHopper »

eeyore wrote:I have often wondered how Ms Anderson came to live at the property and at what age and if it was through her family or marriage. It would be interesting to have some history. Based on this, seems like someone moved in after the late 50's and must have kept the grounds in very good shape until the late 70's, 20 years or so.
I don't know what county the Anderson property is located, but the various deeds to the Anderson property are probably available on-line (as they are public records) in the respective county or city where the property is situated, e.g., Honolulu County Records, etc. The deeds should reveal exactly when Ms. Anderson was conveyed the property.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

eeyore
Admiral

#123 Post by eeyore »

It's Honolulu County. Last time I checked they didn't have those records online, you had to request copies in writing. :( I checked the Clerk's office, I was surprised they weren't available online.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#124 Post by SelleckLover »

Here is a post from the VM02 website from an Oahu local regarding the Eve Anderson estate:
It was reported on the old newsgroup that the land belongs to a trust. And it is well known that Eve Anderson is not a wealthy woman. She inherited.

I am assuming that any repairs and maintaining of the place is auhorised by a committee - - isn't that how trusts work????? That would explain why the place looks the way it does now that there is no production company to pay for upkeep of the garden.

Mutual friends tell me that Ms Anderson won't rent out the place for filming any more. It got to be not worth the money in aggrevation . . .

eeyore
Admiral

#125 Post by eeyore »

I'd like to know more about how a trust works, I've heard many versions. I have heard that if you are wealthy is is one way to protect your property from personal liability, almost like incorporating yourself if you open a business to protect your personal property. I have also heard that it is good to put your property into trust to make the transfer of title go quickly if you die and intend the property to go to someone else. If it is in trust, you die and the title can be transferred in a manner of weeks vs the months or years it might take under a traditional will. (this from Suze Orman)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#126 Post by golfmobile »

I got the H50 DVDs from Netflix and we've been watching them. The third episode we watched from the third season, "The Second Shot," has the pictures that were previously shown of the Eve Anderson Estate. Larry, bless his heart, as soon as McGarrett drove through the gate, said, "Isn't that Robin's Nest?" OMG! Now HE's recognizing it! Maybe that'll make him more willing to take movies of it when we fly over it and when we visit the tidal pool.

Anyway, I took some more screen shots of what was shown in the episode. Instead of posting them all here, and using up James' valuable space, I put them on Dropshots

here.

Look for the captions on each picture to explain what they are. I think the first picture to show will be McGarrett exiting his car in the parking area at the side door (which was never really used in MPI, I think, but was ALWAYS the entrance when the estate was used in H50); then just click on the other thumbnails to the right to see the pictures in larger format. Just be sure to read the captions for an explanation of what the picture illustrates.

What I wonder is if the interior shots on H50 were really the estate. There's always a quick cut-away after an apparent "entering" that would allow to actually meshing the shots so the interior scenes could be shot in a soundstage with similar accoutrements at the doors. However, if they really were in the estate, the estate's real interior rooms don't seem to have much decoration. The walls seem to be rather plain and bare, though the architectural elements of stairs, support brackets, wooden coffered ceiling (look above the stairway and below the landing) seem to be very intricate. Some of the interior MPI rooms seem to have more "personality." A very interesting combination -- to mesh the two together visually -- but I really can't picture it very well. I see the MPI interior sets too strongly to accept what seems to be a slightly more cramped actual interior -- I like the MPI entrance hall with wider and more sweeping staircase -- JMO.

In the pictures, I pointed out the decorative tiles (similar to Mexican tile, actually) on the stair risers. I don't remember if this was duplicated on the Robin's Nest stairs in scenes that show the stairs. Was it?

Anyway, I just found the tiling interesting, because it looks so much more Mexican (the painted tiles on the stair risers) and the hallway terra cotta tiles look like Sautilla tile from Mexico. But there's a LOT of red clay/dirt in Hawaii (Google "Red Dirt Shirts from Kauai"), so I guess those terra cotta tiles could be fired from native Hawaiian clay. Okay, it's just that I'm more used to seeing Mexican tile here (in the contiguous 48 states) than Hawaiian tile, okay?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

erock308
Fleet Admiral

Hawaii trip 2005

#127 Post by erock308 »

Me at the Estate in 2005
[/quote]
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

VM02
Rear Admiral

#128 Post by VM02 »

Is there anyone here with an artistic bent that can do a sketch of what the layout of the RM estate is suppossed to look like in the show (Main house, Guest House, Tennis Courts) vs what the Anderson Estate is actually like in real life? I'm having a hard time visualizing the relationship of the buildings.

Thanks!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#129 Post by J.J. Walters »

VM02, not that I've ever seen. The show provided us this drawing (in "J. Digger Doyle"), which makes things even more confusing...

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

VM02
Rear Admiral

#130 Post by VM02 »

So the Guest house is suppossed to be one of the two buildings near erin greys hand? Which one? Whats the other one? And if it is, why does TM always go under the covered driveway thing to get to the guest house?

And when folks drop over the wall near the main gate they drop into the orchard scruff near the top of the map?

And there are two gate houses.

You're right I'm even more confused.

MadBuck0186
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Eve Anderson Estate..Property Appraisers Web Site

#131 Post by MadBuck0186 »

I found the Oahu, HI Property Appraisers web site. It showed the assessed value of the property as 6.5Mil. I do not have the web site. I goggled Oahu, HI Property Appraisers and several links come up. Check a few out and when you find the correct one you put the address in and whola! I see if I can narrow it down foe ya!!

MadBuck0186
SDM

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#132 Post by J.J. Walters »

VM02 wrote:Is there anyone here with an artistic bent that can do a sketch of what the layout of the RM estate is suppossed to look like in the show (Main house, Guest House, Tennis Courts) vs what the Anderson Estate is actually like in real life? I'm having a hard time visualizing the relationship of the buildings.

Thanks!
Setting aside that brief shot of the estate map in "J. Digger Doyle", as seen in the show, everything is the same except for the guest house. The building used for the guest house is actually a boat house, very close to the water. In the show, they usually seem to try and make the guest house farther away from the water, on the other side of the estate. This is usually accomplished by shots of Magnum coming and going to and from the guest house via that covered passageway at the end of the driveway.

What makes things really confusing for even the casual viewer is that they occasionally would show shots of the guest house where it is very clear it is right by the ocean! If you know where the driveway and covered passageway is in relation to the ocean, you soon realize that it makes no sense to go that way to get to the guest house! Going that way is in the exact opposite direction of where it is located!

This leads the viewer to only one logical explanation...... a teleportation device.

You go through the covered passageway, turn right, and there it is. It instantly transports you to the other side of the estate, right next to the guest house. Presumably there is also one behind the guest house which can take you back to the covered passageway. ;)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#133 Post by rubber chicken »

I have it on good authority that he used a Mario Brothers warp tube. Japanese military surplus I think.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#134 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow! Magnum and science fiction all rolled into one! Who knew?! :D LOL!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#135 Post by J.J. Walters »

Check out this great watercolor painting of the tidal pool, sea wall and Rabbit Island: http://southernbreeze.net/tour040.htm .

Gorgeous!