Revell TC's Hughes 500D

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

Revell TC's Hughes 500D

#1 Post by Danno »

Does anyone have a spare (and is willing to sell) boxed Revell model of TC's Hughes 500D?

I see them on eBay from time to time but keep missing out! :?

Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by grapeshot »

Oh wow. I didn't know they made those. That's totally awesome!!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Miss Q »

There are several Hughes 500D's on ebay, however only 1 has the MPI paint scheme and its pricy.... If you want just the military version of the copter looks like the e-stores are your best bet.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Vanity »

Hi Guys,

I have just sent the request to Revell 's HeadQuarters in Germany.
I guess I shall know more within a few days, and will pass you the info.

'Till then...Aloha
I know what you're thinking...

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Danno »

Vanity wrote:Hi Guys,

I have just sent the request to Revell 's HeadQuarters in Germany.
I guess I shall know more within a few days, and will pass you the info.

'Till then...Aloha
Vanity, you mean you've asked Revell whether they'll make more of them?

On a tangent, something that surprised me in reading up on the Hughes 500D was that the funky paint scheme that TC has on his bird is actually a standard paint scheme. They obviously then adapted this for the Island Hoppers van and the rest of the Island Hoppers identity.

Dang, it's a cool chopper... 8)
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Vanity »

Dan, yes, that's exactly what I've asked them.
Told them there were many MPI fans out there who grew up with the show and who now still are addicted to it but cannot ghet hold of either the chopper or the Ferrari.
Still waiting to hear from them though.

As far as the Island Hoppers paint scheme, Hughes Helicopters used to have several color schemes with the same layout. If I remember well, one was blue & red stripes on a silver background.

By the way,should there be any helicopter fans out here, you can download TC's chopper with Robin's Nest for the Flight Simulator 2004.
I got snaphots of it only...loks pretty cool.

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Vanity »

Aloha MPI Fans,

While I'm still waiting for Amazon to deliver my season 6, I received the following reply from Revell in regards to TC's chopper:

Your product proposals and comments are collected in our new-items-proposal-list. Due to the large number of comments and letters we receive, it is not possible to include all the products proposed.
We do our best to offer a comprehensive range covering various themes.

Nevertheless we thank you very much for your suggestions and we will include them into our proposal list for the coming years.

Does not mean much, so I guess I'll be calling them again from time to time to see where they stand.

So long

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#8 Post by N1095A »

It should be noted that the helicopter in the kit is not a Hughes 500D. It is a 500 C (Y-tail), and the rear doors have tha small half windows. The kit is molded in brown, and the orange and yellow stripes are decals. It's not a great representation of TC's chopper. There are other more accurate 500 Ds available. Even in 1/24th and 1/18th scale.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Mahalo
Ensign

#9 Post by Mahalo »

Dan,
I have 3-4 of these kits most are sealed,
I also have 2 Vanagon's (t.c. van)
I also have 8 Ferrari 308gts.
I have recently purchased a carved wooden model of T.C helicopter the blade's are approx two foot across and the helicopter is in full Island Hoppers paint scheme.
If you are serious let me know.

Mahalo

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

Has anyone actually put one of these Revell models together? The one I got, still sealed in the box (so we assume all the pieces are there), doesn't fit together well at all. The instructions are inadequate for us beginners, and we are just having a very hard time assembling the helo. We can't figure out how to attach the main rotor. There are all these little pieces you put together, stacking them on top of each other to fit together, which we can figure out, but then there's no hole in which to insert and fit the vertical bar holding all the pieces. ???

I'm about to give up and consider this a wasted $35, which collectible model, I guess, I shouldn't have taken out of the box!

Mahalo, I'd love to see a picture of your wooden model. Can you post a picture or direct us to a site from which you bought your model? I've seen wooden ones on eBay (for about $58 each, I think) but they aren't painted like TC's.

golf
"Portside, buddy."