Robin's Nest from the air.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jaybird
Admiral

Robin's Nest from the air.

#1 Post by Jaybird »

Try flying over it on Google Earth and from different angles. It is well identified as a landmark. In case you aren't sure, it is on the opposite side of Diamond Head from Waikiki heading up the coast towards Kailua. Pretend you are aboard the Hughes 500D of Island Hoppers! 8)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#2 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'd love to have the cash to go and get a private helo filght over all of the familiar sights for the show.

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by tidal pool »

TS or NO MOVIE!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

That will have to do me for now!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

HOPEFULLY, if we are still able to go in September, we will get VIDEO of flying over. Those pbase photos were taken from a Cessna 172, if I recall. If our plans work as I hope they will, I'll be flying the Robinson 44 and Larry will be filming as we go over.

On another note, however, from one of those pictures:

WHAT is the blue "pool" in the upper left corner of the picture?

And if this is high tide, there virtually IS no beach, then, half the time. Did we EVER see it in that condition during MPI? I don't recall anything but a beach always there.

And where is the square rock? I always got the impression from the show that it was straight out from the gate, almost. Looking at the aerials on that pbase site, it appears to be much farther northwest of the gate entrance to the beach.

Also, these are pictures from nearly 6 years ago. It's a lot more rundown now, and even then in 2002 the grass looked pretty brown -- not at all like the lush grounds from H5O and MPI. Sadder still . . . .

Thoughts?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by tidal pool »

The blue "pool" looks like a tarp covering mulch.

Square rock may be just out of the photo at the bottom.

I would think that the high tide is normal.
TS or NO MOVIE!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

I think that the blue is a tarp covering something. Some kind of construction, or debris?

About the tide, I've thought before that the beach shots would have had to have been scheduled around low tide times. It's also possible that some of the sand has been washed into the tidal pool or elsewhere, letting the high tide mark appear higher.

Just my thoughts.

A Lake Superior beach where I used to go backpacking in Canada had been changed drastically one time I went there. It used to slope perfectly down to the water, with the beach maybe 40 feet wide. But the last time I went, all of it was gone except for maybe 10 feet near the top, and it just dropped vertically into the lake. The water level in the great lakes do change slightly though, so that could have been a reason.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#8 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, a little more analysis of those pictures:

Based on the above, doesn't the arrow seem to point to the square stone? Which places it rather far from the gate. Ditto below (I did NOT Photoshop this square in -- this is from that guy's pictures on the pbase site! If you doubt me, go back to the link above and look at his pictures.):

So this rather thoroughly corrupts the scenes from "No Need to Know" when Magnum and the other guy (or whoever it was) were standing on the grounds looking out at the girls swimming around and sitting on the rock. To be looking straight out at anyone on the rock (which was the impression I got from the episode), they would have had to have been down by the guest house, not in the main grounds (well, technically, I guess, they could have been at the "foot" of the tennis courts, but the shot of them did not show them there -- it showed them with the house in the background -- where I pointed the red arrow -- that's where it looked like they were, to me). I may be mis-remembering this scene slightly, but then when Magnum swam out there, he was calling back to the guys on the grounds, looking straight toward the shore, not to his far left -- which would have been virtually impossible from the actual location of the square stone. Right?

However, these shots -- and this placement/identification of the square stone -- tends to explain how they always had a beach. Moving northwest up the beach, well, there IS a beach to film the actors on, even at high tide, though not much of a beach, but then it did look rather "narrow" in a lot of the beach shots -- probably half had the narrow beach and the other half the wider beach -- intriguing to try to recreate the scenes from the show in viewing what is actually THERE. Of course, then there's the question of how they got there -- I don't see them wading through the water at the gate. Wasn't there something about how they had access to the property next door (now the Shriners' place for rentals for weddings, etc.) where they kept equipment? If they had access there, then they could certainly access the northern part of the beach from there too. Perhaps we always just thought that they just stored stuff there, then carried it "over land" to the grounds for shooting exterior shots around the residences. But when you think about it, they also probably just moved straight down to the beach and filmed there.

This does make more sense, geographically, doesn't it?

Boy, it is really rather amazing how fascinating it is to try to correlate how the actual property does or does NOT fit with the ACTUAL estate.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

golf - yeah, hate to say it, but the square concrete structure has always been there. :wink: By the by, I'm going to dub the structure the "water perch" for my use at least. I never know what to call it so I'll just give it a somewhat creative name.

About No Need to Know (1.5), I checked the dvd and I think you're melding two scenes together. The scene at night where Magnum is talking to the other guy in the middle of the yard doesn't show them looking at the girls. They talk and then Magnum walks off to the beach. The scene where the girls are shown is when Magnum is talking on the phone with Rick, and looks out his bedroom window (the one to the right of the bed) and sees the girls frolicking on the water perch.

James and I forgot about a 20 x 12 foot high cinderblock wall, so don't be too upset your placement of the water perch wasn't exact. :)

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#10 Post by tidal pool »

golf,

I'm convinced that the concrete structure has moved due to global warming. :shock:

What the heck is that thing anyway? :?
TS or NO MOVIE!

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Lily »

Was about to ask the same question re what is this piece of concrete?
Possibly from a previous landing dock or boat ramp? I sat on the concrete block this year when I was there, and cant remember it always being there?

Am I dreaming, or in some of the episodes of Magnum, standing on the estate looking out to the ocean, to the left, was there a landing dock coming from another property at one time... possibly in earlier series?

Oh, and when I was there this year, the tide indeed came right up to all the properties concrete walls.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

I think it might have been James that posted a picture from Hawaii 5-0 that showed something that looked like it might have been a dock running by the "water perch". You can still see remnants of a lava rock formation under the water where that dock would have been located. There is also a gate on the beach that is in front of the boat/guest house that might be confusing Golf and the "water perch" is located there.

Icepick
Admiral

#13 Post by Icepick »

When I was there in Autumn the water was back where you would normally see it during the show. What I did notice is that this particular area at the Tidal Pool is under beach erosion and needs repairing - as you can really tell with the amount of sand up around the gate. You can see from that aerial shot the sand drifts westward down the beach. I reckon the nature of the wall at this corner of the property acts as an unnatural barrier for the tiny bit of current there.

In regards to the cement block thing. It's always been in the same place as far as I know and I think it had to do with something when this location was used as a turtle farm. A solid structure for mooring something? Farms like this would probably need a pier to walk out on so perhaps this was a part of that.

Here is pretty much exactly how the Tidal Pool looked on two separate visits in Oct. Photo from Thomas' page at Pbase -
http://i30.tinypic.com/71kb6f.jpg
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Lily »

Icepick..when we are talking turtle farm, how long ago would this be then?

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Coops »

Wasn't that back in the 30's or thereabouts?