Title Sequences

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Title Sequences

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Several people have inquired about information regarding the title sequences, namely which episode each of the key shots is from. I now have the time to do this (one season at a time), but I'm going to need help from some fellow "Mag Heads". Some of these shots I just can't ID!

As I go through each season (the title sequence for each season is slightly different), I'm going to post here the shots I can't ID, in hopes that somebody else can. Here goes....

Season One

Pic A (The Pilot, right? Why o why can't I remember where this is from?!)
Pic B
Pic C
Pic D
Pic E

Note: Season One had two different opening title sequences. The original, which ran with the original Ian Freebairn-Smith theme song will be added later. This is for the standard opening title sequence, which, for Season One, started with Thicker than Blood.

Thanks!
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Thu May 03, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Miss Q »

Pic A - Yes, the pilot... he is out on the cement post in the tidal pool and he is thinking LeBulis familiar, cut to the scene of him pulling out his gun from the closet and checking the magazine... he says as he is cocking the gun 'I know who LeBul is' and he runs up and out of the apartment
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by grapeshot »

I just happened to rewatch the episode that Pic E is from today. (That's the one of Rick) It's from "Never Again...Never Again" (1.7).
Magnum decides to investigate the old couple's doctor and enlists Rick's support in gaining access to the doctor's house. Rick pretends to be a sushi delivery guy to act as a diversion while Magnum sneaks into the house through the back door.

Rick: "I don't like this; it stinks."
Magnum: "Well, you should've brought fresh sushi."

When Rick rings the doorbell at the pre-arranged time, he hollers, "Ahi sushi delivery. Your wish for fish come true."

Maybe those screen shots could be posted on the website, sort of like a shot-by-shot display, with a caption explaining the episode they're from and the circumstances of the scene. Maybe even a quote from that scene, or that episode, if appropriate. (Heh, I'd like to see what the description and the quote would be for the classic bikini-clad-bottom-in-the-tidal-pool scene. As many times as I've seen it, it always makes me chuckle.)

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#4 Post by Shermy »

Pic D is from Missing In Action, and occurs while Magnum is complimenting T.C.'s mechanical skills. ("You'll loan me ten?! You OWE me fifty!!")

The following two are just the first thing that popped into my head regarding each, so I'm not really sure of either.

Pic B - Magnum racing in Curse of the King Kamehameha Club

Pic C - The car that was tailing Magnum in the Pilot. After it crashes, he decides the best thing he can do is split before the cops arrive.

Waltstasz
Admiral

#5 Post by Waltstasz »

More on Pic C - it is the car from the pilot, but I don't think that shot appears in the episode. I'm pretty sure that the car explodes after it falls off an embankment, not while it's on the road.

Nice work, everyone!
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome guys. Thanks!

I'm not sure why I blanked on some of those, especially the "Clip Slam"?! So many scenes, so many shots. ;)
grapeshot wrote:Maybe those screen shots could be posted on the website, sort of like a shot-by-shot display, with a caption explaining the episode they're from and the circumstances of the scene. Maybe even a quote from that scene, or that episode, if appropriate. (Heh, I'd like to see what the description and the quote would be for the classic bikini-clad-bottom-in-the-tidal-pool scene. As many times as I've seen it, it always makes me chuckle.)
Yes, I wasn't very clear in my OP. I'm going to be adding this to the site, as a List. Actually, Season One is already up (link) . Again, all suggestions and comments are welcome. If you have a better "Shot Name", or anything, I'd be happy to update the page(s).
Waltstasz wrote:More on Pic C - it is the car from the pilot, but I don't think that shot appears in the episode. I'm pretty sure that the car explodes after it falls off an embankment, not while it's on the road.
And right you are Walt! I just checked out the scene. They only show the car after it has cleared the railing! Wow, this makes this a very interesting shot for the title sequence. They somehow blasted the car up and over the railing (which in and of itself is very cool) with some kind of hydraulic masked in smoke, in order to get the car over the railing and down the steep embankment. They probably didn't want to have to take out the railing, so they came up with a cool alternative! The car then flipped down the hill, over the lava rocks, and exploded. Heh, that car took a helluva beating!

I have one more from Season One which needs an ID:

Pic F

This is the first clip shown in the title sequence, after the chopper "swoops down". Is this from an episode, or not?
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Thu May 03, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

And moving on to Season Two:

Pic G
Pic H
Pic I (The Woman on the Beach?)
Pic J (Dead Man's Channel?)

These I can't ID, either. :oops:
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri May 04, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt J
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by Matt J »

G and H are both from Three Minus Two and I and J you have right.

Matt J

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#9 Post by Shermy »

Actually, I think J might be an alternate version of the scene from Dead Man's Channel. In the title sequence, Rick gives a thumbs up, but he waves in the actual episode.

Of course, it could be from an earlier part of the episode, instead of the closing scene (where Magnum falls into the water). Then again, I could be remembering the whole thing incorrectly! :lol:

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

The funny thing about "Pic C" is that when the car explodes and launches 10 feet into the air you can see the detonation cord connected to the bottom of the car. As the car rises the cord is still connected. It's surprising that they would use this clip in the opening credits considering the det-cord is so obvious, and the fact that they didn't have this shot in the actual episode (Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii). I always assumed they didn't use this clip in the actual episode because the det-cord is so clearly visible.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok, Season Two is up. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Shots from Season Three I can't ID:

Pic K
Pic L

grapeshot wrote:(Heh, I'd like to see what the description and the quote would be for the classic bikini-clad-bottom-in-the-tidal-pool scene. As many times as I've seen it, it always makes me chuckle.)
Definitely one of the best "shots" ever! I went with "Cheek Peek", but I'm open to other suggestions. ;)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

James, "Pic L" is actually from Season 2; episode "Three Minus Two." Remember when TC has Robin's camera and was posing as Mr. Alex. TC took the shot of Rick while Rick was preparing to open for lunch at the KKC. TC deemed this shot, "the essence of the man."
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Tran Quoc Jones
Lieutenant

#13 Post by Tran Quoc Jones »

I'm pretty sure pic K comes from season two's "Texas Lightning."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome, thanks.

Seasons Three, Four and Five are up. The title sequences are exactly the same. Season Six introduces eleven new shots!

Shots I can't ID from Season Six:

Pic M
Pic N
Pic O
Pic P

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#15 Post by Doc Ibold »

James,

You sure "O" is from Season Six?

I am 100% positive that that one is from "Under World" in season 5, right after TC drops off the "honeymooners" on Maui and before he picks up the package (subsequent to his being shot down and crashing)