Theme song - interesting fact

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#16 Post by Doc Ibold »

randy01 wrote:
James J. Walters wrote: I guess it could be, but they reference Freebairn-Smith and the song description fits the original theme song better than the Post one.
Yes. What I mean is, I suspect the writer used information based on the first theme song. Maybe he had to make a choice between the "first" or the "second," and he may have chosen the first arbitrarily, without doing enough research.

I haven't heard the first one. I'm sure it's not bad.
Its not TERRIBLE, but when you watch the show and you hear the opening theme song (first one until ep 10 (don't quote me on that)), it feels like you're on "The Price Is Right" or some 70's sitcom. The Mike Post theme really gets you in the mood. Whenever I watch my DVDs, I get the opening bars and it totally pumps you up for the episode (and I fast forward through the credits until the "wink"). The "Dun Don Uhhhhhhh" works just fine for me, and I know its Magnum Time!

randy01
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#17 Post by randy01 »

James J. Walters wrote:I think it was done by a "committee" at IGN, not one person. In any event, Magnum Mania's got you covered on the original theme song. Slap on some shades, light up a smoke and get down with the sonic jazz sounds of Ian Freebairn-Smith. Can ya dig that funky fuzz bass and horns, man? ;)

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Theme_Son ... ended.html
Thanks. I've been wanting to hear that. I plan to buy a DVD but probably not the first season. The song is pretty good, but I'm glad they redid it. (It actually sounds a little like CHiPs which Mike had done a few years earlier.) It also reminds me of Dallas (or some other show). It would fit with a Hawaii-themed show, but it's a little too laid back for the Magnum character and his buddie war vets. They needed something more rockin'.

My favorite Mike Post theme was "Rockford Files."
Randy01

randy01
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#18 Post by randy01 »

Here is the Rockford theme for anyone interested.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MNzabxjknJo
Randy01

Loach
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#19 Post by Loach »

I'm with you, james. I actually liked the Freebairn-Smith version too. When I first found the site, I downloaded the MP3 from the site and put it on my iPod. I've been looking for this theme for a long time. However, I do agree the the "iconic" version is better suited to the show. It does start it off on the right footing with the driving beat and more "timely" sound.

randy01
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#20 Post by randy01 »

The fact that the first one sounded a little like Mike Post's own "CHiPs" theme makes it seem like the producers might have asked for a Mike Post style of song. When they finally got Post to do a song, he came up with something completely different and original.
Randy01

JonnyDaytona
Captain

Re: Theme song - interesting fact

#21 Post by JonnyDaytona »

James J. Walters wrote:
randy01 wrote:He said that it was easy for him to write because he had known Tom Selleck all through public school. They grew up together.
Yeah, they were in the same Class ('62) at Grant High School, along with Mickey Dolenz (of The Monkees).

I must be one of the few people who really like the Freebairn-Smith original theme song. It's a wonderful jazz piece with a great melody. I especially love the bass line and those horns.

Here's a strange piece of trivia for you. IGN, the multimedia news and review website, put out a list of their "Top 50 TV Theme Songs of All-Time". MPI came in at #22, but what is really interesting (shocking) is that they picked the ORIGINAL THEME SONG, not the Mike Post one! :shock:

http://music.ign.com/articles/704/704547p3.html
Crafted by Ian Freebairn-Smith ... went for a borderline funk-lite-cum-sweeping instrumental vibe with this instrumental ditty that utilizes plenty of cascading chicka-chicka guitar and swooning strings to create a memorable sonic romp.

No you aren't alone, I like the original theme as well. It actually gets stuck in my head sometimes. Would it have held up over time? absolutely not.....is it better? No. But it has a certain charm that can't be denied. I am really glad they left the original episodes unmolested for the DVD releases. I wouldn't mind having that on MP3 actually...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

Jonny, you can get the MP3 from the 'Audio' section of the site, under 'MPI Theme Songs'.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#23 Post by JonnyDaytona »

James J. Walters wrote:Jonny, you can get the MP3 from the 'Audio' section of the site, under 'MPI Theme Songs'.
Awesome. Thanks!
"Ivan?......Did you see the sunrise?'

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Coops »

randy01 wrote:Here is the Rockford theme for anyone interested.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MNzabxjknJo
Awesome, awesome theme song! Love it!

This one is also one of my fave's.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IDhz_mVcVCQ

Loach
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#25 Post by Loach »

Here's an interesting note: Simon & Simon also changed their theme song after Season 1. Here's a link to the original:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vfYgHeJ8WY8&feature=related

This original theme fits better with Simon & Simon than the original Magnum theme fit with its show. Both were changed to the more "iconic" theme that we all know around the same time I think. Makes you wonder what the network was thinking....

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#26 Post by JonnyDaytona »

Loach wrote:Here's an interesting note: Simon & Simon also changed their theme song after Season 1. Here's a link to the original:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vfYgHeJ8WY8&feature=related

This original theme fits better with Simon & Simon than the original Magnum theme fit with its show. Both were changed to the more "iconic" theme that we all know around the same time I think. Makes you wonder what the network was thinking....
I agree, the original S&S theme suited the show quite well. That's the nice thing about seeing them on Hulu.com without the syndication edits.
"Ivan?......Did you see the sunrise?'

randy01
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#27 Post by randy01 »

James J. Walters wrote:Jonny, you can get the MP3 from the 'Audio' section of the site, under 'MPI Theme Songs'.
Thanks for the tip. I am going to put the Freebairn-Smith song on my MP3 as soon as I can get my CD's organized.
Randy01