Collecting Magnum Stuff

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#196 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

That's a heck of a collectiom. Mine pales in comparison, but I am trying to build it up!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#197 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, what a collection N! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#198 Post by SelleckLover »

N1095A,

I don't think your post of your collection was self-serving! I think of it as sharing your collection with people who can TRULY appreciate it. Instead of showing it to someone that kind of gives you a pitiful look and says, "How nice for you!", you are showing it to people that you know will say, "Wow, way cool!".

And BTW, "Wow!!! Way cool, N!" :D

SL

Icepick
Admiral

#199 Post by Icepick »

Holy, what a collection! Superb!

Hey, what's the process for sorting out a Da Nang cap again?
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

Icepick
Admiral

#200 Post by Icepick »

M1911A1 wrote:I have just found "The Blazer Badge of The West Yorkshire Regiment" (AUB 335).
That would be 8) on a leather jacket.
That site has an amazing amount of badges. I found my grandfather's regiment! I wonder how professional that business is, it looks like they haven't updated it in a long time.
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#201 Post by JonnyDaytona »

It always amazed me that a show as popular as Magnum seemed to have so few products at the time. I remember as a kid wanting the action figure and car set (from LJN) I saw it once at a K-Mart when I was young and visiting the US, but could not find one in Canada. I would still love to get even a loose set. I do recall having a die cast (Corgi?) car and my friend having a car with a key that was put in the back, which made it go.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#202 Post by golfmobile »

SelleckLover,

I agree with you. And I think you phrased it VERY GRACIOUSLY!! It's not bragging or showing off here to provide a list or picture of a collection. There are so many people who would stare at you blankly if you showed a collection to them because they just don't "get" it -- everyone here does, so showing a collection here is cause of celebration and shared enjoyment (and maybe a little envy . . .).

I think it's just great that we have people here who can appreciate it. I still haven't had my parents over to my house because I haven't figured out how to explain the two large helicopters on top of my entertainment unit. (And I have another one coming that I'm looking forward to painting.) Most are at my office, along with my little Ferraris:

golf
Last edited by golfmobile on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#203 Post by N1095A »

Icepick wrote: Hey, what's the process for sorting out a Da Nang cap again?
I'm not sure what you mean??

By the way I have the Ray Ban Outdoorsman sun glasses as well, but they were in the wife's car when I took the photo.

I bought the blue cap at the Foot Locker store in my local mall. I bought the patch from http://www.prohatsandpatches.com. They also have caps directly embroidered, but they use a shiny gold thread that looks, well, not right, and they also tend to embroider on black caps rather than blue. my first DaNang cap arrived black with the metallic gold thread. It's now in the trash.

Hey GOLF, I love all the helicopters. I don't know if I've mentioned it, but I'm kind of a helicopter junkie. BTW, I miss the MGI installments.
Last edited by N1095A on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#204 Post by golfmobile »

N1095A,

I'm rather a helicopter junkie too, but mostly interested in the MD500 like TC's. I just recently got a little boy's watch made by Gymboree that has an MD500 on the face (but my wrist measurement is less than 6.5 inches, so I can wear it comfortably). It's plastic and looks like a Swatch watch, and if I could figure out a way to paint the heli on its face to look like TC's, I would, but I figure I just better leave it alone and be happy to wear a watch with a MD500 on its face. Right now I just need a MD500 between the GI Joe size (about 40" including rotors) and my non-to-scale one that's about 18" long.

As for my official MPI stuff, I don't have that much.

One man's parrot shirt in red
One man's parrot shirt in black and purple (it was more fun to win these on eBay than to just go to the Paradise Found website and buy them outright)
One ladies' parrot shirt in red
One ladies' dress in the red parrot fabric (These two I broke down and bought from Paradise Found)
The Revell T.C.'s helicopter (which I gave to Larry to put together -- wrong choice -- what parts he didn't break, he lost . . . so it's just in pieces in the box -- no value there anymore)
The Larry Manetti book

I think MGI, Rick GI, TC GI, and Mme. Alex. Higgins don't count as official MPI stuff, along with the GI Joe Little Bird heli I painted to be like Island Hoppers (see picture above).

My cheapo Pepsi-look dive watches (one man's watch, which is as wide as my entire wrist [$20 on eBay]; one ladies' Invicta [$65 from discountwatch.com], which has really too small a face for my preference) "look the part" but they're probably technically poor substitutes, but all I could afford, as I didn't really need any more watches).

The Star Cars (like Matchbox, I guess) T.C.'s helicopter, which isn't ANYTHING like the MD500, only the paint job vaguely resembles Island Hoppers, and the Star Cars Magnum P.I. Ferrari, plus all the other little red 308s.

I think that's it for me.

Sorry MGI hasn't been doing anything interesting lately. I've been selling vintage dolls on eBay to finance our Hawaii trip in September, and I suppose I could have taken pictures of him with "girlfriends" dressed up in 1950s formals, but that might have been a tad forced. Otherwise, I made a bargello needlepoint piece to recover a footstool:

which I think he finds of minimal interest, based on the expression on his face above. :cry: :( :? :wink:

And just for yuks, here he is with a doll I sold on eBay for $600 (hopefully that'll help pay for the Robinson 44 flight in Hawaii!!):

He looks a tad tall for her, but that's what I'd look like, standing beside TS (I WISH I could stand beside him!!).

So for now, he's just waiting for the Hawaii trip so I can take pictures of him at all the MPI locations!

golf

P.S. As to the picture above with the doll and MGI -- that DOESN'T mean I think I'm as pretty as that doll -- I'm not! Just that her height relative to MGI would be about my height relative to TS!
"Portside, buddy."

Carmen
MPI

#205 Post by Carmen »

You`re really that small, Golf? - Just like me!!
Keep it coming guys, I`d love to see more.
Why not buy the Anderson Estate together? Then we find us a Major Domo (Higgins-look-alike) and spend our vacations there. It would be crowded sometimes, but that only means more fun I guess.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#206 Post by N1095A »

Golf, The MD 500 is my favorite as well. Light, fast and manouverable. My second favorite would be the Bell 206B Jetranger. I'm really impressed by your helis. I can't manage to finish one in Island Hoppers colors. You may remember I started it last year. It's been in the box with only two stripes painted since last summer.

Hey, if MGI gets to Hawaii, you have to get a picture of him sitting on the block in the tidal pool.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Icepick
Admiral

#207 Post by Icepick »

N1095A wrote:I'm not sure what you mean??

The DaNang cap is a navy blue Flexfit. I bought the patch from http://www.prohatsandpatches.com. They also have caps directly embroidered, but they use a shiny gold thread that looks, well, not right.
Sorry, what I meant was where to get one. I thought you had got it somewhere else than the Pro Hats place. So is it better to get the patch or is the embroidery that bad looking? And do you know off hand if the caps on the show were patches or embroidered?

Carmen
MPI

#208 Post by Carmen »

And do you know off hand if the caps on the show were patches or embroidered?
To me it looks like Magnums were patched, TC`s embroidered; I always thought they just placed it on the Tigers cap for TM. I still search for a scene where both (Tigers and VMO2) can be seen to prove I am wrong, so far I haven`t.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

VM02
Rear Admiral

#209 Post by VM02 »

Where does one get a VMO2 hat?

Icepick
Admiral

#210 Post by Icepick »

N1095A has the info posted above. You can flick through that site to see the variations.