The Sight of This Makes Me Sad

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Sight of This Makes Me Sad

#16 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:56 am
Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:05 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:32 am
Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:38 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:04 pm
This looks at least a few years old. The estate seems to be in its old state, not being worked on yet. How I remember it from my 2018 visit.
I agree. This definitely shows the sea walls before they were raised and reinforced. My guess is that it was after demolition of Pahonu, but before any new construction began… sort of a tribute to what was lost.
Does anyone know if the company that demolished the estate sold off bricks or what not as souvenirs? I would have were I them, a revenue stream that costs nothing.
I still get sad over the destruction of such a beautiful home, I think a lot of towns would have given it some sort of protected status.
Would it have generated enough interest/income as part of a tourist deal like Graceland? Not just because of it's connection to TV series and movies but as an example of a beautiful
period estate.
Perhaps these questions have been answered elsewhere but I don't recall offhand, I am totally housebound after leg surgery and along with the drugs - at doctors direction - I am not at
my sharpest. So after avoiding Magnum for some 5 years - to avoid becoming overly familiar - I am back watching it and it provides a welcome distraction.
I am really enjoying and focusing on Higgins, Hillerman should have won 3 or 4 Emmy awards for the role, he carved out his own niche to such an extent that I dare say most leading man
stars would not have allowed it. Selleck deserves a lot of credit for doing so, especially as Hillerman was a better actor and Selleck could have had him reined in, instead of clearly
relishing what Hillerman brought to the role.
Like Jackie Gleason appreciating Art Carney or Carol Burnett letting Tim Conway go off script and steal their skits. Uncle Miltie Berle would have canned Conway on day one for taking
the focus off him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luther has the worst idea since Great Granddad Gillis gave 2 free tickets to Mrs. Lincoln to see "Our American Cousin" at Fords Theater -
Luther: "Find anything out yet from Ice Man?"
Rick: "It's Ice Pick."
Luther: "What's the difference, the man's a bum. I'm kind of inclined to sneak into his steam bath and snap his towel, ya know what I mean?"
Hey Dobie,
I wish you the best on your recovery and enjoy the rewatch!

Most places in the US have very little in the way of preservation laws and some nothing at all. There are a few standouts with Boston and Philadelphia coming to mind as having very rigorous protections in several very historic neighborhoods. Most other places that do have some laws, like LA or my Long Beach, are basically of the opt in variety. Property owners must apply for historic designation. Occasionally groups of homeowners apply and a historic designation zone is created, but most designations are for individual properties. In California, that also gets them a property tax break under the Mills Act, but of course also limits what they can do with their own property. That last part is the sticking point for many. It also limits potential future buyers in the market and thus affects the value.

It has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, Ms. Anderson was protecting her property value not only by applying and paying for the permits to raise and reinforce the sea walls, but also by NOT applying for protection of the structures as historic. These two moves opened up the property to significant future development. Few remember that the property was first listed at a higher price, by a couple of million if I recall correctly. The degradation of the main house was significant by that point and it was basically for land value with its location when it sold. Sad but true for all of us fans.
Hi Pahonu,
Thank you for sharing the big picture and kind words regarding my health.
The area where the estate was, is it akin to the Garden District in New Orleans, a whole neighborhood of beautiful homes abutting each other? I don't think on Magnum or Hawaii Five-O
that we were ever shown from seaside, a panoramic view of the estate with the ones nearby.
On the Andy Griffith Show we got to see the Taylor abode, the surrounding neighborhood, one got a sense of place. On Magnum we'd get a tight shot of the entrance - if it was the real entryway -
and a roadway, period.
Perhaps because the neighbors may have felt it to be an intrusion to show more?
Dobie, there's plenty of videos on YouTube that show some of the properties on either side of Robin's Nest, shot from the tidal pool. They're basically ocean front properties, similar to Robin's Nest. For the filming of the actual series it was intentional that they didn't show where Robin's Nest begins and ends or show long shots of the estate because if you recall they had created an illusion early on that the estate/grounds is supposed to be massive (can't remember how many acres). In reality the grounds are not that big. Certainly not the spread that is implied in the series. One thing that always bothered me though is how haphazard they were with the geography of the estate. Not only do they say it's on the North Shore (which it's not) but they also use some bogus street for its location (can't remember what the street was supposed to be). I suppose changing the street makes sense unless you want gawking crowds and tourists there all the time but they didn't have to call it the North Shore. But whatever - I don't think they really could keep that place secret. I doubt folks in the 80s who lived on Oahu didn't know where they filmed the show. Locals must have recognized the place and the tidal pool and certainly there must have been film crews entering and leaving and maybe even stationed outside the main gate on Kalanianaole Hwy. You can't hide something like that for 8 years. I'm sure word got around.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#17 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:56 am
Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:05 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:32 am
Pahonu wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:38 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:04 pm
This looks at least a few years old. The estate seems to be in its old state, not being worked on yet. How I remember it from my 2018 visit.
I agree. This definitely shows the sea walls before they were raised and reinforced. My guess is that it was after demolition of Pahonu, but before any new construction began… sort of a tribute to what was lost.
Does anyone know if the company that demolished the estate sold off bricks or what not as souvenirs? I would have were I them, a revenue stream that costs nothing.
I still get sad over the destruction of such a beautiful home, I think a lot of towns would have given it some sort of protected status.
Would it have generated enough interest/income as part of a tourist deal like Graceland? Not just because of it's connection to TV series and movies but as an example of a beautiful
period estate.
Perhaps these questions have been answered elsewhere but I don't recall offhand, I am totally housebound after leg surgery and along with the drugs - at doctors direction - I am not at
my sharpest. So after avoiding Magnum for some 5 years - to avoid becoming overly familiar - I am back watching it and it provides a welcome distraction.
I am really enjoying and focusing on Higgins, Hillerman should have won 3 or 4 Emmy awards for the role, he carved out his own niche to such an extent that I dare say most leading man
stars would not have allowed it. Selleck deserves a lot of credit for doing so, especially as Hillerman was a better actor and Selleck could have had him reined in, instead of clearly
relishing what Hillerman brought to the role.
Like Jackie Gleason appreciating Art Carney or Carol Burnett letting Tim Conway go off script and steal their skits. Uncle Miltie Berle would have canned Conway on day one for taking
the focus off him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luther has the worst idea since Great Granddad Gillis gave 2 free tickets to Mrs. Lincoln to see "Our American Cousin" at Fords Theater -
Luther: "Find anything out yet from Ice Man?"
Rick: "It's Ice Pick."
Luther: "What's the difference, the man's a bum. I'm kind of inclined to sneak into his steam bath and snap his towel, ya know what I mean?"
Hey Dobie,
I wish you the best on your recovery and enjoy the rewatch!

Most places in the US have very little in the way of preservation laws and some nothing at all. There are a few standouts with Boston and Philadelphia coming to mind as having very rigorous protections in several very historic neighborhoods. Most other places that do have some laws, like LA or my Long Beach, are basically of the opt in variety. Property owners must apply for historic designation. Occasionally groups of homeowners apply and a historic designation zone is created, but most designations are for individual properties. In California, that also gets them a property tax break under the Mills Act, but of course also limits what they can do with their own property. That last part is the sticking point for many. It also limits potential future buyers in the market and thus affects the value.

It has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, Ms. Anderson was protecting her property value not only by applying and paying for the permits to raise and reinforce the sea walls, but also by NOT applying for protection of the structures as historic. These two moves opened up the property to significant future development. Few remember that the property was first listed at a higher price, by a couple of million if I recall correctly. The degradation of the main house was significant by that point and it was basically for land value with its location when it sold. Sad but true for all of us fans.
Hi Pahonu,
Thank you for sharing the big picture and kind words regarding my health.
The area where the estate was, is it akin to the Garden District in New Orleans, a whole neighborhood of beautiful homes abutting each other? I don't think on Magnum or Hawaii Five-O
that we were ever shown from seaside, a panoramic view of the estate with the ones nearby.
On the Andy Griffith Show we got to see the Taylor abode, the surrounding neighborhood, one got a sense of place. On Magnum we'd get a tight shot of the entrance - if it was the real entryway -
and a roadway, period.
Perhaps because the neighbors may have felt it to be an intrusion to show more?
Hey Dobie,
I think I might have an answer for this question as well. There are two things that come to mind. First, I recall reading from an interview that Bellisario wanted to recreate the look of an older Hawaii for the show. I don’t remember his motivations for this but it was a visual choice he made, and if you think about all the episodes, the many high rises of Honolulu are rarely seen. Beyond the estate, they tended to film in little neighborhoods, many historic, and lots of natural settings. Wave Goodbye comes to mind with its isolated little beach bar. Such places were quite rare by the 80’s as they were in SoCal because of growing population and rising land values. They were not uncommon at all in the past. The show focused on those kinds of places to give a certain impression of a relaxed paradise.

The second thing is that they were always trying to give the impression that the estate was much larger than it actually was, about five acres. Anytime they filmed near the boundary of the estate, they tended to use tight shots, including at the gate. If you notice, they show the highway to the east in long shots because that is along the estate’s wall. In the other direction the property ends quickly and the Shriners Club and other houses start. Also, the area behind the main house and garage wing is rarely seen because a neighboring house is surprisingly close, and hanging shades were placed in the boathouse lanai adjacent to the Shriners to hide it. They were careful not to ruin the illusion.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Ivan and Pahonu,
Ivan, as for You Tube videos, I will try something like "Magnum PI Estate", hopefully that will be descriptive enough. I was one of those fooled by just how large the estate was.
Its funny how a population becomes indifferent to film productions after awhile, the series "Ed" filmed in my hometown for 4 years. At first crowds would gather, by the last episode
I watched them filming late at night in Mindowaskin Park, the only civilians there - by happen chance - were me and one Mary Pat, a friend. The 2 star's trailers were open, you could look
right in or gone in as they filmed, of course the police station was 50 yards away.

Pahonu,
I can now see my impression of Hawaii has been very much formed by Bellisario's vision. I am sorry to hear development has been so extensive, though that's apparently naive of me.
A Shriners Club right next to the boathouse? Wow, you guys are really destroying my illusions. I am going to keep my eye out to see if any of the neighboring buildings accidentally
made it into a shot. Mistakes happen, like leaving up the Floyd's Barber Shop sign on his store as Shatner and crew walk by when the Mayberry set was used on Star Trek.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#19 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:29 am Ivan and Pahonu,
Ivan, as for You Tube videos, I will try something like "Magnum PI Estate", hopefully that will be descriptive enough. I was one of those fooled by just how large the estate was.
Its funny how a population becomes indifferent to film productions after awhile, the series "Ed" filmed in my hometown for 4 years. At first crowds would gather, by the last episode
I watched them filming late at night in Mindowaskin Park, the only civilians there - by happen chance - were me and one Mary Pat, a friend. The 2 star's trailers were open, you could look
right in or gone in as they filmed, of course the police station was 50 yards away.

Pahonu,
I can now see my impression of Hawaii has been very much formed by Bellisario's vision. I am sorry to hear development has been so extensive, though that's apparently naive of me.
A Shriners Club right next to the boathouse? Wow, you guys are really destroying my illusions. I am going to keep my eye out to see if any of the neighboring buildings accidentally
made it into a shot. Mistakes happen, like leaving up the Floyd's Barber Shop sign on his store as Shatner and crew walk by when the Mayberry set was used on Star Trek.
Yes, the boathouse is only about 5 feet from the perimeter lava rock wall and the other side is the Shriners Club. They were very careful in filming not to show the neighboring properties, so they were successful in shaping your impression of the estate’s size. :D There were a few mistakes of a different kind though. As many have commented over the years, they sometimes filmed so as to be able see the boathouse behind the tennis court, even though TM walked through the garage wing to get to the “guest house” right from the pilot.

The really unique example is in Foiled Again, when they filmed in the Shriners Club and you can see a brief glimpse of the boathouse from the opposite side that we are familiar with. Much of it is obscured by the wall, but you can see the lanai pillars and roof. I don’t remember if you can see more than that, but another photo posted shows it clearly from that view. In that photo you can also see a small window and a plumbing vent on the roof.

For years I had suspected there was a bathroom in there because of these two things. It was confirmed later when the property was listed for sale. The boathouse has a single room upstairs of about 10x14 feet with an attached bathroom. Below is a much larger storage area of approximately 20x28 feet for all the water-sports equipment. That’s why it has not just a small door for entry near the stairs, but the two large garage-like doors with the ramp that used to lead to the beach. The new, taller seawall has blocked that access.