Alternative Rides

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

Alternative Rides

#1 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I know it’s blasphemy to picture TM in anything other than the Ferrari 308, but if he had driven another car what would you picture him in? Seeing someone Magnum’s size in the Jaguar E Type in Blind Justice makes it looks like a clown car. His head has to be a good foot above the roof line. I just can’t picture him in anything else, and wonder if any of you could?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

A DeSoto Firedome. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: Alternative Rides

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I know it’s blasphemy to picture TM in anything other than the Ferrari 308, but if he had driven another car what would you picture him in? Seeing someone Magnum’s size in the Jaguar E Type in Blind Justice makes it looks like a clown car. His head has to be a good foot above the roof line. I just can’t picture him in anything else, and wonder if any of you could?
Check out TS in the "Chinese Typewriter" and you will see him driving what looks like a Datsun B-210 "Honey Bee." :shock: I understand the Chinese Typewriter is pre-MPI, but it still seems very odd to see him in anything other than the 308GT.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

The only other "ride" he looked good on to me was riding a horse. Maybe since I am partial to Motorcycles he could be on a Harley or a tricked out $50,000.00 Custom Chopper, but I am afraid with his wardrobe and penchant for chase scenes and crashes he would have a heck of case of road rash!!!

Steve
Chicago

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Coops »

Considering TM's budget it'd have to be cheap, too.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#6 Post by golfmobile »

Based on his military background and his penchant for going "off road" (not always on purpose!), I can see him scooting around in a small, short, high-tired, topless jeep (I can't think of the name of what model this would be) -- like the little ones you always see chasing him when he's trespassing around the naval property at the docks.

But he REALLY needs a nondescript car for tailing folks! That's one of the RIDICULOUS things I find about the show. He'll be following someone and thinks they don't SEE him in the 308!!! That is the one of the most "suspend disbelief" factors I find in the show.

So for tailing for "invisibly," I think he should have bought McGarrett's old coupe from Hawaii Five-O at a police auction. That is one ugly, dated car! Everyone will avoid looking at it for just that reason. No one in his right mind would be driving it, so it would be the perfect car to be invisible in.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#7 Post by N1095A »

I always liked the eps where he drove the Jimmy, the 1980 full sized brown and orange one, not the '84 mini Jimmy.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Carmen
MPI

#8 Post by Carmen »

a Corvette Stingray 8) (it has to be a cool car)
or maybe my favorite Ferrari: 250 GTO
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by tidal pool »

golfmobile wrote:topless jeep
Agree!
TS or NO MOVIE!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Miss Q »

I actually remember reading somewhere that in the early seasons of MPI Selleck owned a Jeep...
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I thought about a Jeep, but it wouldn't take corners very well in his chases. Maybe an old police cruiser or a 60's muscle car?

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MPS »

A BMW M5 would suit him. 1. He would fit in it. 2. It looks like any other member of the 5 series (That is, if you don't know cars; just a few changes in the body), so it could be inconspicuous. 3. It's got 500 hp and corners well.

An added plus, when leaving Madeo, he and Jillie got into a BMW X5, so TS himself might go for this ride.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

My son, who is 6'6", drives a Range Rover. He says it's the only vehicle with enough head room for him. With most cars, he has to tilt the seat back so his spiky hair doesn't touch the head liner. I don't know how a Range Rover corners, but I bet it would have enough head room for our hero! :D