Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#331 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:38 pm
Great to hear from you Styles! It’s been a while it seems, and great information as always.
Yes, it's been a busy year of travel and work and I've not had a lot of time for leisure! I'd love to join the 40th anniversary party soon if I can carve out some time... Hope everyone is well!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#332 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:57 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:38 pm
Great to hear from you Styles! It’s been a while it seems, and great information as always.
Yes, it's been a busy year of travel and work and I've not had a lot of time for leisure! I'd love to join the 40th anniversary party soon if I can carve out some time... Hope everyone is well!
Best wishes to you and thanks again for the posts moving forward.

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#333 Post by Mr. Keoki »

Yeah for me it recalls the "date just/day date" ladies and mens. But I've tried a few on (ADs actually have quite a few "for display only" that can be tried on). Ripped my hairs out.

I recently (a year ago) bought a omega seamaster 300m blue face/blue rubber strap. I really enjoy that piece. Good bang for the buck. *bought it on a cruise with a substantial discount and no tax/no duty.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Styles Bitchley

#334 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mr. Keoki wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:25 am I recently (a year ago) bought a omega seamaster 300m blue face/blue rubber strap. I really enjoy that piece. Good bang for the buck. *bought it on a cruise with a substantial discount and no tax/no duty.
These are really wonderful watches. Not sure anything else in the price range is comparable - maybe Tudor Black Bay?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#335 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:21 pm
Mr. Keoki wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:25 am I recently (a year ago) bought a omega seamaster 300m blue face/blue rubber strap. I really enjoy that piece. Good bang for the buck. *bought it on a cruise with a substantial discount and no tax/no duty.
These are really wonderful watches. Not sure anything else in the price range is comparable - maybe Tudor Black Bay?
Congrats, Mr. Keoki on the Seamaster!

I would love an Omega Seamaster 007 Edition, and a Tudor Black Bay GMT.

Dreams. :D

mrnation8
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#336 Post by mrnation8 »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:41 pm
mrnation8 wrote:I’m also ok the waiting list for a new GMT Pepsi and have been for awhile. I finally broke down and bought the GMT Master II. Cost the same for a used one made in 2000 in the grey market as a new one, but it sure is nice looking on my wrist for now lol.
I'm guessing that would be a 16710? I think it's much nicer than the new one. Let's see a photo!
Finally figured out the photo upload (2 years later lol)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oS5BmPvxspznqd7e9

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#337 Post by Mr. Keoki »

eagle wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:57 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:21 pm

Congrats, Mr. Keoki on the Seamaster!

I would love an Omega Seamaster 007 Edition, and a Tudor Black Bay GMT.

Dreams. :D
Thank you! I really like it. Keep your eyes peeled. Might be able to get your dream pieces for a reasonable price sometime soon.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#338 Post by Mr. Keoki »

mrnation8 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:17 am
mrnation8 wrote:I’m also ok the waiting list for a new GMT Pepsi and have been for awhile. I finally broke down and bought the GMT Master II. Cost the same for a used one made in 2000 in the grey market as a new one, but it sure is nice looking on my wrist for now lol.
I'm guessing that would be a 16710? I think it's much nicer than the new one. Let's see a photo!
That is a great looking piece! To me the color pops more on the aluminum bezels. They obviously fade over time, but yours looks great.
Mr. Keoki

Styles Bitchley

#339 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Incredible. I must say I’m still very tempted every time I see one on the wrist. Even with the prices they fetch these days I find myself weighing the benefits vs the impact on my marriage. 😂

- J.Q.H.

mrnation8
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#340 Post by mrnation8 »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:53 pm
Incredible. I must say I’m still very tempted every time I see one on the wrist. Even with the prices they fetch these days I find myself weighing the benefits vs the impact on my marriage. 😂
It has to come down soon I would hope! I’m on a few Rolex pages on FB and I have noticed it cooling off some…may can keep the wife and have the watch!

mrnation8
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#341 Post by mrnation8 »

Mr. Keoki wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:46 pm
That is a great looking piece! To me the color pops more on the aluminum bezels. They obviously fade over time, but yours looks great.
Thanks! Yeah I actually wear it daily- even when working on cars (especially when I work on my 308 haha!) or playing golf. It’s taking a few scratches now I’m sure.

Thomas_Magnum
Commander

#342 Post by Thomas_Magnum »

I found this on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/125494251644?h ... SwKv9jDjhJ
It seems to be a reissue of the Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 made from 2020-today. Hmmm...
...and that, as they say, is the hell of it.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#343 Post by eagle »

Thomas_Magnum wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:14 pm I found this on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/125494251644?h ... SwKv9jDjhJ
It seems to be a reissue of the Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 made from 2020-today. Hmmm...
I really like how it says "Chronoports" instead of "Chronosport" :)

Looks very much like the Chronosport tho - very cool.

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#344 Post by Mr. Keoki »

Eagle with the eagle eyes! Haha
Mr. Keoki

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#345 Post by eagle »

Mr. Keoki wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:29 pm Eagle with the eagle eyes! Haha
Ha. :)

Did you see this listing? This guy sure is proud of his watch!

I mean, I like the watch & all, but I'm not paying half what I paid for my current Ford F150, for a 40-year old watch! Especially one as scratched up as that one is. I think mine might be in better condition.

But maybe it's like those Zillow "make me move" listings. I mean, if someone wanted my Chronosport for $6,400, I'd sure give it to him before he changed his mind!