Season 8 DVDs - are the original songs included?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

g053584398
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Season 8 DVDs - are the original songs included?

#1 Post by g053584398 »

Hello everybody,

I've lurked here for a while, but this is my first post.

I know that with the exception of a single replacement track, which I believe may have occurred accidentally, the songs and other musical material is present on the DVDs for the first seven seasons.

But can anyone confirm whether or not the US R1 Season 8 DVDs include all of the original musical material, as originally broadcast? (i.e. I'm So Glad I'm Standing Here Today by Joe Cocker, Conga by Miami Sound Machine, The Brazilian by Genesis etc)

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by Kahunagirl »

As I recall, all 3 of the songs you mentioned are on the US Season 8 DVDs. I'm in my "Highlander: The Series" rotation right now, but watched Season 8 when it first came out and I remember all 3 of those songs.

Kahunagirl

g053584398
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by g053584398 »

Thanks for that Kahunagirl!

Can you remember any of the other songs present?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

g053584398 wrote:Thanks for that Kahunagirl!

Can you remember any of the other songs present?
Well, there's "Try A Little Tenderness" from "Resolutions", too...

g053584398
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by g053584398 »

Thanks for that Doc!

Well it sounds as though musically the eighth season DVDs are intact then. It is just a shame that the originally broadcast version of the final episode wasn't included, but I would imagine that was a genuine mistake. I would love to see the original episode.

Overall though I suppose we should thank Universal for putting Magnum onto DVD and for licensing the original songs.

I just wish they would continue release season sets of Quincy and Kojak now, and hopefully The Equalizer will get more than just the first season released as well.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Season 8 DVDs - are the original songs included?

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

There's also that beautiful Hawaiian song by Palani Vaughan, "He Pua Wehiwa", from the opening scene of "Forever in Time". And then there is that great Mike Post piece from the beginning of "Resolutions" that sounds like Blow by Blow era Jeff Beck. ;)
g053584398 wrote:I know that with the exception of a single replacement track, which I believe may have occurred accidentally, the songs and other musical material is present on the DVDs for the first seven seasons.
Which track would this be?

By the way, welcome to the site!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

g053584398
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by g053584398 »

The song Surfer Girl by The Beach Boys was apparently featured in the originally broadcast episode Dream A Little Dream (4x20), but was replaced for sindication.

I am surmising that this wasn't picked up on by the folk at Universal when it came to the relicensing of the music, otherwise there would have been a standard music replacement disclaimer on the back of the packaging. It also wouldn't make sense when you consider that all of the other musical material has been licensed.

Thanks for making me feel welcome, by the way!

:)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah yes, "Surfer Girl", of course!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!