40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#811 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I'll be watching 'Ki'i's Don't Lie" tonight at 8, followed by the Simon & Simon conclusion "Emeralds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend" at 9. Will also try to squeeze in the second Cheers episode "Sam's Women".

Tomorrow it's Knight Rider "Good Day at White Rock" at 9.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#812 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:44 pm I'll be watching 'Ki'i's Don't Lie" tonight at 8, followed by the Simon & Simon conclusion "Emeralds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend" at 9. Will also try to squeeze in the second Cheers episode "Sam's Women".

Wait one bloody minute. :higgins:

Have you finished first run Magnum PI yet? The one we been bugging you about for years?

How you got time for all those other shows? :x
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#813 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:50 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:44 pm I'll be watching 'Ki'i's Don't Lie" tonight at 8, followed by the Simon & Simon conclusion "Emeralds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend" at 9. Will also try to squeeze in the second Cheers episode "Sam's Women".

Wait one bloody minute. :higgins:

Have you finished first run Magnum PI yet? The one we been bugging you about for years?

How you got time for all those other shows? :x
:lol: Nope, still stuck on season 4. :oops:

Actually I just got a little free time for a little while so I thought I would relive 1982-1983 for a bit. :) I definitely won't be doing this for the whole season. I wish. Then next year I would actually be watching MPI season 4 which is where I stopped. Hey, there's an idea. :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#814 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:06 pm
:lol: Nope, still stuck on season 4. :oops:

next year I would actually be watching MPI season 4 which is where I stopped. Hey, there's an idea. :D
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#815 Post by Mark de Croix »

A fun episode, Ki'is don't lie. "Oogaboogah,' by TC, now that's an expression I haven't heard in quite awhile. Very surprised they included it.

One of the important features is how Thomas Magnum's character is built to be sterling as they come--he goes out of his way to greet the limo driver; he avoids the pretty woman's seduction in keeping with his professional PI role; and allows Higgins to give him gruff all the time. I was pleased that he and I shared the same sentiment about the Ki'i--its attraction "is in the eye of the beholder" as he says.

If the show had any failing, it was the Prop Dept.'s production of the Ki'i. A fancier rendition would have been a plus. I also was reminded that without Rick there could be no TM, PI, for without Rick's intel, surely TM wouldn't have been able to track down in time the Calif. PIs at their hotel. :magnum: :magnum:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#816 Post by T.Q. »

October 14th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
The Eighth Part of the Village
Season Number: 3.4

Guest Stars
Kim Miyori (Mioshi Osawa), Marilyn Tokuda (Asani Osawa), Danny Kamekona (Sato Osawa), Rick Hill (Roy Chambers), Donald Gibb (Mr. Harms), Dick Durock (Mr. Jansen), Peter Kalua (Keoni), Jorie Remus (Mrs. Cheever)

After narrowly avoiding being shot during a case, a fortune cookie convinces Magnum that it's time to repay his friends and associates, leading him to collect a crate of books from the docks for Higgins, only to find that it contains the daughter of a war comrade of Higgins who's searching for her American fiancee and seeking to escape her cruel father.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#817 Post by T.Q. »

Either the interest in the 40th Anniversary Watch Party is dying or maybe our fellow MM members are.

Seems not a lot of interest anymore. :cry:

Maybe just call it quits?

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#818 Post by eagle »

Up to you. I'm enjoying it, but I've been out of town for a week. I am still working on the Simon & Simon part of last week's crossover episode, and then I'll watch this one. I left last Friday night and got back Sunday at dinnertime, then left Monday and got back yesterday at dinnertime. I spent a lot of time with my wife and kids out in nature, and feel completely reset.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#819 Post by 308GUY »

Still here.....but I watch on a fairly "regular" basis.....like anytime I have the time. Lost count of how many times for the entire series. Always get sad when "Resolutions 2" comes up... :(

I generally go in order, but I did like the idea of doing it on an "anniversary" date coinciding with the original air date....kind of a neat concept.

Might be different if we could all get together to watch....at the estate....in the tv room....or the guest house with JQH's big screen brought in...or....ok....guessing I'm probably the only over 60 y.o. "dreamer" left here.

But it's still a great concept, and my vote is for anybody who has the time and inclination to join in, to do so, if and when it's possible and convenient.

I'm with Eagle on last weeks ep......still trying to make time to dig out the disc with the S&S "Emeralds Are Not A Girls Best Friend" on it.

But I do have plans for "Eighth Part Of The Village" for tonight or over the weekend. :magnum: :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Fleet Admiral

#820 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:16 pm Either the interest in the 40th Anniversary Watch Party is dying or maybe our fellow MM members are.

Seems not a lot of interest anymore. :cry:

Maybe just call it quits?
I watched "The Eighth Part of the Village" last night! :) Followed by Simon & Simon's "Mike & Pat".

Yes, I know, I know... why am I not continuing with MPI season 4? :oops: I'll get to it soon. I promise, I promise.

As for last night's episode it's one that gets better and better each time I watch it. When I first saw it years ago I actually didn't care for it. I liked the twist at the end but that's about it. Don't know what I was thinking because it has so much going for it. Not only the neat twist but some nice Japanese culture and history, in which Higgins plays a pretty crucial role. On top of that you get that great subplot of TM deciding to repay his debts because of what his fortune cookie told him. :D TM mowing the lawn at the start wearing a Chinaman's hat (not to be confused with the island just off Oahu :)) is a really funny sight and that's where that great line from Higgins comes from: To the untrained eye this may appear to be just another suburban lawn. For your information, we are standing on a scientifically formulated carpet of Bahia, Kentucky Bluegrass, and an African Zoysia. One doesn't just "mow it"! :lol:

Speaking of Japanese culture, the director of this episode was James Frawley (who directed 1979's THE MUPPET MOVIE) who came back later this season to direct "The Arrow That is Not Aimed" -- another Japanese-centered story! Coincidence or intentional?

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#821 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:55 pm Image

Fleet Admiral

#822 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Oh, another thing that would be really awesome is if some MPI super-fan made an episode commentary for each episode. That's exactly what a super-fan from Knight Rider Historians did for Knight Rider - an episode by episode commentary of the series. These guys actually own one of the original Trans Am KITT's used on the show. They were even guests on Jay Leno's Garage. They do all the Knight Rider conventions and have interviewed cast and crew and guest stars and people involved with the show. These guys are an astounding resource of information when it comes to all things Knight Rider. So who better to do a Knight Rider commentary on every episode, right? You can check out these "non-director's-cut commentaries" :lol: here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzutzbY ... 1E8x3s9EEq

Wouldn't it be cool if there was something like this for MPI? I think the closest we came was those podcasts that those guys from LoadingReadyRun did for the first season and half of the second. And then they stopped for some reason. I think it was 2 guys and a girl. But they were just casual fans who haven't seen the show in ages and were just revisiting it to see if it still holds up. Certainly no experts on the show like some of us here. We really could use some definitive episode commentaries from a super-fan! :)

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#823 Post by Mark de Croix »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:12 pm
T.Q. wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:16 pm
...I watched "The Eighth Part of the Village" last night! :) that great line from Higgins comes from: To the untrained eye this may appear to be just another suburban lawn. For your information, we are standing on a scientifically formulated carpet of Bahia, Kentucky Bluegrass, and an African Zoysia. One doesn't just "mow it"! :lol:
Some of the MPI scriptwriting is so amazing as is what you quote. On the surface glitz seems to be the show to the uninitiated but content is often so deeply conceived. Most other TV shows can't match the depth.

Some of my comments about the show, which I saw for the first time last night:

Two Great Photographic Moments:
1 Monitor/TV screen completely filled by aqua ocean as TM swims to shore. Just awesome.
2 The women in purple: When TM chases Roy at the zoo, they run by a gorgeous woman in purple in a meadow. I wanted the show to stop and train the camera on her. Surprisingly she later turned out to be a character in the show. A real fox and shows that character Roy had great taste in women. Related I might add too I enjoyed a lot of Hawaii scenery shown, as in recent shows. I hope MPI continues this.

Originally I thought the stowaway idea was a bit far fetched, esp. if the character would be a woman on a ship with sailors ( but alas she did well by appearing as a boy--how meticulous the scriptwriters thought this through!!). Let me note that in recent years the foreign CEO of Nissan, put under arrest in Japan, escaped by exiting while hiding in a large musical equipment box. So maybe the MPI scriptwriters had something there. :D

To Rick (Larry Manetti): Caught ya! It's probably too late to inform you Rick as MPI is finished as a program, but you never know. Just in case, here someone with a trained eye noticed you walking with a bad-ass step. Cut that out, ok? Let the taller dudes put on a strut as it looks natural. Guys shorter in stature can't pull it off as well. You can continue pruning yourself in front of mirrors as it fits well your character but not struts. Good luck.

:magnum: :magnum:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#824 Post by Pahonu »

Yes, Carlos Gohsn escaped from Japan to Turkey in an electronics crate that went through customs but wasn’t x-rayed because it was too big for the machine! From there he went to his homeland of Lebanon which has no extradition treaty with Japan. It’s a fascinating story. He was CEO of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance at the time. Interestingly, Renault owned the formerly Soviet state-owned car manufacturer AvtoVAZ at the time, best know for the Lada brand, but it was repurchased by the Russian government this year or last, I believe.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#825 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:49 am Oh, another thing that would be really awesome is if some MPI super-fan made an episode commentary for each episode. That's exactly what a super-fan from Knight Rider Historians did for Knight Rider - an episode by episode commentary of the series. These guys actually own one of the original Trans Am KITT's used on the show. They were even guests on Jay Leno's Garage. They do all the Knight Rider conventions and have interviewed cast and crew and guest stars and people involved with the show. These guys are an astounding resource of information when it comes to all things Knight Rider. So who better to do a Knight Rider commentary on every episode, right? You can check out these "non-director's-cut commentaries" :lol: here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzutzbY ... 1E8x3s9EEq

Wouldn't it be cool if there was something like this for MPI? I think the closest we came was those podcasts that those guys from LoadingReadyRun did for the first season and half of the second. And then they stopped for some reason. I think it was 2 guys and a girl. But they were just casual fans who haven't seen the show in ages and were just revisiting it to see if it still holds up. Certainly no experts on the show like some of us here. We really could use some definitive episode commentaries from a super-fan! :)
I saw that episode of Jay Leno’s Garage. There’s a pretty sizable group of Knight Rider fans it seems, and very dedicated. I was a kid when it first aired and loved it. They even filmed in my hometown once and my cousin and I rode our bikes over to watch. We were maybe 12 or 13. I’ve tried rewatching it a few times over the years and it just doesn’t hold up for me.

I perhaps mentioned this before, but I ended up working for two years in production on Baywatch with Hasselhoff in the early 90’s and he was a nice guy, but he didn’t seem to understand that both shows, while popular, weren’t exactly considered award winning television. Much of the crew would comment on this disconnect, but never to him of course. I remember one morning when he was on the weight bench and talking to one of the producers about how he didn’t understand why the broadcasters in Ireland wouldn’t purchase the syndication rights to the show. The show was first-run syndication for many years after just one network season, so that’s how they profited. He called it a family show… with all the T&A!?!?! :shock:

Did I ever tell you about the time a young boy with Down’s Syndrome in an episode did line-for-line recreations of Knight Rider scenes talking like Michael Knight into his imaginary watch to an imaginary KITT? The whole crew was enjoying it and he loved the attention. Hasselhoff, however, didn’t seem amused but what could he say?