Rather (!?!!?) Contemptuous Article on Magnum PI

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Nifty
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#16 Post by Nifty »

First post here.

The writer seems to forget this was a TV show, at a time when everything else has been done several times over. I would hardly call this a chick show. There was humor, emotion, suspense, and the occasional episode that would leave you thinking about what you just saw. And in a way it was believable because each week there wasn't a guranteed kill like other detective shows. It's rare that a TV show can run as long as MPI did and keep the basic theme together without selling out at some point.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#17 Post by SelleckLover »

Right you are, Nifty. This show had mass appeal. Women wanted Magnum, and men wanted to BE him. Plain & simple! :D

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Actually, if you read the review as though it was (excuse me, as though it were) a parody from Mad magazine, it's really pretty humorous.

And there's definitely something to be said for "firm, manly thighs"!
Carol

Carmen
MPI

#19 Post by Carmen »

My mistake to read the article - on my birthday!!
Wasn`t it Clint Eastwood who said "Come on, ruin my day!!"

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Sorry, Carmen!
Carol

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#21 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

You know, when he was doing his whole Vietnam rant I said, "Ok, I see where this is going he's going to rant on Magnum and the connection with the Vietnam War." That tended to be the only thing in the entire article that wasn't 100% off base. I know he says he saw season 1 and some of the others, but he can't be serious! Also, if you are going to write an article bashing our beloved show and expect to be taken seriously, please learn the correct spelling of Kamehameha. This guy is nothing but a hack!

Carmen
MPI

#22 Post by Carmen »

:D don`t be sorry, Carol, it hasn`t been such a bad day at all.
My sister came by and had the nicest gifts for me:
Season 5 on DVD, a waterpistol with a "magnum-name-button" on it, and some big icecreampackages (Magnum, what else)
NIKWYT, who takes it seriously!? Just nonsense what he wrote!!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#23 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

True Carmen, this guy is just a clown. I hope you have a wonderful birthday!

Carmen
MPI

#24 Post by Carmen »

Thanks a lot, I had a wonderful B-day, especially when I was watching 3 and a half episodes MPI last night, after all guest went home and my family to bed :wink:

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Coops »

The guy is tough! Even getting his butt kicked by Rosie O'Donnell for being a gun-nut hasn't slowed him down!
He must have watched something else because I saw TS own Rosie during that interview. His butt kicked? HIS BUTT KICKED?????

Yeah, right.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#26 Post by SelleckLover »

He must have watched something else because I saw TS own Rosie during that interview. His butt kicked? HIS BUTT KICKED?????
I agree with you Coops...I thought he handled that un-called for incident with a lot of class and grace. I don't necessarily agree with Rosie O'Donnell's politics, and her stand on so called "gun-control", but this is a free country and I guess if you have your own TV show you can conduct it any way you wish. (My husband has a permit to carry a weapon, and you wouldn't believe the hoops he had to jump through and the big bureaucratic dog and pony show that went on for him to get that permit LEGALLY!) But we saw what happened to her show (it went down the tubes after that) and I think that she needs to do some serious soul-searching when it comes to how she treats people. We see who still has a successful career and who doesn't! :D

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#27 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Rosie O'Donnel is a blowhard. I'm glad TS acted with class and let her show her a$$ as usual.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I thought it was hilarious when it came out that the Queen of Gun Control had hired a full-time armed body guard. Then when some of the media accused her of being a hypocrite, she said, well, she needed protection, because her life had been threatened! And besides, it's not like she was carrying a gun, she had hired a licensed professional!

I thought, gee, it's sure lucky that poor folks never have their lives threatened, 'cause they sure couldn't afford to hire a body guard!

Rosie is not only a hypocrite, she's an elitist hypocrite.
Carol

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by AmandaByNight »

I just watched that O'Donnell farce last night, out of curiosity. It was so odd, and uncalled for. I think he handled everything perfectly and showed way more grace than she ever could. He made some good points and obviously did not have any kind of agenda when he agreed to do the show...

I browsed the article linked here in this thread and I took a little offense to the comment about how the show was made solely by men. This, in fact, may be true, as I've never really researched that, but as a woman I always found Magnum and his characters not only total gentlemen (and not in some kind of male fantasy way, as it's implied by the author of that piece). But there were plenty of fun, interesting female characters (Agatha was not some bimbo in a bikini, and J. Digger Doyle may have worn a bikini, but she was also smart and ambitious) and plenty of romance, when it was called for. Magnum was not about making out with a new woman every week, but sometimes feelings were had. I thought the show was a perfect balance of comedy, drama and action and it's fine if he feels differently, but I think he's putting a lot of his Psych 101 notes to poor use.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by KENJI »

I remember that Rosie ambush and remember at the time Rosie had a huge promotional contract with Wal-Mart (or was it K-Mart), anyways she is going off on Tom about supporting guns..... while she is a spokesperson for a company that sells guns - what a hypocrite! This surfaced shortly after that interview and Rosie had more mud on her face and was either dropped or stepped down as spokesperson for Wal-Mart and I think she apologized in a round about way to Tom. Tom could've easily debated the issue, but showed so much class! Sometimes it is best to lose a battle to win the war which Tom did!