40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#751 Post by Styles Bitchley »

charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:04 am
Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:58 am I’ll be in Scandinavia, actually. Still pretty cold there - but not much different from Canada!
Scandinavia is definitely a place to visit in the summer in my case - when I’ve gone in the past it’s been in August.
Only saw Oslo and Trollhättan (for the SAAB museum) and have since decided to try and learn Swedish.
That’s real passion when you take up learning a language that so few people (relatively) speak. I feel the same about Italian, but I’ve not given it a real go yet though. For me it would be a tour of the Volvo museum (pretty much every car I’ve owned), but no time on this trip.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#752 Post by charybdis1966 »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:41 am
charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:04 am
Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:58 am I’ll be in Scandinavia, actually. Still pretty cold there - but not much different from Canada!
Scandinavia is definitely a place to visit in the summer in my case - when I’ve gone in the past it’s been in August.
Only saw Oslo and Trollhättan (for the SAAB museum) and have since decided to try and learn Swedish.
That’s real passion when you take up learning a language that so few people (relatively) speak. I feel the same about Italian, but I’ve not given it a real go yet though. For me it would be a tour of the Volvo museum (pretty much every car I’ve owned), but no time on this trip.
My efforts are restricted to an hour on Duolingo each day and the occasional episode of Wallander (the Krister Henrikkson Swedish language version).
It’s because I believe learning a different language helps prevent the onset of dementia by exercising a different part of your brain plus I like the sound of the language and it’s not too difficult for an English speaker due to the languages shared Germanic origins.
One day I could even get to use my Swedish when I meet a swede.
The Volvo museum would be in Göteborg just a bit further down the west coast from Trollhättan, both places in a lovely part of the country.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#753 Post by Styles Bitchley »

That’s some good thinking. I guess we’re all getting to the stage in life where we will have to start thinking of such things.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#754 Post by Mark de Croix »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:47 pm
ENSHealy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:02 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:35 pm
ENSHealy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:50 pm I had to Google "compere". That one hasn't made it across the pond yet. And I hadn't bumped into it despite Morse, Lewis, Endeavour, Luther, Unforgotten, Collateral, Shetland, Fleabag, etc. I guess there weren't enough bathing suit fashion shows in those....
Ha ha, yes “compère” is a particularly English word (but perversely of French origin).
If you’ve seen stuff like Luther, Lewis and Morse can I make a suggestion?
You might want to try some especially indecipherable English dialects as you might enjoy them, in which case there is “Auf weidersehen Pet” (only the first 2 seasons as they are the best) as it’s a series from around the same time as MPI.
It centres around a group of bricklayers from the north east of England(Geordies)
Their accents are so strong and dialect so tricky that most English people need the subtitles on when the Geordies speak.
I actually watched the first episode, maybe the first two, on youtube, but the subtitles are artificially generated, and are more amusing for their inaccuracies then anything else. Looked for a DVD set online, but it doesn't look like it was ever released in Region 1 format. But I should definitely go back and give it another go on youtube.
That’s great that you did try to watch them somewhere - I think it’s in Britbox via Amazon Prime as you’re right that it didn’t come out on region 1 DVD.
For a giggle here’s a short YouTube clip where the gang end up comparing themselves to the Magnificent Seven. Turning on the subtitles will be quite amusing as you've already discovered. :D
https://youtu.be/3k_zSJlUg_8
Curiously I viewed your youtube link and was surprised I followed it fairly well except the two guys on the right side closest to the aisle especially the guy closest to the aisle. In a way he seemed similar in character to Kramer on Seinfeld. He's goofy, continually spoke with a mouthful of food, and maybe boorish to the diner at the next table. I guess it intentional to make their dialect more difficult? Those guys seem to range in intelligible speech from quite clear to dense. I mean they are not all speaking the same dialect, right? I imagine some of them have more a mixture of standard with a local dialect than the dense guys.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#755 Post by charybdis1966 »

Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:42 pm
ENSHealy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:50 pm I had to Google "compere". That one hasn't made it across the pond yet. And I hadn't bumped into it despite Morse, Lewis, Endeavour, Luther, Unforgotten, Collateral, Shetland, Fleabag, etc. I guess there weren't enough bathing suit fashion shows in those....
Ha ha, yes “compère” is a particularly English word (but perversely of French origin).
You might want to try some especially indecipherable English dialects as you might enjoy them, in which case there is “Auf weidersehen Pet” (only the first 2 seasons as they are the best) as it’s a series from around the same time as MPI.
It centres around a group of bricklayers from the north east of England(Geordies)
Their accents are so strong and dialect so tricky that most English people need the subtitles on when the Geordies speak.
I actually watched the first episode, maybe the first two, on youtube, but the subtitles are artificially generated, and are more amusing for their inaccuracies then anything else. Looked for a DVD set online, but it doesn't look like it was ever released in Region 1 format. But I should definitely go back and give it another go on youtube.
That’s great that you did try to watch them somewhere - I think it’s in Britbox via Amazon Prime as you’re right that it didn’t come out on region 1 DVD.
For a giggle here’s a short YouTube clip where the gang end up comparing themselves to the Magnificent Seven. Turning on the subtitles will be quite amusing as you've already discovered. :D
Curiously I viewed your youtube link and was surprised I followed it fairly well except the two guys on the right side closest to the aisle especially the guy closest to the aisle. In a way he seemed similar in character to Kramer on Seinfeld. He's goofy, continually spoke with a mouthful of food, and maybe boorish to the diner at the next table. I guess it intentional to make their dialect more difficult? Those guys seem to range in intelligible speech from quite clear to dense. I mean they are not all speaking the same dialect, right? I imagine some of them have more a mixture of standard with a local dialect than the dense guys.
Hey, thanks for watching. The three guys you referred to were the Geordies who were the hardest to decipher and yes a blue collar geordie does sound like that. The skinny guy with the longish black hair was a a cockney so probably quite easy to make out and you also had a Liverpudlian so he was another accent. For a relatively small country Britain has quite a range of differing dialects across a small distance.

As for the slightly loutish guy with the full mouth - that's Oz (Osbourne was his surname) and he stole the show in most scenes.

That particular actor (Jimmy Nail) went on to have success in music and films in the 80's and 90's.

Hope you enjoyed that clip. The camaraderie of that team reminds me of that between the 4 guys on MPI.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#756 Post by ENSHealy »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:47 pm That’s great that you did try to watch them somewhere - I think it’s in Britbox via Amazon Prime as you’re right that it didn’t come out on region 1 DVD.
Watched that clip, the subtitles were certainly amusing! I also checked britbox on Amazon, it looks like it's only available on amazon.co.uk, not the Prime we get in the U.S. In fact when I clicked on it, it asked if I was not in the UK and said access was limited. Oh well, I'll have to do my best on youtube and guess from the context when the Geordie accent is too much for me. Actually, my PC will play region 2 DVDs and I could cable it over to the TV, so there is a solution, if I'm motivated enough.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#757 Post by Mark de Croix »

charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:22 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:42 pm
Hey, thanks for watching. The three guys you referred to were the Geordies who were the hardest to decipher and yes a blue collar geordie does sound like that. The skinny guy with the longish black hair was a a cockney so probably quite easy to make out and you also had a Liverpudlian so he was another accent. For a relatively small country Britain has quite a range of differing dialects across a small distance.

As for the slightly loutish guy with the full mouth - that's Oz (Osbourne was his surname) and he stole the show in most scenes.

That particular actor (Jimmy Nail) went on to have success in music and films in the 80's and 90's.

Hope you enjoyed that clip. The camaraderie of that team reminds me of that between the 4 guys on MPI.
>>The camaraderie of that team reminds me of that between the 4 guys on MPI.
They bleed brothers!! :lol:

>>For a relatively small country Britain has quite a range of differing dialects across a >>small distance.
You're so right!! One source says more than 37 dialects. I'm unsure if they meant only for English (which I assume they did). Your vid is an excellent example.

Just curious, how close to the Kramer character is that guy? I mean, within that group, he's like the goof? Thanks for the post and the funny vid.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#758 Post by charybdis1966 »

ENSHealy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:46 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:47 pm That’s great that you did try to watch them somewhere - I think it’s in Britbox via Amazon Prime as you’re right that it didn’t come out on region 1 DVD.
Watched that clip, the subtitles were certainly amusing! I also checked britbox on Amazon, it looks like it's only available on amazon.co.uk, not the Prime we get in the U.S. In fact when I clicked on it, it asked if I was not in the UK and said access was limited. Oh well, I'll have to do my best on youtube and guess from the context when the Geordie accent is too much for me. Actually, my PC will play region 2 DVDs and I could cable it over to the TV, so there is a solution, if I'm motivated enough.
Ah, I thought that might be the case with Amazon Prime offering different options in the US to the UK.
Still it’s worth pursuing the first 2 series as they are excellent with only a handful of clunker episodes.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#759 Post by charybdis1966 »

Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:14 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:22 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:42 pm [quote=charybdis1966 post_id=72477 time=
>>The camaraderie of that team reminds me of that between the 4 guys on MPI.
They bleed brothers!! :lol:

>>For a relatively small country Britain has quite a range of differing dialects across a >>small distance.
You're so right!! One source says more than 37 dialects. I'm unsure if they meant only for English (which I assume they did). Your vid is an excellent example.

Just curious, how close to the Kramer character is that guy? I mean, within that group, he's like the goof? Thanks for the post and the funny vid.
I’d say Oz is a loveable buffoon with a heart of gold beneath the loutish exterior while I think Kramer is more eccentric and off beat.
Here’s a final brief clip of typical Oz behaviour - I won’t put up anymore as I’m wary of going off topic.

https://youtu.be/GSgO4N2ebWw

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#760 Post by T.Q. »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:24 pm
--- END SEASON 2 ---

Thanks for tuning in to the 40th Anniversary Watch Party.

See you in the Fall with Did You See the Sunrise? (September 30th 1982).
Thank you for the updates T.Q. - it's going to be long time till autumn and the start of season three, IMHO one of the top three seasons of the whole lot.
[/quote]

No worries.

Hopefully, I'll remember... come September.

Hey, I'm a poet and didn't even knowit.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#761 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hello everyone,

it's intriguing. I didn't know that this French word had been used in English. The original word in French is comparse: the companion of adventure in a theater acting scene. The variant compère is more negative: a member of a gang, but rather to do a bad job... :D
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#762 Post by T.Q. »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:38 pm
--- END SEASON 2 ---

Thanks for tuning in to the 40th Anniversary Watch Party.

See you in the Fall with Did You See the Sunrise? (September 30th 1982).
Two month heads-up to clear your schedule. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#763 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

KNIGHT RIDER 2-hour pilot "Knight of the Phoenix" -- 9/26/1982

Less than 2 months to clear your schedule for a rewatch! :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#764 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:34 pm KNIGHT RIDER 2-hour pilot "Knight of the Phoenix" -- 9/26/1982

Does it hold up?

I think you guys were discussing the A-Team a while back.

It started re-runs where I live so I've been watching.

One of my favourite shows growing up.

Not so great 40 years later. Very formulaic.

Was definitely for teenaged boys and remains for teenaged boys.

Still fun but certainly no masterpiece of TV history. :lol:

Young Teen TQ: 10/10
50 yr-old TQ: 6/10

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#765 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:47 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:34 pm KNIGHT RIDER 2-hour pilot "Knight of the Phoenix" -- 9/26/1982

Does it hold up?

I think you guys were discussing the A-Team a while back.

It started re-runs where I live so I've been watching.

One of my favourite shows growing up.

Not so great 40 years later. Very formulaic.

Was definitely for teenaged boys and remains for teenaged boys.

Still fun but certainly no masterpiece of TV history. :lol:

Young Teen TQ: 10/10
50 yr-old TQ: 6/10
For me KNIGHT RIDER and THE A-TEAM still hold up. Of course I watch them through the prism of a 13-year old me. So in that sense they can be very enjoyable. It also evokes that era that I love (early to mid 80s) so that's an added bonus. Like a time machine that takes you back in time. KNIGHT RIDER of course was filled with popular hit songs of the day (by the likes of Donna Summer, Police, Beach Boys, Laura Branigan, Pointer Sisters, Fleetwood Mac, Survivor, etc.) so hearing these songs play as Michael and KITT cruise down the highway REALLY takes me back in time! :)

Some episodes are better than others of course. But in the case of the KNIGHT RIDER pilot episode I honestly think it's my favorite pilot episode of all time. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking but I still think it holds up very well. It's a shame more episodes weren't of that same quality.

And yes they're showing reruns of THE A-TEAM here too at 6pm every evening (on Me-TV) but I never have the time to watch it. Surprisingly as much as I love this show I only own season 2 on DVD. Must fix that some day. But for now I need to focus on working my way through MPI. :)