40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#601 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:39 pm it occurred to me last night as I watched during the Super Bowl that this episode aired just a few weeks after the Super Bowl.
Good point! I hadn't thought of that.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#602 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:49 am Hi Guys!
Newbie here but hope you let me crash the party. Am I right that the next episode is The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club (2/19/81) for this Thursday?
To quote another 80s icon: Welcome to the party, pal!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#603 Post by Styles Bitchley »

This week's episode has some good moments, but the plot is overly complicated. And, as Ivan points out, the relationship feel wrong. They just didn't build it up enough to believe the emotion at the end. The script is a bit strange too. Magnum actually uses the word "barmy" and Jeannie uses the word "melancholy" just in regular speech...(maybe because she learned English at a KGB academy :D )

I do like the way the episode opens, with Magnum almost telling a story about a case. His voice overs are usually more like bits of wisdom or asides, but this time he starts out telling the audience about how it was his birthday and this is what happened. I like it. I also like the appearances of Seth Sakai (who plays Chan in this episode. I was curious how many episodes he appears in because he turns up so many times. I checked his IMDB and it turns out five episodes (six if you count All for One as two). That must be a record or near record for guest stars playing different characters with speaking parts. Someone must have tracked this somewhere on the forum! I also liked how they used the scene of Thompson shooting actual pigeons to cue to the audience that this guy has a really dark side. This scene could have been out of a James Bond flick.

- J.Q.H.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#604 Post by Mark de Croix »

Hi guys! Styles, thanks for the welcome I appreciate it. I think this party is really cool. I like we come from all over the world together for this common purpose. I agree with TQ this episode is just kinda average but it has its moments. Piggy backing on charybdis1966, I too felt the same about the boat gambling. I think for me it's the confined space on that boat I didn't like. It gives me a gloomy feeling.

Ivan and Styles comment about the ending. How about the confusion: The nurse says, “she had it all apart, in pieces, on her bed.” And she gives the locket to T M. Here the dialog doesn’t match and required looking over the scene again. The nurse could have said, “she left this locket for you.” To Ivan and Styles, if the chick were better looking do you think you would have had a different take about ending? I wanted a hotter chick. She seemed like she could be TM’s mom.

Besides the confused ending I was disappointed with the broken sequence of how they got to the rocky atoll. Lots of possibilities and important about the boat if it is still intact. The production team makes us fill in the blanks. That's not good.

With that said there is really a lot to talk about this episode. Here are few things
you can read when unable to sleep at night :lol:

Robin Masters owns an American vehicle! The name GMC appears prominently on the vehicle Higgins washes. This might be ad revenue to MPI or the producers giving nod to US nationalism during the height of “trade war” Do you remember the photo in your school history text of the Detroit auto workers smashing an imported car with sledgehammers? :lol: Some Asian Americans became victims of hate crime. Almost nothing appears coincidentally in the foreground of Hollywood film. “GMC” in the scene might balance Robin Masters’s love of foreign brand cars. It's probably a truck, which is the cash cow for Detroit auto makers, and benefits from protectionist policies.

Who’s closer to Robin Masters, TM or Higgins? Higgins continually refers to RM as Mr. Masters while TM uses “Robin.” They are probably on a first-name basis. Nevertheless RM totally relies on Higgins to run the place, so for efficiency he allows Higgins to be superior to TM, hoping TM understands. TM does but sometimes will go over Higgins’ head and call RM directly with concerns. I’m unsure if TM does so with non-security concerns also. That’s something to look for.

TC appears to have a closer relation with TM than does Rick. This extends this topic from another thread. On the beach scene between TC and Rick about TM’s fate, TC looks much more worried than Rick. TC paces back and forth and with crinkled forehead while Rick, like almost child-like makes wishful statements about TM’s fate. In other words, if possible TC has a deeper concern than Rick does, which suggests he has closer relation with TM.

The Cigar—power prop. TM in his tux is sublime but he even tops it off with a cigar. It made me think how the cigar is traditionally a celebratory item—for newborn fathers or unbelievably you can read about Red Auerbach the Boston basketball coach who would light up a cigar on his bench celebrating when the game was yet finished. Sometimes today star athletes will don a cigar to boost their power image (e.g., Michael Jordan).

That's all folks.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#605 Post by ENSHealy »

I realize I missed the window on One More Summer, but I'm working on updating the Magnumometer for it, so I thought I'd drop a couple comments in:

1. This has been commented on in the episode thread, so nothing new, but it still defies logic that not only April Ann, but Dorsey, are willing to make out in the hammock right in front of the Sandal King.
2. The owners of the Blazers must subscribe to the Jerry Jones school of football team ownership, as Eleanor comments that it is her decision wither Dorsey or Delbert start. Also odd that she says this is because her husband is out of town. Like phones hadn't been invented yet or something.
3. Found it hilarious that just as we come across this episode in the Watch Party, not only has Dick Butkus just discovered his Twitter groove and is busy trolling Aaron Rodgers (richly deserved BTW), but the Packers just hired Butkus' nephew as offensive line coach.

As far as Texas Lightning, I liked the (reverse?) chemistry between Jeannie and TM, and love the "if only they'd trusted each other" twist ending, but I agree that there is little basis for their sudden undying devotion to each other at the end. I guess those kisses by the firelight must be pretty powerful.

Three things that have always bothered me:
1. There's no smoke coming from the "signal fire"
2. What did TM light said signal fire with, if the boat was out of gas?
3. TM and Jeannie appear to be marooned on a nothing more than a tiny outcrop of rock...until Thompson and TC's helicopters show up, then all of a sudden they're flying around a huge island.

That and I guess I found it far fetched that at least one of the American intelligence agencies wouldn't have kept closer tabs on a Soviet citizen who married an American. She sure did lose that Russian accent, though, didn't she?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Styles Bitchley

#606 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ENSHealy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:09 pm I realize I missed the window on One More Summer, but I'm working on updating the Magnumometer for it, so I thought I'd drop a couple comments in:

1. This has been commented on in the episode thread, so nothing new, but it still defies logic that not only April Ann, but Dorsey, are willing to make out in the hammock right in front of the Sandal King.
2. The owners of the Blazers must subscribe to the Jerry Jones school of football team ownership, as Eleanor comments that it is her decision wither Dorsey or Delbert start. Also odd that she says this is because her husband is out of town. Like phones hadn't been invented yet or something.
3. Found it hilarious that just as we come across this episode in the Watch Party, not only has Dick Butkus just discovered his Twitter groove and is busy trolling Aaron Rodgers (richly deserved BTW), but the Packers just hired Butkus' nephew as offensive line coach.

As far as Texas Lightning, I liked the (reverse?) chemistry between Jeannie and TM, and love the "if only they'd trusted each other" twist ending, but I agree that there is little basis for their sudden undying devotion to each other at the end. I guess those kisses by the firelight must be pretty powerful.

Three things that have always bothered me:
1. There's no smoke coming from the "signal fire"
2. What did TM light said signal fire with, if the boat was out of gas?
3. TM and Jeannie appear to be marooned on a nothing more than a tiny outcrop of rock...until Thompson and TC's helicopters show up, then all of a sudden they're flying around a huge island.

That and I guess I found it far fetched that at least one of the American intelligence agencies wouldn't have kept closer tabs on a Soviet citizen who married an American. She sure did lose that Russian accent, though, didn't she?
Okay, if we’re going to start pointing out flubs, why build a signal fire at all when they’ve got a functioning flare gun??

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#607 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mark de Croix wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:30 pm
Robin Masters owns an American vehicle! The name GMC appears prominently on the vehicle Higgins washes. This might be ad revenue to MPI or the producers giving nod to US nationalism during the height of “trade war” Do you remember the photo in your school history text of the Detroit auto workers smashing an imported car with sledgehammers? :lol: Some Asian Americans became victims of hate crime. Almost nothing appears coincidentally in the foreground of Hollywood film. “GMC” in the scene might balance Robin Masters’s love of foreign brand cars. It's probably a truck, which is the cash cow for Detroit auto makers, and benefits from protectionist policies.
Robin 3 is well known in these parts. There are plenty of details in this thread with fellow Maniac Waverly being the expert on this particular vehicle:

"The Jimmy in MPI was 1980 GMC K5 Sierra Classic Jimmy with part time 4 wheel drive, 350-CI engine rated at 175HP. The truck was purchased in California and shipped to the island. It was eventually sent back when it was replaced by the 83 Jimmy S-15.

Glen A Larson was also working on The Fall Guy and GM also furnished vehicles for that show."

Who’s closer to Robin Masters, TM or Higgins? Higgins continually refers to RM as Mr. Masters while TM uses “Robin.” They are probably on a first-name basis. Nevertheless RM totally relies on Higgins to run the place, so for efficiency he allows Higgins to be superior to TM, hoping TM understands. TM does but sometimes will go over Higgins’ head and call RM directly with concerns. I’m unsure if TM does so with non-security concerns also. That’s something to look for.
Higgins is Major Domo and a servant, as it were. Magnum is a freeloader living in the guest house. Robin is Higgins' boss and he take the role seriously. Magnum is a guest, but he still has to follow the established rules.
The Cigar—power prop. TM in his tux is sublime but he even tops it off with a cigar. It made me think how the cigar is traditionally a celebratory item—for newborn fathers or unbelievably you can read about Red Auerbach the Boston basketball coach who would light up a cigar on his bench celebrating when the game was yet finished. Sometimes today star athletes will don a cigar to boost their power image (e.g., Michael Jordan).
Selleck is a big cigar buff. it was probably his idea.

- J.Q.H.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#608 Post by Mark de Croix »

Yes, I agree, likely TM's idea as he shows well he understands the power image of a cigar. I wonder if he had been influenced by Red Auerbach's cigar use, Selleck himself a one-time basketball star.

Surprisingly, at least to me, is the power Selleck had on production of MPI early on. Despite that he was yet to really be a leading man, he was first considered for the role of Han Solo in Star Wars. And I believe some of the actors in MPI previously worked with Selleck on other productions. That can't be coincidental; he brought them to be on MPI. He really did much to create the character of Tom Magnum and some of the storylines of the shows.

Further to my comments, I've wondered about why I liked MPI so much. I think's it's TM's narration, his voice, and besides being intelligent, he displays high integrity. But not only that, MPI exploits breaking the fourth wall, very well done by him in the green house after negotiating with Higgins. His facial expression matches the situation as if we are on his side, which we are. How often is breaking the fourth wall done generally in TV or movies? I haven't watched greatly much of either but it seems rarely used in what I have watched.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#609 Post by Pahonu »

Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:58 am Surprisingly, at least to me, is the power Selleck had on production of MPI early on. Despite that he was yet to really be a leading man, he was first considered for the role of Han Solo in Star Wars. And I believe some of the actors in MPI previously worked with Selleck on other productions. That can't be coincidental; he brought them to be on MPI. He really did much to create the character of Tom Magnum and some of the storylines of the shows.
I also read that Selleck auditioned for the role of Han Solo. He was one of an enormous list that included Al Pacino, Nick Nolte, Kurt Russell, Christopher Walken, and many others. The story goes that George Lucas didn’t want to use Harrison Ford again after his appearance in American Graffiti, so kept searching but ultimately went with his original preference, Ford.

Selleck absolutely had a significant role in his character’s development, but less so on the series as a whole. Bellisario played the biggest role there, taking Larson’s original fantastical treatment and adding his own ideas from a series called HH Flynn set in the LA area. CBS also insisted it be set in Hawaii to use the Diamond Head studios created for the canceled HawaiiFive-O. The result was MPI largely as we know it, but TM’s character was a more flawless, ladies-man, hero. Selleck had influence on his potential character largely because he had seen significant fan recognition as Lance White in the Rockford Files, and in various commercials. He had appeared in multiple pilots for TV series and was a top prospect for a starring role. He agreed to do the series only if his character was altered to be more human and relatable.

He did get involved in production of the series in later seasons. I’ve read nothing about his role in the casting of other roles, though he had worked with Larry Manetti in his second appearance on The Rockford Files. TM’s military background is very typical for Bellisario shows.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#610 Post by Mark de Croix »

Pahonu wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:17 am
>... I also read that Selleck auditioned for the role of Han Solo. He was one of an enormous list that >included Al Pacino, Nick Nolte, Kurt Russell, Christopher Walken, and many others. The story goes that >George Lucas didn’t >want to use Harrison Ford again after his appearance in American Graffiti, so kept searching but ultimately went >with his original preference, Ford. ...

My mistake. I meant Indy Jones. Indy Jones is a block buster character as we all know and according to the article below and another I read, Selleck had the role before Ford. However either his TV studio would not allow him to do it explicitly or the happenstance of scheduling prevented it. (One article said it was the former.)

https://theretronetwork.com/what-if-tom ... ana-jones/

Nevertheless it is very hard to displace Ford in our minds from the Indy Jones character. What is notable is the star quality of Selleck that he would get the nod before Ford despite the latter's previous great performance in Star Wars, a monumental film. It would be really interesting somehow to have both their performances as Indy Jones for comparison.   :geek: :geek:

Pahonu

#611 Post by Pahonu »

Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:42 am Pahonu wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:17 am
>... I also read that Selleck auditioned for the role of Han Solo. He was one of an enormous list that >included Al Pacino, Nick Nolte, Kurt Russell, Christopher Walken, and many others. The story goes that >George Lucas didn’t >want to use Harrison Ford again after his appearance in American Graffiti, so kept searching but ultimately went >with his original preference, Ford. ...

My mistake. I meant Indy Jones. Indy Jones is a block buster character as we all know and according to the article below and another I read, Selleck had the role before Ford. However either his TV studio would not allow him to do it explicitly or the happenstance of scheduling prevented it. (One article said it was the former.)

Nevertheless it is very hard to displace Ford in our minds from the Indy Jones character. What is notable is the star quality of Selleck that he would get the nod before Ford despite the latter's previous great performance in Star Wars, a monumental film. It would be really interesting somehow to have both their performances as Indy Jones for comparison.   :geek: :geek:
No worries about the mistake. You are correct, Selleck was Lucas’ first choice for Indiana Jones, but he had already committed to MPI and CBS held him to his contract, and he very professionally heals to that agreement. The unfortunate part of the story is that a writer’s strike delayed all TV production at the beginning of the 1980 season. That’s why there are only 16 first season episodes. Selleck could have filmed Raiders in the time he was waiting around in Hawaii for production to start. Of course, no one knew how long the strike would last so he was on hold.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#612 Post by Mark de Croix »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:25 pm
Robin Masters owns an American vehicle! The name GMC appears prominently on the vehicle Higgins washes. [...]
Robin 3 is well known in these parts. There are plenty of details in this thread with fellow Maniac Waverly being the expert on this particular vehicle: [...]

Styles, thank you for pointing out this truck is established in the show. I'm afraid an important distinction has been missed though. Typically the truck is unidentifiable (by name) as American but in my reference, "GMC" the name is made front and center quite visibly in the scene. Might not be accidental but related to the international trade frictions of the time.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#613 Post by Mark de Croix »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:50 am
Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:42 am Pahonu wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:17 am

No worries about the mistake. You are correct, Selleck was Lucas’ first choice for Indiana Jones, but he had already committed to MPI and CBS held him to his contract, and he very professionally heals to that agreement. The unfortunate part of the story is that a writer’s strike delayed all TV production at the beginning of the 1980 season. That’s why there are only 16 first season episodes. Selleck could have filmed Raiders in the time he was waiting around in Hawaii for production to start. Of course, no one knew how long the strike would last so he was on hold.
Pahonu, our man Tom is quite the beau, huh. At that time in his career it was quite extraordinary, his appeal. No wonder we all charmed. :geek: :geek:

Pahonu

#614 Post by Pahonu »

Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:09 am

Pahonu, our man Tom is quite the beau, huh. At that time in his career it was quite extraordinary, his appeal. No wonder we all charmed. :geek: :geek:
Hey Mark,
I mentioned it before on the forum some years ago, that I was a boy of about 9 when the series debuted. Both my mom and dad watched it and since there was only one TV in the house in 1980, I watched it too and very much liked it. I had watched the final couple of seasons of The Rockford Files with them too, but my mom and dad seemed to enjoy MPI for very different reasons that I didn’t completely understand at the time. I distinctly remember my mom and aunt, and a neighbor talking once about the sexy new lead in a show called Magnum pi. :shock: Regardless, I came to love the series and all these years later…

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#615 Post by Mark de Croix »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:32 am
Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:09 am

Hey Mark,
I mentioned it before on the forum some years ago, that I was a boy of about 9 when the series debuted. Both my mom and dad watched it and since there was only one TV in the house in 1980, I watched it too and very much liked it. I had watched the final couple of seasons of The Rockford Files with them too, but my mom and dad seemed to enjoy MPI for very different reasons that I didn’t completely understand at the time. I distinctly remember my mom and aunt, and a neighbor talking once about the sexy new lead in a show called Magnum pi. :shock: Regardless, I came to love the series and all these years later…
Most assuredly, Pahonu. I suppose males and females differ in their attraction to MPI. For males, like myself, the whole fantasy of TM's life is awesome; for females, TS himself. It would be interesting to know data on this. There must be figures for the proportion of fans, male vs. female. Have you seen anything like that?