Most Annoying Character

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Most Annoying Character

#1 Post by T.Q. »

Just saw David Huddleston in a Star Trek NG rerun (Again, think I wrote about this few years ago).

So what popped into my head was he's my most annoying character* in Magnum, P.I.

The Frank Peterson scenes almost get me angry. :x :lol:

Who did you find the most annoying?

* Although I appreciate her work as an actress, Magnum's mom Katherine Peterson (Gwen Verdon) is a close second.
That voice??? :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Most Annoying Character

#2 Post by T.Q. »

I found Tracy Spencer (Annie Potts' character) pretty annoying too. :P :P :P

- Legacy from a Friend
- A.A.P.I.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:04 pm Just saw David Huddleston in a Star Trek NG rerun (Again, think I wrote about this few years ago).

So what popped into my head was he's my most annoying character* in Magnum, P.I.

* Although I appreciate her work as an actress, Magnum's mom Katherine Peterson (Gwen Verdon) is a close second.
Totally agree. I can't stand either one of them. Verdon was a total miscast and Huddleston made a career of playing assholes.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by eagle »

To me, the most annoying character is Luther Gillis.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:13 pm To me, the most annoying character is Luther Gillis.
I used to feel that way.

Luther grew on me though.

I like him now. :luther:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#6 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:46 pm
eagle wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:13 pm To me, the most annoying character is Luther Gillis.
I used to feel that way.

Luther grew on me though.

I like him now. :luther:
I can’t really hate Luther. :luther: Perhaps the funniest scene of the entire series is when he punches out one of the old ladies Higgins is teaching martial arts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#7 Post by 80s Big Hair »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:05 pm I found Tracy Spencer (Annie Potts' character) pretty annoying too. :P :P :P

- Legacy from a Friend
- A.A.P.I.
I liked her. Now this guy:
I could not stand. Mickey Dalrumple (played by Eddie Deezen) in 7.4 Squeeze Play.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by eagle »

80s Big Hair wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:07 pm
T.Q. wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:05 pm I found Tracy Spencer (Annie Potts' character) pretty annoying too. :P :P :P

- Legacy from a Friend
- A.A.P.I.
I could not stand. Mickey Dalrumple (played by Eddie Deezen) in 7.4 Squeeze Play.
This guy was annoying in WarGames as well -- I think that was maybe his deal.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#9 Post by 80s Big Hair »

eagle wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:42 pm This guy was annoying in WarGames as well -- I think that was maybe his deal.
I hope he took getting small parts playing "nerdy annoying guy" well. Perhaps he had the attitude, "I may be typecast, but unlike most other actors at least I am getting cast."

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by T.Q. »

80s Big Hair wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:07 pm

- Legacy from a Friend
- A.A.P.I.
Not Mikey. :x

Unk, Unk, Unk.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#11 Post by Pahonu »

80s Big Hair wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:12 am
eagle wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:42 pm This guy was annoying in WarGames as well -- I think that was maybe his deal.
I hope he took getting small parts playing "nerdy annoying guy" well. Perhaps he had the attitude, "I may be typecast, but unlike most other actors at least I am getting cast."
Deezen’s career in live action wasn’t very long as he was obviously typecast as the nerd. A friend of mine from college knew him, but I never met him. He began with Grease and by the late 80’s, early 90’s that was pretty much over. Magnum slotted in right at that time. He apparently has worked quite a bit as a voice actor since then. I remember seeing him many, many times in the same nerd role in the 80’s, but oddly not in any of the Revenge of the Nerds films.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Off the top of my head gotta go with Marcia Wallace!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#13 Post by ConchRepublican »

I agree completely about Frank Peterson and actually, it's one of the things I find the most interesting about my favorite show: that I find so many "important characters" annoying. Add Tom's mom Katherine Peterson to that list as well as Michele and, probably whom I find to be the most annoying of the recurring cast, Carol Baldwin.

There's another thread somewhere where we spoke about how none of Magnum's flames seemed to make sense for him, almost like they all (or most) were more "damsel's in distress" our Knight Errant needed to save. Maybe if we assume Gwen Verndon was told to play the role that way it might explain Tom's leaning towards those he can help as his mom doesn't give off that strong "I got this" matriarch vibe. If I follow that line of thinking then I guess it fits with Magnum being a fish out of water back in Virginia, how different they all are from the life he created for himself.

Or maybe that's the remnants of too many psych classes from college peeking through.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:04 pm Just saw David Huddleston in a Star Trek NG rerun (Again, think I wrote about this few years ago).

I have to agree with you. Gwen had no energy playing Katherine, underplaying her to such a degree I thought she sabotaged scenes. I don't get why either. She was a legendary dynamo on stage.
When I recently saw her on a Dick Cavette(Decades network)rerun from the 1970's she was illustrating great moments of 20th century dance. She did the most sensual dance moves, though she
was already middle aged. Her features did seem to age rapidly in the years before the start of Magnum, maybe she was ill.
Maureen O'Hara should have played Magnum's mother. John Ireland would have been a worthy foe for TM as Frank Peterson, it would be far more understandable that Katherine fell in
love with him than Huddleston.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Little Garwood »

Gwen Verdon was great as Magnum’s mom. I always saw her character as having been browbeaten by the dominating Frank Peterson and having been reduced by years of mental and verbal cruelty to what we saw. She remained a loving mother to Thomas but man, what a shell of a person she had become; thanks, Frank. :roll:

A couple of nominees:

“Joey”: Even though he’s just a name, Magnum’s commie cannon fodder half bruddah irritates just because Magnum’s annoying family and friends frequently mention his name. The Vietnam Memorial scene notwithstanding, Joey and his name are irritating.

Tran Quoc Jones. The kid seemed highly medicated, delivering his lines with even less emotion than a cult member or an electrolarynx. Tran Quoc gave off some seriously creepy vibes, so it came as no surprise that the actor, the pretentiously-named “Roland Harrah III”—(there’s two more just like him?!?)—croaked out at 21.

The winner, however, is Carol Baldwin. This unwelcome character was shoehorned into the (secondary) supporting cast. Kathleen Lloyd must have had a brilliant agent for her to have imo unjustly received special guest star credit. I forget which episode, but there is an especially irritating scene in which Higgins agrees with Perfect Carol at Magnum’s expense. There’s also Carol’s unconvincing drunk scene, which was more annoying than actual drunks.

To be fair, though, I thought Lloyd was quite good as Bridget Archer in Almost Home, so perhaps it was the way the Carol character was written that annoys more than the actor. Maybe I would feel differently if Patty McCormack continued with the role, or maybe not.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck