MPI Al's Automotive cap.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Tralfaz
Admiral

#46 Post by Tralfaz »

Anyone find the hats first appearance on MPI?
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#47 Post by rubber chicken »

I also watched The Chinese Typewriter on Friday. I actually liked it pretty well, though it did have a strange feel to it, like it was shot on a tight budget and wasn't able to be made perfectly presentable.

Here's some things I noticed in addition to what I think has already been said here:

The coolest thing for me was recognizing that Selleck and his partner both had apartments right next door to where fellow private detective Elliott Gould (playing Philip Marlowe) lived in The Long Goodbye. If I remember right, Selleck actually lived in the apartment which in the movie was the apartment of a number of young hippie nudist girls! Then Selleck's partner lived next door in the apartment which is in-between Selleck's and Gould's. The place is called High Tower Apartments and are just south of the Hollywood Bowl in LA. (google maps)

Robin's Nest was used only in a overview pan shot, no one is shown there.

Tom Selleck again uses the first name of Tom for his character, this time Tom Boston.

Tom Boston also has a military past, and was awarded the Silver Star.

Tom Boston is not alone in this show, but has a partner. Could you imagine Magnum P.I. with Magnum and a partner getting the same screen time?

Tom Boston is shown picking locks, like in Magnum P.I.

There is a stock footage shot in The Chinese Typewriter which also appears in Magnum P.I. It's a shot of a busy beach (I think Waikiki) and first a man walks away from one of those beach showers then a very attractive woman walks up under the shower and runs her hands through her hair.

I really enjoyed watching this movie / show pilot. I don't know what was involved with getting the rights to the show and airing it, but it's very cool of The Sleuth Channel to think of something this old and obscure and decide that it should be seen again. A big Thanks to them!
Last edited by rubber chicken on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#48 Post by N1095A »

Tralfaz wrote:Anyone find the hats first appearance on MPI?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe it was in "Adelaide".
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Sam »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe it was in "Adelaide".

I think you are right N1095A

http://rolandmans.com/Magum%20Files/EP_Adelaide.htm

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#50 Post by golfmobile »

rubber chicken,

WARNING! POTENTIAL SPOILERS, so don't read if you want to view the movie with no preconceptions!

I also enjoyed watching it but I may have been more critical than your generous assessment.

I felt the pilot wasn't picked up not because of TS but because of JWJr. Though he seemed to be trying very hard (too hard?) to be charming and cute and clever, to my way of thinking, he fell flat. And the side plot of his ex-wife and son seemed to be too much "padding" and served no purpose (except to make him willing to risk the job for the money for the son, etc., etc.) He didn't hold his own as a partner, and even as a sidekick didn't measure up, IN MY OPINION, to Rick, TC, and certainly not JQH.

The plot was weak, and WAY too much time was spent in "action" sequences that weren't very "action-y." E.g., the starting up of the jet and taking off, the silly car chase scene(s) -- far too long for no point except to take up time. For an hour and a half show, it could have been an hour show WITH commercials (i.e., closer to what should have been a 42-minute show). Far too many head shots of the characters when nothing was really going on, just showing them to illustrate expressions??? :shock: :?

The "ending" with the jet and pilot flying off again made no sense when considering earlier characterization of the pilot -- this just didn't "work" for me.

BUT, also, a la Magnum, TS's character does the "dress-up-like-the-insurance-agent-in-the-suit-and-wearing-glasses-and-con-one's-way-in-to-see-the-villain" schtick.

I found Tom Boston's mannerisms and manner of speaking to be almost exactly like Magnum's, so perhaps he had established, via his pilots, this being one of them, his on-camera persona by then? Different from the Lance White character, more like what we know and love as MPI. So I found the Tom Boston character appealing, but the show just didn't measure up to his ability. But then I'm prejudiced, right?

So don't let MY opinion keep anyone else from viewing the movie. As Selleck fans, I'm sure we all will enjoy it in our own ways. Let's just say I understand why this one was not picked up to be a series.

But I'm also glad that Sleuth Channel decided to "buy" it and broadcast it. Otherwise, we MPI fans would never have been able to see it and see what really preceded MPI -- and can rather judge why MPI worked when others didn't. I begin to appreciate the importance of the MPI Hawaii setting more, after viewing this one.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#51 Post by rubber chicken »

I actually agree with most of what you're saying, no one should look for this thinking they'll see a quality program. Having said that, I did have a very good time watching it, so my opinion reflects that. I knew it was a failed pilot going into it so I wasn't expecting much. I laughed with the show at the bad parts and enjoyed the parts that were better, so it was a positive experience for me.

Since you touched on it, there were many problems which left me wondering what caused them, and how Magnum P.I. even in it's first show was so much more refined.

For instance the plane they show on the runway is obviously in the same exact location, and shot from the same angle through the whole show even though one time it's supposed to be in LA and another it's supposed to be in South America. And if I remember right it looked like it was in Hawaii the whole time anyway. Also both times when it was turning around was obviously the same footage.

And the car the airport sent to try and stop the plane was driving at night even though the plane was taking off in broad daylight!

When they came out of the airplane hanger there was a man in a white shirt who had no business being there (part of the crew?) just standing in the background when the hanger was filled with soldiers going after Boston (Selleck).

And speaking of the hanger, they had Boston just walk around the place for like two minutes looking for a way to get an airplane out of the enclosed hanger and away from at least 20 sleeping soldiers, the camera just kept showing his shoes walking and him moving around holding his gun. Hey Tom Boston, it ain't going to happen, move on! It was hilarious really, very good comedy and I appreciate that. :D

Aside from these and more problems involving plot and characters etc. I still had a great time.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#52 Post by N1095A »

Sam wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe it was in "Adelaide".

I think you are right N1095A

http://rolandmans.com/Magum%20Files/EP_Adelaide.htm
Wasn't it interesting that TM packed a change of hats for his stay with Norman?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Sam »

Wasn't it interesting that TM packed a change of hats for his stay with Norman?

I wonder if Higgins packed his bag?? :lol:

N1095A..I checked out Christine Belford on IMDB.She was away from TV from 1999 until 2007 when she appeared in a tv show..Ruffian..A horse story of all things..

She has a web page that shows she has been active in commercials..

Take a look at her headshots..Is that the face of a 59 year old? She looks better today than she did 27 years ago....I'm also 59 and I just look....well..I look old. :D

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... l%26sa%3DG

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#54 Post by Doc Ibold »

Looks like she did a lot of VO work.

There's some bucks in that. Some of the VO people we work with have studios in their own basements, so they don't even need to leave the house to go to work!

Heck, any job where I get paid to talk in my pajamas or a pair of jeans in the comfort of my own home is all right by me!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#55 Post by golfmobile »

What picture are you looking at? The B&W one? I don't think that's current.

Unfortunately, THIS one looks more like the face of a 59-year-old:

Not to be unkind (hey, none of us at 59 looks as we did when 29 -- or even 39!), but let's not mistake an old publicity or "glamour" shot for current appearance. Sadly, we must be realistic (remember even our beloved Tom Selleck is also showing his age . . . . . ).

She still looks lovely, but not really young.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Sam »

I agree Doc,VO work can be quite lucrative for those with that certain voice.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Sam »

Ah Gee thanks golf.Seriously,I did figure it was an older photo.
I looked on google to see other photos and came up with this tidbit.

Growing up Christine lived in the Amityville Horror House.

http://truelegends.info/paranormal/owners.htm

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: MPI Al's Automotive cap.

#58 Post by T.Q. »

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

TBOU
Lieutenant

#59 Post by TBOU »

I got one, it’s pretty good quality. The colors do run some if wet, so I ended up getting another and I wear the more worn one for runs.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by only looking »

You know it makes me happy every time I see one of those hats, I was one of the very few people who made those when they first four popular years ago as no one was making a replica and now you can find them right and left the only real difference between those in the ones I used to make was mine was actually vintage old stock trucker hats that matched up to the screen used ones the newer ones seem to be a little lower profile but are very very close and was very surprised at the Quality.
It made me do it Higgins!!!