Magnum Gear

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Brad_Ny
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#16 Post by Brad_Ny »

Are you going to redo the 44 as well and post so we all have a perfect copy to bring to a t shirt printer? I would loooove to go have a couple of these made. The 44 on Magnum's shirt was a bit taller and thinner than in the sample posted above.
You might be able to use this pic to get a really accurate outline of the head.
http://tikitv.com/bbbccc.jpg
Last edited by Brad_Ny on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, nice job Matthew! It looks great! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

mathewj
Lieutenant

#18 Post by mathewj »

Hey thanks for the response - I'm glad people like!

Dan I don't mind at all if you want to use, tweak and send off to a printer - and I'd love I'd love a copy of what you can do, we'll have to keep in touch.

The shape of the head towards the back is probably a bit 'warped' and needs a touch-up.

I know exactly what you mean about the 44 too Brad - I left the middle triangle bits out of the middle of the number, but when they are in it actually makes the 4s look a little thinner and longer. It was my only sticking point but at the time I thought 'that'll do for now'.

I'll have a look at the 44 at some stage but probably won't be immediately.

Cheers all,
M@

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Danno »

Hey Mat,
I've tweaked your logo and overlaid it with your screenshots.
Thanks so much for posting them. I don't have a computer with a DVD drive.

There's a few corners that need tidying, but here it is for comments, guys- if you see something that you don't think looks right, let me know.

Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

mathewj
Lieutenant

#20 Post by mathewj »

Hey again Dan,

That looks Awesome!

Great job.

What are your plan for trying to get in onto a T or Tank at this stage?
I think you mentioned something about having it printed - I have no experinece in this whatsoever. Are there commercial places that do this? and are they easy to find etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

and again - nice job.

M@

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#21 Post by golfmobile »

As a stop-gap measure, there is a kind of "transfer" "paper" that you can buy to iron the design on a t-shirt. I'm not sure how hardy it is to put up with numerous washings, probably not too sturdy, but search on line for iron-on transfer paper. Then you can just print that design (backwards) on a piece of the transfer paper and then iron it on a t-shirt.

I think the reason it doesn't stick REALLY well is that a regular clothes iron does not provide the heat, steam, weight, and size combination of a full-sized presser that t-shirt shops use. If you can find a t-shirt shop that "makes 'em while you wait," you might be able to get them just to do the pressing for you for a small fee, since you aren't using one of their designs. Of course, you might have to buy one of their t-shirts. But you might want to try it yourself first to see if you are satisfied with it. Just remember to "mirror image" your picture before printing because you have to put it "face" down, of course, to iron it on, then peel the backing off; so the picture on the transfer paper has to be actually the reverse of what you will see on the t-shirt.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Brad_Ny
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#22 Post by Brad_Ny »

Dan wrote:Hey Mat,
I've tweaked your logo and overlaid it with your screenshots.
Thanks so much for posting them. I don't have a computer with a DVD drive.

There's a few corners that need tidying, but here it is for comments, guys- if you see something that you don't think looks right, let me know.

Do you have a larger resolution image of that so once its blown up to print size it doesn't get jagged around the edges. The highest resolution you can make would really be great.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#23 Post by golfmobile »

While looking at the picture in the post above, hit F11 on your computer. It makes the message be the whole screen (no window frames around it taking up space). When I do it, it makes the picture 9" x 7" -- and if you take a screen shot of that, it shouldn't distort THAT much if your monitor/screen resolution is set fairly high. And even that 9x7 is hardly a tiny logo. Wouldn't that be about the size on his t-shirt anyway?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

mathewj
Lieutenant

#24 Post by mathewj »

I've tried something very similar Golf but using transfer ink. Its basically the same idea but you can paint this stuff onto any normal paper (in the shape of your logo in reverse).
It went pretty well - however faded by about 50% in the first wash.

My next step is going to be to try using a more permanent fabric die and a stencil - but there's a high risk of the ink running under the stencil.

I think finding a fabric or T-shirt printing 'outlet' is going to be the most successful method short of:
silk screening:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_8IMx0uMo
or
stencil painting:
http://youtube.comwatch?v=8cqCyx6CnCA&feature=related

I'm not sure about stencil painting given the size of the actual logo - but it works well in the above tutorial:

I'll keep you posted on my success.. or failure. - any other's attempts would be great to hear about also.

M@

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Danno »

mathewj wrote: I think finding a fabric or T-shirt printing 'outlet' is going to be the most successful method
Guys, the simplest method may be for me to arrange this.
I've found a place that will print logos onto sports singlets.

I'll let you know how much they charge and if they can provide a prototype for you to see.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

mathewj
Lieutenant

#26 Post by mathewj »

Would love to see what you can do Dan - and how much it might cost.

Have we heard back from 'John' yet - from what I can tell he was the guy to started this thread - would like to know his thoughts on our progress !

M@

Matt J
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#27 Post by Matt J »

Does anyone know where to obtain TS' purple hawaiian shirt?

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Magnum's bathrobe

#28 Post by N1095A »

Anyone have a source for the green hooded bathrobe? I've been able to find lots of green ones, but seem to have trouble finding one with the hood.

Also, I thought I'd share this one. My wife and I have had a water bed since we met. When we got married, we kept it, and I've been sleeping on it for eight years. She'd had it for over twenty years, and it has finally come time to get rid of it. We were looking at alternatives. She mentioned that she kind of wanted a nice brass bed. That set my radar off. We went to many furnature stores, and she picked out several she liked. I'm sure you all know what I was looking for. I was kind of frustrated because the trend nowadays seems to have gotten away from the shiny MPI type of brass bed in favor of more antique looking ones. Yesterday we went into a wholesale direct type of store. Not only did we find the mattress and box spring we wanted for half the price that major furnature stores wanted, but there, gleeming in the corner is an EXACT copy of the MPI brass bed. Headboard, footbord, and frame in king for $380.00! to top that off she said she really liked it. At this point I haven't mentioned to her that it's the same one as TM's. I think I'll wait until after we buy it, and set it up. Sorry this is so long, but I'm "giddy as a school boy" over this one!
"But Higgins, I can explain."

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by only looking »

Try ebay for the hooded bathrobe, I got one on there a year ago, I believe the brand name was MONARCH, try searching that.The shirt I also think is a Paradise found brand shirt called purple orchid.Hope this helps.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Icepick
Admiral

#30 Post by Icepick »

In regards to iron-ons done with your computer printer. I did an Island Hoppers iron-on about 5 years ago on a white Gap t-shirt. It did fade over time and looked a bit cracked but I still have it, although the t-shirt itself is in crap shape.

My sister in-law had the programme so I'm going to ask her about it this week so I can get more info and then post it here. I totally forgot about it actually.

I think taking any designs on disc and bringing it to a local t-shirt place is your best bet for good quality.